U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:16 PM

454 posts, read 1,567,151 times
Every time I see news about the breakin spree that's going on in Charlotte recently I wonder the same thing because the news says the same thing- that the criminals are knocking on people's front doors even in broad daylight and if no one answers, they kick in the front door and steal. I think the same thought every time: Is it THAT easy to kick in a front door??? Like you can just be in someone's home in a few seconds from *kicking in the door*?? Doors are that easy to kick in??!! Then why do I waste time feeling halfway safe when a stranger knocks on my door if he can just kick it in and be in here, what's the lock and deadbolt for? Yikes!

I'm not in Charlotte anymore but am looking at my front door thinking about how someone could just walk up and kick it in right now, just like that? It makes me think if someone wanted to hurt me they could be in here before the police could even get here if I was sitting here watching them kick the door in! What the heck...

I think the police in Charlotte are just overwhlemed at the sheer volume of calls they get, it seems like they don't really have a lot of time to be thorough or put more men on it because they have so many calls to respond to. City leaders should do more, what does it take to help this- hire more law enforcement, better training, or more neighborhood watches? More visibility? Tougher sentencing? I think the issue seems to spread farther than just one solution..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 03:43 AM

4,282 posts, read 6,967,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post
Is it THAT easy to kick in a front door??? Like you can just be in someone's home in a few seconds from *kicking in the door*?? Doors are that easy to kick in??!!
Actually yes.

Open your front door and inspect.
My home is a bit older and has a wooden door and frame.
The deadbolt might stick out 2" into a metal plate that is attached to the wooden frame. It could be kicked-in in short order for a determined individual.

My advice is have insurance, and an alarm system.
If you are home and someone knocks on the door, answer it or at least do something that lets them know someone is at home.

Beyond that you could arm yourself and take a gun safety class.
Which we did. If an event would ever (God forbid) happen in my home, when the police arrived there would only be one version to the story - mine.
I consider myself a pretty understanding and compassionate individual, but at the top of my responsibility list is protection of my family and myself.

Just know that it is NOT the fault of the police, they would lock up all of these scumbags if it was up to them. Like was already said, our local system has been a revolving door for years and nothing has changed.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:30 AM

3,665 posts, read 6,349,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post

carolina guy...
Well I can say break in's happened to my neighbor if that matters more. The thing is they are happening all over the suburbs of Charlotte and this is just one example.

Where in this thread did I disagree with you? I only said you need to do something about it in November by voting for McCrory and Pittenger.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:13 AM

889 posts, read 2,094,418 times
About 4 months ago when i was working in Charlotte i went to lunch with a person i did business with. He picked me up and off to lunch we go. After lunch, we got in his vehicle and he immediatly noticed his briefcase was missing along with his digital camera. At first he thought he may have forgotten to lock his car but upon further inspection it was clear they got in with a slim Jim auto lockout tool. He calls the police to make a report and the Police dept. told him they DO NOT respond to those calls!!!!
A few minutes into this ordeal he gets a phone call from a guy asking him if he is missing a brief case.Come to find out, this other guys window was smashed in, his laptop stolen ( all in broad daylight!!) and the thiefs had "dump" the briefcase along side the newest car they had broken into!!!
Apperanty this is a "waste" of time for the police dept. and of course what can they do at that point but what kind of message is being sent to these people that commit the crime??

Old 02-21-2008, 06:16 AM

10,279 posts, read 10,976,417 times
Why would you leave those items in your car in plain view during the day anyways??? Just my 2 cents..You're just asking for trouble..

Old 02-21-2008, 06:18 AM

5,231 posts, read 3,803,851 times
This break-in stuff is being done by the same thugs over and over and over. Folks, if you see ANYONE suspicious in your area. I.E. people who don't belong there and you know who I mean! Report it! Don't just assume the next person will. At least take a mental check of what you see. Its obvious that law enforcement can't do it alone here. Coming from the Northeast, this is a different type of hostility than I've seen.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:00 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,713,085 times
You think it's bad that they won't respond to a car break-in, they wouldn't come to my home after my door was popped open.

About a year and a half ago I had a very hefty Jenn Air grille stolen from my deck between 9:30a and 11a. Neighbors are always home around here and no one saw anything.

Whoever stole the grille also tried to get into the house. They popped the door open and apparently my dog scared them off. Police told me they wouldn't come out for that "sort of thing."

Seeing as we have so many people doing door-to-door sales around here and I have no patience to deal with them, I don't answer the door. I do, however, have a gun within reach 99% if the time.

Catching the crooks isn't the hard part. Convincing all these fools that the crook cannot be easily rehabilitated, if at all, IS the hard part.

A crook kicks your door in while you are at home. He gets a few years. You, on the other hand, live the rest of your life wondering when or if it will happen again. Real fair trade.

My fiancee's car was broken into on Monday night and she hasn't slept since. I've had the same issue in the past with numerous car break-ins and I leave nothing in sight. She leaves nothing in her car. Face comes off the radio, CDs come out, nothing left, but someon still feels the need to break in. All they got was a lighter and a cheap bottle of perfume, which is no doubt broken on the side of the road somewhere now. Now she's losing sleep over $6.50 worth of stuff that was stolen.

I've broken the law and went to jail for it. I don't feel sorry for myself. In fact, quite the opposite. While I was breaking the law, I never once thought about the safety or wellbeing of anyone else. Only a fool thiks that a criminal thinks or cares about you. They do sort of. They think about how much they can get for your stuff that they just stole. I didn't care about you, they don't care about you, you shouldn't care about them.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:14 AM

35,342 posts, read 42,215,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
You think it's bad that they won't respond to a car break-in, they wouldn't come to my home after my door was popped open.

About a year and a half ago I had a very hefty Jenn Air grille stolen from my deck between 9:30a and 11a. Neighbors are always home around here and no one saw anything.

Whoever stole the grille also tried to get into the house. They popped the door open and apparently my dog scared them off. Police told me they wouldn't come out for that "sort of thing."

Seeing as we have so many people doing door-to-door sales around here and I have no patience to deal with them, I don't answer the door. I do, however, have a gun within reach 99% if the time.

Catching the crooks isn't the hard part. Convincing all these fools that the crook cannot be easily rehabilitated, if at all, IS the hard part.

A crook kicks your door in while you are at home. He gets a few years. You, on the other hand, live the rest of your life wondering when or if it will happen again. Real fair trade.

My fiancee's car was broken into on Monday night and she hasn't slept since. I've had the same issue in the past with numerous car break-ins and I leave nothing in sight. She leaves nothing in her car. Face comes off the radio, CDs come out, nothing left, but someon still feels the need to break in. All they got was a lighter and a cheap bottle of perfume, which is no doubt broken on the side of the road somewhere now. Now she's losing sleep over $6.50 worth of stuff that was stolen.

I've broken the law and went to jail for it. I don't feel sorry for myself. In fact, quite the opposite. While I was breaking the law, I never once thought about the safety or wellbeing of anyone else. Only a fool thiks that a criminal thinks or cares about you. They do sort of. They think about how much they can get for your stuff that they just stole. I didn't care about you, they don't care about you, you shouldn't care about them.
Read this whole thread. Spanky, great post.

I know this sounds very harsh, but several people have said this to me, and I think I may agree with them. I have been told "until someone shoots one of these A$$es - this crime spree is going to continue.

My DH and I work at home and we often don't answer the door, b/c we get UPS, FedEx, etc deliveries several times a week, and they guys ring the doorbell and then leave the stuff on the door - and we come down and get it when we have a break. I can, however, stick my head out my window if I had to and talk to the guys below me if someone is on the porch, LOL!! So I have decided, if that bell rings or my dog is barking and someone is at the front, I am just going to yell out at them if I don't see the UPS or FedEx truck sitting there. This is ridiculous. I am also going to keep a firearm.

I swear - if someone tries to break in here, I will shoot them b/c I can't take a chance on being physically assaulted. I cannot physically fight off someone even if they attack me w/o a weapon, so I will have no choice but to shoot them. I am not interested in the trauma of killing someone - I don't know how a person would psychologically cope w/ that - but you know - if it is my safety at stake - I am going to shoot.

I can't figure out why these guys don't assume that some homeowner along the way is going to pull out a shot gun and blast them to kingdom come.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:14 AM

755 posts, read 1,629,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
You think it's bad that they won't respond to a car break-in, they wouldn't come to my home after my door was popped open
How did they know that the culprit wasn't hiding in your house?

When my car was stolen, they wouldn't come out either. In fact, I couldn't use 911 to report it. I had to call the "non-emergency" line which literally rang for over 15 minutes before someone answered it.

I understand that policy has now changed, though.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:47 AM

44,301 posts, read 54,771,183 times
Default From the CMPD South Division...

I think the police are very actively trying to bring a halt to this rash of break-ins. I really like how they communicate this way with the public too:

Yesterday there was a B & E in South Division, Providence Country Club, where the front door was kicked in. The suspects were 2 black males with dreadlocks and they were driving a 2005 Ford Focus North Carolina WWZ-2705, light gray or silver color. Please be on the lookout for this vehicle. We have strong indications that these are the same suspects that were doing this late last year and early this year. As previously stated, they use different rented, borrowed, or stolen vehicles so if you see a suspicious vehicle occupied by multiple black males with dreadlocks, call 911 immediately.

The good news is that we are seeing a decrease in this trend in the South Division. Our division has experienced a 23% reduction in residential burglary when comparing the last four weeks (1/21-2/17) to the previous four weeks (12/24-1/20). We ask that the community assists us in maintaining this trend by remaining vigilant and by implementing the crime prevention tips that are provided by our website cmpd.org.

Captain Rod Golding

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police

South Division
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte