U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 04:55 AM

67 posts, read 44,572 times

Advertisements

Hi. We just returned from mount pleasant sc and were not pleased with the market down there. Any insight on schools, gated communities and life in lake Norman / mooresville? Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 07:48 AM

157 posts, read 146,915 times
The best schools in that area are Lake Norman High (Mooresville) and Hough High (Cornelius/Davidson).

Whats your budget and what are you looking for?

Old 06-23-2016, 08:59 AM

51 posts, read 43,540 times
I moved my family from Ohio to Mooresville 4 years ago and my kids (going to be 5th & 3rd graders) have gone to Lake Norman Elementary and loved it. I would recommend it or Woodlawn Heights Elementary that both feed into Lake Norman High School.We love living here with lots of great activities for the kids - YMCA, sports leagues, dance, etc. Also many great restaurants and main shopping stores close.

Not too many gated communities in Mooresville that I am aware of. The highest priced areas are the Point & Harbour. Trump Charlotte golf course is part of The Point. The Farms would be a level down from the first two, but all 3all feed into Woodlawn heights.

If budget more like 300k-$500k then alot of neighborhoods in the Lake Norman Elementary area.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:01 PM

Thank you so much! Our budget would be $500-600k Max...

Old 06-23-2016, 01:48 PM

Can you please send some more areas to look at where the schools are good? Meaning, names of developments with amenities....thanks

Old 06-24-2016, 02:40 PM

51 posts, read 43,540 times
The Farms, Harbour - Woodlawn Heights
-probably not going to find any homes in the Point at that price

Sundown Cove Estates (where I live), Harbour Cove, Windslow Bay, Morrison Plantation, Morrison Cove, Fernbrook were some of the great allotments we looked at - Lake Norman Elementary

Old 06-24-2016, 03:06 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,621,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 618719 View Post
The best schools in that area are Lake Norman High (Mooresville) and Hough High (Cornelius/Davidson).

Whats your budget and what are you looking for?
It's subjective as to what the "best" means. Many in Mooresville would argue that Mooresville High School is considerably better than LKN High. The Mooresville Graded School District (MGSD) is very highly rated in the state/nation.

Disclaimer: my kid will feed into LKN High so I'm not biased the other way.

Both are good to great schools and I'd be happy with my kid in either. Probably do need to research the both of those schools and where the dividing line between MGSD and Iredell County schools is however.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:38 PM

191 posts, read 319,307 times
First, I would urge you to visit any of the schools that you are considering. I have posted several previous posts about many of the schools, and all would welcome you to visit. I also urge you to reach out to the PTO for the schools you like and perhaps speak to a parent representative. Our Mooresville Area has two school districts, and both are rated very well. You must use caution when looking at the ratings that you find online, as they are not "apples to apples". Scores are computed on EOG (end of grade tests) but also more recently weighted by student growth scores. Some areas will show more growth, but that doesn't equate to better. Additionally, the school mentioned above is Woodland Heights Elementary, so you may not find much info if your given the incorrect name. I work closely with the PTO for many Lake Norman Area Schools and have attended many private school open houses for my previous clients, so if you have some direct questions, I'd be happy to provide you with what I know. There are many neighborhoods that will fit your price point, although we typically don't have many gated areas, there just isn't a need for them. ( I know that when we moved here from South Florida this really shocked us for a bit.) If you want to provide any additional details about your neighborhood requirements, I'll post a few recommended for you. Lot size, HOA, lake access, size or style of home, distance to work, activities you enjoy such as golf or tennis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or