U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 02:29 PM

11 posts, read 16,075 times

Advertisements

Hi! My daughter will be starting college in Wilmington in August and we will be looking to make the move down to NC shortly after, just as soon as our home here in NY sells.

Would have visited several areas in NC during the years but feel most at home in the Charlotte area. Need some suggestions as to where to relocate to. School district is not a concern since my daughter will be in college. Looking for property (maybe 5-6 acres) to build our own home and keep a few lots if my two sons decide to move from NY too. My husband has a tile contracting business here in NY and will be looking for a company to apply for a job too.

Can anyone help us out with areas to look at that has property we can build on and have a few chickens in the back yard. And possible any leads on builders who are looking for an experienced tile mechanic who can run the job and get it all done.

Thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 02:48 PM

71 posts, read 66,396 times
I know Charlotte city proper does not allow farm animals like chickens, goats and horses in residential areas. Man, for 5-6 acres near Charlotte you will be competing with the builders. How close were you hoping to be?

Old 05-17-2016, 04:00 PM

21,967 posts, read 27,252,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamachado View Post
Hi! My daughter will be starting college in Wilmington in August and we will be looking to make the move down to NC shortly after, just as soon as our home here in NY sells.

Would have visited several areas in NC during the years but feel most at home in the Charlotte area. Need some suggestions as to where to relocate to. School district is not a concern since my daughter will be in college. Looking for property (maybe 5-6 acres) to build our own home and keep a few lots if my two sons decide to move from NY too. My husband has a tile contracting business here in NY and will be looking for a company to apply for a job too.

Can anyone help us out with areas to look at that has property we can build on and have a few chickens in the back yard. And possible any leads on builders who are looking for an experienced tile mechanic who can run the job and get it all done.

Thanks in advance....
You probably will need to look out from Charlotte, a bit, for the acreage. Look around Gastonia & Kings Mountain. That would put your husband in a commutable position for businesses in part of Charlotte, Huntersville, Gastonia, Shelby, & Hickory.

You could also look north of Charlotte around Kannapolis & Harrisburg. Look at a map & see which which works better for you.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:28 AM

39 posts, read 35,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBetaZeta View Post
I know Charlotte city proper does not allow farm animals like chickens, goats and horses in residential areas.
That's not true at all. In Charlotte you can keep 20 chickens/fowl/rabbits per acre, so the average 0.5 acre lot in the suburbs can get a permit for 10 chickens/rabbits. Cloven-hoofed animals require 1/4 acre of grazing area per animal, so if you're in the exurbs you can likely keep one or two goats.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You probably will need to look out from Charlotte, a bit, for the acreage. Look around Gastonia & Kings Mountain. That would put your husband in a commutable position for businesses in part of Charlotte, Huntersville, Gastonia, Shelby, & Hickory.

You could also look north of Charlotte around Kannapolis & Harrisburg. Look at a map & see which which works better for you.
Just to add something on builders, there are builders in Belmont, Cramerton, & Gastonia. A Charlotte builder recently built an apartment complex in Kings Mountain named Cambridge Oaks. They recently got permission to expand the complex. I'd suggest that you call the zoning departments of the cities of Belmont, Gastonia, & Kings Mountain & the town of Cramerton & ask for builders' names.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBetaZeta View Post
I know Charlotte city proper does not allow farm animals like chickens, goats and horses in residential areas. Man, for 5-6 acres near Charlotte you will be competing with the builders. How close were you hoping to be?
Suburbs is fine.... Use to commuting here in NY.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Just to add something on builders, there are builders in Belmont, Cramerton, & Gastonia. A Charlotte builder recently built an apartment complex in Kings Mountain named Cambridge Oaks. They recently got permission to expand the complex. I'd suggest that you call the zoning departments of the cities of Belmont, Gastonia, & Kings Mountain & the town of Cramerton & ask for builders' names.
Thanks, we will look. I've looked at Waxhaw and love the area there, just wondering if anything else.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamachado View Post
Thanks, we will look. I've looked at Waxhaw and love the area there, just wondering if anything else.
West of Charlotte hasn't seen the build-up that Union County has seen. The builder of the Kings Mountain apartment complex has also built in Morganton & Asheville.

Locating west of Charlotte could also open up proximity for multiple locations, if your husband will be following jobs. It's something to keep in mind. Check the maps. You might also want to ask about the I 85 corridor north of Charlotte.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:30 AM

5,884 posts, read 7,739,046 times
I would check far eastern Mecklenburg, Midland/Locust, Unionville/Fairview, maybe parts of Monroe. That would also put you closer to Wilmington if that's of any concern.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:25 PM

8 posts, read 15,720 times
I'd say Monroe, away from downtown area, Pageland if you really want to go out, and get a lot for the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or