U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 1,446 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My Parents just moved to NC from NJ and they just bought a new car. Since they are elderly, I volunteered to sell their old car privately. It is still registered and tagged in NJ. My dad still has an NJ drivers licence. I tried looking on the DMV website and I tried calling but I cannot find or get a direct answer to my question.

Here is my question.

How do I sell my Dads car!! I plan to run a craigslist add, find a buyer and make the trip to the DMV one miserable time.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 11:57 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,450,910 times
Did you call this number: (919) 715-7000? What did they say? Its a pretty straightforward question.

Edit: I don't *think* you'll have to title it in NC first, then sell it (or take it back to NJ and sell it there).

Last edited by BC1960; 08-08-2016 at 12:07 PM..

Old 08-08-2016, 12:06 PM

BC1960 - thanks for the reply. I did try calling that number and was on hold forever. I eventually hung up.

I *think* you'll have to title it in NC first, then sell it (or take it back to NJ and sell it there).
Really!? I feel like there has to be a way around registering it just to sell it. What a hassle.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:08 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,450,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalley View Post
BC1960 - thanks for the reply. I did try calling that number and was on hold forever. I eventually hung up.

I *think* you'll have to title it in NC first, then sell it (or take it back to NJ and sell it there).
Really!? I feel like there has to be a way around registering it just to sell it. What a hassle.
Sorry, I left out the "don't" (edited to correct that). I think NCDMV will accept the notarized NJ title, plus an application for an NC title from the buyer.

The phone number for the DMV office on Brookshire Hwy is 704-399-8306...it might be easier to get through to them.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:11 PM

471 posts, read 881,778 times
You have the original NJ title in hand? Just look at it and see what the fine print says about transferring. A few years ago, I bought a used car in NJ and drove it back to NC to be registered here. The seller signed the NJ title over to me and I took it to the NC DMV.

Selling tip: Take the car to Carmax and get a price. Work off of that figure to set your own rock bottom price.

Make sure when you sell the car that you remove the plates. The buyer is responsible for bringing temporary registration from the DMV.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:50 PM

925 posts, read 1,860,408 times
My parents brought me a car a few years ago from out of state. We went to the DMV, my mom signed it over to me in front of them and they gave me a license plate. I didn't have to have it inspected for another year. I may have had to show that I was able to insure it. I can't remember.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:55 PM

71 posts, read 72,003 times
I sold my jeep with a Florida based title recently. I just signed it over to the buyer at my home. I don't know if it's because Florida titles are different, but I never had anything notarized. They got it titled and registered in NC with no further assistance needed from me.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:01 AM

Thanks for all the advice.

So it seems the general consensus is that I do not need power of attorney to sell my fathers car.
Here is why that matters - he lives in Wilmington and I live in Charlotte (about a 3.5hr drive).
I plan to drive out this weekend, pick up his car with the signed title and drive it back to Charlotte so I can sell it.
I'd hate to leave Wilmington and get to Charlotte only to realize I missed a necessary step.

Thanks again!
-Ryan

Old 08-09-2016, 05:16 AM

271 posts, read 350,167 times
Going through this right now as I'm "gifting" my son's NV titled car to him. He went into DMV yesterday, they need the signed title (not notarized unless it is a NC title) and the Damage Disclosure Form filled out by the seller. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2016, 09:38 AM

5,895 posts, read 7,750,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalley View Post
Thanks for all the advice.

So it seems the general consensus is that I do not need power of attorney to sell my fathers car.
Here is why that matters - he lives in Wilmington and I live in Charlotte (about a 3.5hr drive).
I plan to drive out this weekend, pick up his car with the signed title and drive it back to Charlotte so I can sell it.
I'd hate to leave Wilmington and get to Charlotte only to realize I missed a necessary step.

Thanks again!
-Ryan
How do you plan on driving both cars back to Charlotte? Seems like that could be a lot of wasted time and money (gas, if you have to rent a uhaul etc.). I can't comment on the title stuff but I'd definitely see what Carmax offers and see if that is close enough to the value that would make it worth not having to deal with all that other stuff (including the albeit small risk of possibly having your car stolen/getting killed because of a Craigslist ad).

But if you do go the craigslist route, would it be easier to post in the Wilmington section and arrange the meeting for when you might be there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or