Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singa View Post
I know exactly what they ment. I agree... Ops,, I did it again. I'm on the wrong thread.... anyone know how to get these off?
Singa - no worries- your post fits right in w/ everyone else's = we would never know you were on the wrong thread, LOL!!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:09 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I liked the "Behind the Starbucks, no the other starbucks'' comment. I swear I have seen at least 3 shopping centers in this town that have 2 starbucks. Whats even more interesting is that they seemed to have their grand opening around the same time. Honestly, why do we need two in one shopping center? are we that demanding of coffee?

No, we're that demanding of sameness..somewhere along the way, we have moved from embracing mom and pop establishments to embracing the big box/chain restaurants that spring up on the landscape over night like weeds on every corner. We travel from town and cities across state lines, shying away from anything that doesn't say applebeesloweswalmarttargetstarbucksmcdonaldswendy s.......

Our individualism is disappearing and that is scary IMO.....

That's why I built my house with a red roof in my black and gray roofed town.....

Old 02-19-2008, 08:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
No, we're that demanding of sameness..somewhere along the way, we have moved from embracing mom and pop establishments to embracing the big box/chain restaurants that spring up on the landscape over night like weeds on every corner. We travel from town and cities across state lines, shying away from anything that doesn't say applebeesloweswalmarttargetstarbucksmcdonaldswendy s.......

That's why I built my house with a red roof in my black and gray roofed town.....
Good for you! Love red roofs, tile roofs, tin roofs (wh/ one can get in red or green) . . . individuality is fun, but often HOA will not allow one to be "different" regardless of how refreshing that might be . . . so you are lucky your desire for a red roof was not squashed by someone else's rules.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:22 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,202 times
We don't havee an HOA. It is wonderful because we aren't used to them anyway, but then, sometimes I wish there were a few ordinances that were enforced.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Good for you! Love red roofs, tile roofs, tin roofs (wh/ one can get in red or green) . . . individuality is fun, but often HOA will not allow one to be "different" regardless of how refreshing that might be . . . so you are lucky your desire for a red roof was not squashed by someone else's rules.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:23 PM

Actually, I prefer the taste of my own. I know what I am getting each time! I have a fantastic espresso machine and use it daily!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, good question but we have had posters here from Seattle who say there are not enuff Starbucks here. REALLY! So I guess it is what you get used to. I rarely have a Starbucks or Caribou Coffee or anything else b/c I am too cheap to pay for it. I make mine at home. It is not that I don't like it - I am just too cheap.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:25 PM

Have you read Fast Food Nation? The entire premise of the book is the disappearing of our individualism. It even talks about how places like McDonald's have one slauterhouse in the US and each hamburger you eat probably has parts of several cows in it just to insure that if you order a hamburger in Pasadena, Maine, you will get the same taste as in Pasadena, California. It is scary!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte