Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 08:23 PM

6 posts, read 11,849 times

Advertisements

My family and I have decided to move to Charlotte in March.We are currently living in buffalo and cannot wait to get out the cold. We are coming on the first to find an apartment and employment. The only problem is we have no idea where to start. We are not rich. We are looking for a clean, safe affordable apartment. Any opinions on what area to start looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 08:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsond23 View Post
My family and I have decided to move to Charlotte in March.We are currently living in buffalo and cannot wait to get out the cold. We are coming on the first to find an apartment and employment. The only problem is we have no idea where to start. We are not rich. We are looking for a clean, safe affordable apartment. Any opinions on what area to start looking?
Define "affordable".

Old 02-16-2008, 08:34 PM

Well since we are only renting we can afford 500-700/month.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Well since we are only renting we can afford 500-700/month.
Simpson, I'm going to be honest with you - unless your family is just you, your spouse and one child, finding a family sized apartment in that price range in a nice, safe area will be hard, though if you can go up to $775 or so you will have more luck. You may want to look at some of the surrounding towns for a little cheaper housing okay? Look at Gastonia or Concord for instance.

Additionally, do not come here to live without first securing jobs. This is a very important thing to know - the job market for all jobs over minimum wage is very tight. Many people come thinking they will get a job in no time and are put in a bad financial situation when that doesn't happen.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:42 PM

Well we are coming in two weeks for a few job interviews. My spouse has five years collection experience. I am a CNA. I know he should be able to find a job in collections, but do you have any idea on what I have to do to have my certificate changed to the State of NC?

Old 02-16-2008, 08:46 PM

429 posts, read 730,320 times
lovesMountains, I agree. I went looking for a rental for a friend and couldn't come up with anything (homes) even in the areas like Harrisburg or Indian Trail for less than $800. Rentals are not as cheap as some people think. Some are actually, IMO, way overpriced! As for the job market, if you read some of the previous threads you will see that it's not that easy to get a job. Sometimes it takes months to even get called in for an interview. I wish you the best of luck and hopefully there is something available in Gastonia or Concord or maybe something has turned up in Indian Trail, Harrisburg or Monroe, just PLEASE do your research before making such a big step.Good Luck!

Old 02-16-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Well we are coming in two weeks for a few job interviews. My spouse has five years collection experience. I am a CNA. I know he should be able to find a job in collections, but do you have any idea on what I have to do to have my certificate changed to the State of NC?
Sorry, not sure about CNA qualifications. Even in collections things can be tough, so I really do hope your interviews turn into job offers

Once you know where exactly your jobs are located it would be easier for you to know which outerlying areas to look for places to rent in. If for instance, the job is in west Charlotte you could look for a place to rent in Gastonia. If it is in the University section of town you would be able to look in Concord for something. You really want to wait to find a place after you have a job or you could have a very bad commute to face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte