U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:17 AM

28 posts, read 62,760 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking to relocate to the Charlotte area and will be working in the City.
I am looking for a nice surburban area...1/2 acre+ property would be nice and
a 30 to 40 minute commute into the City of Charlotte. The closer the better.

New Construction or even nice Lots to build. Kids will be out of school and off to college.

Please help in where I should be looking.

EDIT: Currently I live 60 miles NW of NY city in Orange county. I live in a split lever 2700 SF home on 1.220 acres and commute 2:15 minute 3 trains each way and am burnt out!

Thanks for your help.
Jed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 6,911 times
Mooresville, Belmont, Union County, Ft. Mill, Rock Hill, Denver to name a few.
There are so many areas within 30-40 minutes that are offer so much!

Old 02-18-2008, 09:31 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownTownNative View Post
Mooresville will NOT be within 30 to 40 minutes during rush hours, neither will most of Union County. Belmont is a good suggestion, as is Fort Mill.

If the OP insists on new construction it will be harder to stay at a 30 minute commute - 45 minutes minimum is more like it. Personally, with that much money to spend I'd look at one of Charlotte's established neighborhoods and get my commute under 30 minutes - but that's just me

Old 02-18-2008, 09:31 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,478,235 times
Agreed. I would drive around and see what side of town you prefer and then go from there.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 AM

622 posts, read 1,584,875 times
There are a number of factors to consider in addition to the commute:

TAXES (there can be a substantial difference based on the area)

SCHOOLS (Even though it is not currently an issue for your family, it will come into play if at some point you decide to sell)

COMMUNITY (We first moved into an area that was not conducive to our social life. The neighborhood was wonderful and consisted of young families. Unfortunately, we are "empty nesters" and had a difficult time finding people to socialize with).

The Charlotte area (North and South Caroina) has a lot to offer and I am sure (with due diligance) you will find your dream home.

When you have questions about an area that you are interested in, the board is a wealth of information. Especially LovesM. Even as a local realtor I always learn something from her responses.

Good luck in your search.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:15 AM

Belmarin,

Yes, taxes and schools are always a priority as you mentioned.
Our taxes in upstate NY went from 3,200 17 years ago to over 8,000 and this is cheap comapred to others in my area paying 13k to 15K...

I am also open to nice resales.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:43 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,548,969 times
You should be able to find a nice home (resale) at that price point relatively close to town. I agree with LovesMountains, start with established neighborhoods which will often have a larger lot size than new construction and will be closer in to town.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:01 PM

After reading more threads on board, I think that the south areas may be what I am looking for.

Can you compare the commute from Fort Mill, Tega Cay, Rock Hill, Matthews,Marvin, Waxhaw, Ballanyne areas to the City of Charlotte?

Also, How do the taxes and schools compare in these areas for a 3000sf home?

Thanks for the help

Old 02-18-2008, 01:05 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,711,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownTownNative View Post
I would definately delete Mooresville. You might make it Uptown in 30-35 minutes at 3am in the morning and even that would be pusing it. Not even 40 minutes during rush hour

Nice suburb though but out!

Belmont, Huntersville, Fort Mill, SC!

You would be limited with just a 30-40 minute commute and would not be able to go that far out due to traffic.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-18-2008, 01:28 PM

Since my current daily commute is 2:10 minutes each way I think I can live with up to one hours each way...maybe that opens up the Union area as well?
Would most likely take the bus and sleep or read anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or