Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 10:34 PM

25 posts, read 67,017 times

Advertisements

We love 1960's ranches. And going around coulwood neighborhood find that neighborhood peace and quiet. Big lots and nice brick ranches. And also close to uptown. Find a home for sale and we are interested. Please share your thoughts on the future of coulwood like is the neighborhood towards better or worse.. in terms of living, safety, market value or whatever. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 10:37 PM

When driving around I felt It is especially these encroaching builders building/built cookie cutter neighborhoods bordering around there spoiling this established neighborhood.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:40 PM

No interest from anyone or response. Guess I got the answer. No hope for the west even though I am starting to learn there are few hidden well established communities but starting to crumble as their owners are old or starting to move away. :sad:

Old 06-08-2016, 07:58 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,336,332 times
The neighborhood has its drawbacks , but those are a minimum. I know longtime friends/relatives who lived there in the past , and wouldn't hesitate to give it another go. One thing you must understand , on this forum , anything excluding far flung suburbia , S. Charlotte , or the 'trendy hip young professional' areas downtown gets a bad rap. Take the lack of replies lightly.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:02 PM

The area has its drawbacks , but those are at a minimum. I know longtime friends/relatives who lived there in the past who have returned , or would give it another go. This forum is primarily used by champions of suburbia , S. Charlotte , or the 'trendy , hip , young professional' areas close in , so anything excluding these areas gets bad press. Take the lack of replies lightly.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
The area has its drawbacks , but those are at a minimum. I know longtime friends/relatives who lived there in the past who have returned , or would give it another go. This forum is primarily used by champions of suburbia , S. Charlotte , or the 'trendy , hip , young professional' areas close in , so anything excluding these areas gets bad press. Take the lack of replies lightly.
Makes sense.

When told my colleagues about the house I like the universal response is "Is it in the SOUTH or NORTH?" You should have seen their reaction when they heard WEST.

Am giving it a try though signed a contract for house in coulwood. Hope we will feel home.

PS Hopefully riverbend village scheduled for 2017 which is less than 3 miles add good vibes to neighborhood I will still prefer local shops anyways

Old 06-08-2016, 09:25 PM

Eventually , that area will gentrify as well , especially if a planned development between Douglas and the lake takes effect. It seems the old money that is omnipresent within our civilization is making waves , for better or worse. Good luck with your move. A lot of forum members likely looked at the title of your inquiry and assumed you were playing , or some other reasoning. Don't let them discourage you.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:29 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,045,168 times
I think Coulwood is an absolutely awesome neighborhood. Mature trees. Tight knit neighbors. Amazing feel.

I would caution you to not own the most expensive houses in the neighborhood. If you can find a way to get in low and build up the ranch you can make a great investment.

I think it's safe. If you do end up pulling the trigger - get involved with the middle school/the sports page/the neighborhood - there are some people around the wood that have been there for over 50 years with all kinds of great stories and connections worth making. The same types of people that would mow your lawn while your out of town without you even knowing it. It really is like taking a walk back in time.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:23 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,571,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanneykar View Post
No interest from anyone or response. Guess I got the answer. No hope for the west even though I am starting to learn there are few hidden well established communities but starting to crumble as their owners are old or starting to move away. :sad:
It's not that there is no interest. It's that most on here, probably have no idea what your talking about. In terms of Charlotte size Coulwood is a very very small neighborhood. That being said It's unlike any other neighborhood in charlotte. Old mature, and with fairly sizable homes.

I live 2 miles away in a newer neighborhood called riverbend. I love the area. Yes there are some bad developments around, and yes there is some crime(where isn't there crime) My advice is don't shop at Bilo after dark. Don't stop at the 7/11 late at night if you're easily scared. I do both.(white male) If you do, you'll see a lot of black males, and some just assume that means more crime. I've never have had a problem.

My parents almost bought in coulwood for their retirement home. They ended up finding a home with 4.5 acres, not that far away, and went that route. I hope you enjoy your new home. I love the area.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
It's not that there is no interest. It's that most on here, probably have no idea what your talking about. In terms of Charlotte size Coulwood is a very very small neighborhood. That being said It's unlike any other neighborhood in charlotte. Old mature, and with fairly sizable homes.

I live 2 miles away in a newer neighborhood called riverbend. I love the area. Yes there are some bad developments around, and yes there is some crime(where isn't there crime) My advice is don't shop at Bilo after dark. Don't stop at the 7/11 late at night if you're easily scared. I do both.(white male) If you do, you'll see a lot of black males, and some just assume that means more crime. I've never have had a problem.

My parents almost bought in coulwood for their retirement home. They ended up finding a home with 4.5 acres, not that far away, and went that route. I hope you enjoy your new home. I love the area.
My bad shouldn't have jumped quick into conclusions. And very glad to read good opinions on the neighborhood. thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte