Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 10:16 AM

7 posts, read 21,674 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving to Charlotte area from England due to work and trying to locate good areas to rent a apartment in (quite, safe, etc). I dont have kids, so schooling is not an issue.

Can anyone help in locating either areas to consider or avoid.

many thanks
jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 01:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicce View Post
Hi, I am moving to Charlotte area from England due to work and trying to locate good areas to rent a apartment in (quite, safe, etc). I dont have kids, so schooling is not an issue.

Can anyone help in locating either areas to consider or avoid.

many thanks
jay

A lot depends on where your job is located. Can you give us more info on that, and on what amount you can afford for rent?

Old 11-29-2006, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 18,219 times
Jay, If you can tell me what area you will be working in( north, south, east or west charlotte) I would be pleased to Moderator cut: realtor soliciting business

Old 12-09-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbentley1 View Post
Jay, If you can tell me what area you will be working in( north, south, east or west charlotte) I would be pleased to help find you a place to live.
I am going to be home based mostly, and flying around the states so decent access to airport would also be good. My main priority is quite and safe area
thanks
jay

Old 12-09-2006, 12:37 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicce View Post
I am going to be home based mostly, and flying around the states so decent access to airport would also be good. My main priority is quite and safe area
thanks
jay

Look for places in either south Charlotte (South Park area, Ballantyne area) or north OF Charlotte in places like Huntersville or Lake Norman.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:38 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,086 times
Jay,

What part of England are you from? My parents brought me over in '88 if you have the need to be around the English crowd let me know we have "chip" night and such! I was raised in Dagenham. Let me know if you need anything!

Old 12-09-2006, 07:23 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Hey charloteagent

Can I come to chip night?? I miss the fish and chip shops at home. We are from Cork, ireland

dorothy

Old 12-09-2006, 07:27 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,086 times
Sure I think the next big one is going to be in Feb. It will be in Huntersville.

Old 12-10-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Jay,

What part of England are you from? My parents brought me over in '88 if you have the need to be around the English crowd let me know we have "chip" night and such! I was raised in Dagenham. Let me know if you need anything!
Hi CharlotteAgent,
I am from the midlands, dont laugh, place called milton keynes. Fish & Chips sounds good, right now I am concerned with looking to place to stay, bit difficult, when searching from long distance.

Thanks
Jay

Old 12-10-2006, 01:23 PM

4 posts, read 15,574 times
Hi mate,

I lived in Charlotte for 6 years and still go back twice every year for my job but presently live in Leeds so I think I might be able to help you out a bit.

First off, anywhere in the southern side of Charlotte is going to be safe and quiet. People have so much space in the US, quiet really isn't a problem unless you move into really low rent flat or student housing! To help you find somewhere, you can try www.realtor.com (broken link) which will let you find rental accomodation. If you want a house mate type arrangement, try www.roommates.com. Get a room rental with utilities included. Saves the headache of dealing with bills!

As you may know, US is a very car oriented country and much more so in Charlotte though there's some form of public transport. Truthfully, anyone moving to Charlotte had better get a car but that's not expensive and fuel is about 1/3 of what they are in the UK.

Grocery stores are everywhere and they are all huge so no worries there. The variety might make your head spin though. Charlotte is a very wealthy city and very conservative as well relative to the UK. So if your into alternative lifestyle, it's going to be a bit dull. Otherwise, it's quite vibrant if a bit more blinkered but you probably know that already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: