Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:04 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvscoming2usall View Post
Fess up or else -- where are the real deal Italian restaurants hiding out here??

DH is Italian and a very accommodating one, rarely ever has a complaint. But whoa, it's been a major miss trying to find authentic, fresh Italian cuisine here in Charlotte. So bad so, that a franchise takes the culinary cake -- Magiannos, all props to them but shame to anyone working in an Italian restaurant here for not bringing anything to the competition.

Last week we happened upon Mama Ricotta's. Sorry to say entrees were extremely flavorless and would never have come out of DH's mom's kitchen.

Yesterday, had an itch for pizza. Unfortunately, Riccio To Go didn't meet that need. It was "NY" style but not by a long shot. Ragu sauce, cheese sparingly applied on top of the thinnest of crusts possible. Even our birds who lust for crust turned up their beaks. It honestly could have barely passed for a Barron's frozen type pizza.

So, what's the word? MIL's coming to town and it's going to seriously be a NASTY scene unless we find somewhere acceptable. TIA!

Ha my bird loves pizza crust too...He is the same kind as in these photos: BrooklynParrots.com: A Web Site About the Wild Parrots of Brooklyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 09:11 AM

185 posts, read 583,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Ha my bird loves pizza crust too...He is the same kind as in these photos: BrooklynParrots.com: A Web Site About the Wild Parrots of Brooklyn
Cute birds groove. My aunt had an african grey,he was so hansome.
SO groove tell us....... whats your birds favorite pizza place for the BEST crust, I'm sure they have an opinion just like everyone else.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:23 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
He is not too picky...but he seems to like Fratelli's. The crunchier the crust, the better.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 PM

103 posts, read 460,486 times
I can recommend:

Fiamma Restaurant
2418 Park Rd.

Enjoy!

Old 02-18-2008, 05:24 PM

232 posts, read 728,465 times
I loved Fontanellas...I think I posted this a while ago

Old 02-18-2008, 06:31 PM

69 posts, read 182,325 times
One more choice is Ciros in University Place (near Wolf Camera). Paul plays accordian, and is from Sicily. He makes the sauce and bread onsite every day.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:50 PM

21 posts, read 22,339 times
Quote:
Awww, African Grays are awesome and beautiful!! I bet he screams in no uncertain terms if he has a bone to pick with the "chef." Our parrots, thanks in part to MIL, shriek unspeakables at times.

We were off the mark as it sounds like there are a fair bunch of good restaurants to try here. Everyone's recommendations are much appreciated!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:02 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,055 times
Quote:
The crunchier the crust, the better.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tell people to "burn" my slice because they never reheat it long enough. If I pick up a slice of pizza and it droops, that restaurant fails.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:53 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,655 times
Asking which the best Italian place in Charlotte is usually a joke. Ever driven by Olive Garden on a weekend? Line out the door.

Honestly, I would say 3/4 of the italian food here is garbage (and overpriced). And unless you are Italian (or at least lived in the northeast with all the other Italians) you shouldn't be allowed to vote. I hear so many people say the love Portofino's. Yuck. Been to the Park Rd once and was grossed out.

I grew up in NE PA (surrounded by mom and pop Italian places) and have yet to find a decent place in South Charlotte. There are some pretty good upper scale places (my favorite is the gnocci at Il Posto Osteria in Philips Place). But mom and pop places in south charlotte...have yet to find a place I will go back to.

My suggestion...hop a plane to San Fran and hit North Beach!! For east coasters that have never been, give it a try!

Old 02-20-2008, 12:17 AM

716 posts, read 2,158,103 times
Does anyone remember the name of the place that used to be at the corner of South Blvd and East Blvd, where Fuel is now? That place was pretty great. Did they just move, or shut down entirely?

(ps...The double yellowhead Amazon I used to have loved pizza too! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte