Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 08:47 PM

175 posts, read 204,500 times

Advertisements

Going to make this as short and brief as possible...we've lived in NJ our whole lives, but things took a downturn in the last half decade or so when we experienced financial hardship. I've thankfully left for college now (just finished my first year at UNCW), but my family MIGHT be following me out Jersey's exit door fairly soon. The only obstacle is that my dad for some reason has an undying loyalty to the state of New Jersey despite us having a very difficult time in the last several years...STUBBORN loyalty that I fear may hold us back from reaching our full potential.

We're an African-American (immigrant) family based in North Central NJ. We reside in a wealthy/upper middle class suburb 25 miles outside of NYC. One of the snobbiest towns in the whole state of NJ, it's known for having a high-ranking school district and very uptight, elitist residents who all live in a bubble. Hypocritical, too - a lot of residents would say the same thing but take exception to me saying it. Had awful growing pains here in this town which was a massive motivating factor for my choice to go as far away as possibly comfortable for college. Highly doubt we as a family would have remained in this particular town for nearly 15 years if the school district wasn't so reputable. Yes it is higher-paying in NJ, and we are only a train ride away from NYC, but I don't see any other pros in staying here outside of that. The COL is so overpriced here that it's not even funny. Another interesting factoid is that despite the salaries being higher in NJ on average, NC was recently ranked 3rd for starting businesses, while the home state was a lousy 47th. I personally have a pronounced distaste for the collective cultural attitudes of NJ residents, the irritating arrogance consistently on display (though my dad doesn't seem to see it that way...IDK why). The state as a whole is, simply put, incredibly overrated. There's a reason it always tops the list for the most moved-out-of state in the country each year...in addition to being the most disliked.

The entire family discussed the possibility over the weekend, so it's in the VERY early blueprint sketching stages. Mom aired her frustrations about how things have been in recent years for us and desires nothing more than a fresh start, as there's nothing really left for us here. I echoed her sentiments and went on to mention that that's one of the (many) reasons I left Jersey for college. Dad didn't say anything for some reason even though our struggles have arguably hit him the hardest of all. We discussed North Carolina, Maryland, and Virginia as possible options. Mom and I are looking at a move in summer 2017, but my sister would prefer to wait until the year after when she graduates from high school. Don't know exactly how my little brother, who enters high school this coming fall, feels about moving in general. Having spent a year in NC, I really like it a lot and would obviously prefer them coming down to live in the state with me to get in-state tuition for my senior year (among other reasons of course). Mom mentioned that she had heard great things about NC from (black) friends who relocated there. My siblings...are a different story. They seem to think that racism is still prevalent in the state for some strange reason (especially strange considering there are far more AAs in NC than there are in NJ, and also because NJ is one of the most segregated states in the country). I obviously think it's a great state, and would love for the family to move next year if NC is indeed eventually picked as the destination.

I plan on presenting this as a potential choice to my mom at the end of this week (not sure how receptive dad would be right now). I'm very interested in Charlotte, as I know that it's the second best city for business in America behind NYC. How would starting businesses (caring home for the developmentally disabled and a FitBiz aimed at empowering women) go for my parents? Which areas of Charlotte are great to live in? Which suburbs are the nicest? Which areas should we avoid? Would we fit in as AA transplants from NJ?

Last edited by rekaten; 06-21-2016 at 09:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 09:12 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekaten View Post
Which areas of Charlotte are great to live in? Which suburbs are the nicest? Which areas should we avoid? Would we fit in as AA transplants from NJ?
I can't really answer about starting a business, but I suspect there is a market for both the specialized business you mentioned.

There are already hundreds of threads on what the nicest suburbs of Charlotte are, as well as the less desirable areas.

There are already thousands of transplants from New Jersey. Regarding the parents' AA immigrant background, they would not be unique. There are restaurants and several food stores catering to West African and Caribean customers. They cluster near the UNCC in North-east Charlotte. I suspect the family would fit in well around the University area as it is very diverse with students and faculty from all over. One north-east suburb is Concord.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-22-2016 at 09:27 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 07:48 PM

Isn't the area near UNCC actually fairly crime-ridden?

Old 06-22-2016, 08:23 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,069,352 times
No. There is crime in the University area, but to generalize it as 'crime ridden' would be an overstatement. There a plenty of good neighborhoods in the University area.

To the OP - I think Charlotte had a lot of opportunity for the business you are interested in starting but would encourage you to look all over first. I wouldn't limit your search to University.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekaten View Post
Going to make this as short and brief as possible...we've lived in NJ our whole lives, but things took a downturn in the last half decade or so when we experienced financial hardship. I've thankfully left for college now (just finished my first year at UNCW), but my family MIGHT be following me out Jersey's exit door fairly soon. The only obstacle is that my dad for some reason has an undying loyalty to the state of New Jersey despite us having a very difficult time in the last several years...STUBBORN loyalty that I fear may hold us back from reaching our full potential.

We're an African-American (immigrant) family based in North Central NJ. We reside in a wealthy/upper middle class suburb 25 miles outside of NYC. One of the snobbiest towns in the whole state of NJ, it's known for having a high-ranking school district and very uptight, elitist residents who all live in a bubble. Hypocritical, too - a lot of residents would say the same thing but take exception to me saying it. Had awful growing pains here in this town which was a massive motivating factor for my choice to go as far away as possibly comfortable for college. Highly doubt we as a family would have remained in this particular town for nearly 15 years if the school district wasn't so reputable. Yes it is higher-paying in NJ, and we are only a train ride away from NYC, but I don't see any other pros in staying here outside of that. The COL is so overpriced here that it's not even funny. Another interesting factoid is that despite the salaries being higher in NJ on average, NC was recently ranked 3rd for starting businesses, while the home state was a lousy 47th. I personally have a pronounced distaste for the collective cultural attitudes of NJ residents, the irritating arrogance consistently on display (though my dad doesn't seem to see it that way...IDK why). The state as a whole is, simply put, incredibly overrated. There's a reason it always tops the list for the most moved-out-of state in the country each year...in addition to being the most disliked.

The entire family discussed the possibility over the weekend, so it's in the VERY early blueprint sketching stages. Mom aired her frustrations about how things have been in recent years for us and desires nothing more than a fresh start, as there's nothing really left for us here. I echoed her sentiments and went on to mention that that's one of the (many) reasons I left Jersey for college. Dad didn't say anything for some reason even though our struggles have arguably hit him the hardest of all. We discussed North Carolina, Maryland, and Virginia as possible options. Mom and I are looking at a move in summer 2017, but my sister would prefer to wait until the year after when she graduates from high school. Don't know exactly how my little brother, who enters high school this coming fall, feels about moving in general. Having spent a year in NC, I really like it a lot and would obviously prefer them coming down to live in the state with me to get in-state tuition for my senior year (among other reasons of course). Mom mentioned that she had heard great things about NC from (black) friends who relocated there. My siblings...are a different story. They seem to think that racism is still prevalent in the state for some strange reason (especially strange considering there are far more AAs in NC than there are in NJ, and also because NJ is one of the most segregated states in the country). I obviously think it's a great state, and would love for the family to move next year if NC is indeed eventually picked as the destination.

I plan on presenting this as a potential choice to my mom at the end of this week (not sure how receptive dad would be right now). I'm very interested in Charlotte, as I know that it's the second best city for business in America behind NYC. How would starting businesses (caring home for the developmentally disabled and a FitBiz aimed at empowering women) go for my parents? Which areas of Charlotte are great to live in? Which suburbs are the nicest? Which areas should we avoid? Would we fit in as AA transplants from NJ?
I'm assuming that your father is interested in starting the home for the developmentally disabled. That would also explain his reluctance to pick up & move. That's something where connections are important.

In this area, he should check out Holy Angels in Belmont.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:58 PM

Wait, really? I actually did not realize that. Thanks for that, it probably explains a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte