U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2006, 02:57 PM

33 posts, read 72,212 times

Advertisements

Phew! That was a long thread title, eh?

Well, my younger sister and her native Charlottean DH have been Down they'ah from Falls Church, VA for over three years now. They live 3 miles from the city and she does like it, but readily confesses that she is not real familiar with areas outside of where they go. She has great things to say about the YMCA.

Ok now, here goes: We live in what is know as a "Smart Neighborhood" where all the houses were built with fiber optic to the basement and our internet, cable and phone all come under one company named OPENBAND.

My DH is high up in the OPS side of IT, and his number one issue is that IF we move so I can be near my sis and help her with her 2 and 3 year old, he needs to have fiber to the house or something better called gig-e. IS there any area in Charlotte or it's surrounding counties where this exists? Being a comp geek, he has us networked with a firewall in the basement and we have a combination of laptops and desktops - 8 I think

We already know we need to have a house as large as we have here 4 beds, 4.5 baths. I have a 6 foot grand that needs it's own room...currently it takes up 1/2 of my living room! My mother in law will be with us, and my 13 year old, but my son will be in his first year of college by the time we get down there.

Believe me, we are very friendly, moderate Epsicopalians, and want to make some good friends and have good freinds for our daughter, who currently is going through a sort of alternative stage, but spreads it well with the Aeropostale look - which she seems to think is preppy(?!) We are all very used to diversity up here, but live in a very quiet neighborhood. We do not go into DC much anymore as the traffic is heinous outiside of this area, but do like the ecletic, mom & pop stores and restaruants, rather then homogenous...but are pretty much forced that way here.

I like book clubs (not the bible study kind) and am a medium wine snob, but do like Japanese Beer. I have been a stay at home mom since my son was 5 and my daughter was 13 months. Before that I was an accountant but that never mixed well with this Gemini's socializing ability
It'd be nice for my DH to make some friends too. Our daughter Plays French horn and takes riding lessons, so we need to know if these 2 things can be continued there.

Lastly, we do like sweet ice tea. I was born in TEXAS(!) lived in VA since 1979. We've never said iced tea...I say Pop instead of Soda, we are a Coca Cola family, and love 'cue. My kids call my MIL gammaw. She and I are sorta like Lucy & Ethel...Of course, 32 years separate us but we get along like two peas in a pod. Aw Shucks! Sure'nuff had my say here for now.

Last edited by brassy&bold; 11-25-2006 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Need to change the thread title for better accuracy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,083 times
Default wired

Brassy
I live a couple of miles from you in Loudoun Valley Estates. Out home is not a smart community, but I know what you refer to...
Anyway, we are looking at Charlotte as a relo, will keep your question in mind and let you know if I see anything.
By the way - does your Husband work for a DoD contractor? GIG-BE stands for 'Global Information Grid - Bandwidth Expansion' - basically the DoD's private Internet backbone....

Old 11-26-2006, 04:33 PM

33 posts, read 72,212 times
No, he doesn't work for DOD, but was referring to GIG-E not GIG-BE. he works for a local company named Servervault, INC. in Dulles - behind AOL. VP of Ops at for their 24x7 cleint server operations dept. SO he cannot keep the office from coming home ANd the early morning calls are really grating on me, I can tell you. THe kicker will be how to use what he has and at least keep his current salary or get a bump, so we can do things that we cannot di here.

He has worked for contractors in the past and been at DIA and the Pentagon, but left that world years ago to try the outside world and wished he never left on most bad days!

Wow so you live in LVE? what are your reasons for relo to Charlotte? You pretty much know most things about us, thanks to my post.

My sister has Roadrunner thru TIme Warner is just as fast, but I wonder how backed up they get traffic wise when a lot of people get on at certain times.

My sister gave me her friend's name as a realtor, and I spoke with her today. She's really nice and used to work up here for At & T. If you want her number sned me a private message. She wants us to look at John Weiland homes. One development he does is next to Ballantyne, and the 3 others in Union County. We want to get a good house but cut out about 100 - 150k in the price. I think the real savings will be in real estate taxes as the sales and state income tax are 7% - more than here.

I've been down to visit my sister before but my DH has not, so We need to get back down there soon. We'd like him to get a job,k he could stay at my sister's and then when school finishes here, we'd move down. We'll see...

Last edited by brassy&bold; 11-26-2006 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or