U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-21-2008, 10:51 AM

42,174 posts, read 48,615,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
loves- You're my kind of girl! I think some of the other posters are right though when they state that until someone gets shot, the response from the police department will continue to be mild disinterest.

My fantasy call to the police department would go something like this.
"Hello, this is the Emissary".
"I've just caught two guys breaking into my car".
"They were trying to get my laptop".
"I have a gun on them now".
"Can I shoot them, and are head shots best?"
"What's that?" "My phone is breaking up - the battery is low."
"If you can't get here at (address) in ten minutes, I'll just shoot them - O.K?" Can I leave the bodies next to the garbage cans out front?"
"What's that?" "Don't yell at me, I don't take criticism well"

loves - Do you think that the police department would take more than 10 minutes to show up with the above scenario?
Not a chance, LOL!

Seriously, once a weapon is involved they do seem to rush right over. Maybe you are on to something, I was thinking the weapon needed to be in the hand of the criminal - maybe it just needs to be in the hands of the citizen!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-21-2008, 10:55 AM

33,992 posts, read 37,849,920 times
Default Rolling on floor, truly!

Quote:
loves- You're my kind of girl! I think some of the other posters are right though when they state that until someone gets shot, the response from the police department will continue to be mild disinterest.

My fantasy call to the police department would go something like this.
"Hello, this is the Emissary".
"I've just caught two guys breaking into my car".
"They were trying to get my laptop".
"I have a gun on them now".
"Can I shoot them, and are head shots best?"
"What's that?" "My phone is breaking up - the battery is low."
"If you can't get here at (address) in ten minutes, I'll just shoot them - O.K?" Can I leave the bodies next to the garbage cans out front?"
"What's that?" "Don't yell at me, I don't take criticism well"

loves - Do you think that the police department would take more than 10 minutes to show up with the above scenario?
OMG - Em - this was beyond hilarious! HA HA HA HA.

For me, I would have to add - "I am hormonal and can't promise I can control what happens next."

You made my day! This was truly a gem.

Last edited by anifani821; 02-21-2008 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: left out word

Unread 02-21-2008, 11:04 AM

42,174 posts, read 48,615,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
I wished you lived in my neighborhood! i am always on the lookout. I know people must think I am crazy!
So, let'em think you are nuts - if your looking out saves them from getting broken in to, they'll know how really lucky they are to have you then!

Just wanted to mention, while I am vigilant and do watch what's going on - I refuse to be paronoid or live in fear. Just do the best you can to make sure you aren't making it easy for a criminal to vicimize you and then live your life! This includes, no cell phones left on the car seat, or laptops, or cd's. Lock your car even though you have left nothing valuable in it. Close your garage door right after you drive in. Don't leave your curtains WIDE open when you are not home for someone to peer in and see your big screen tv or computer. Remember last spring when there was a rash of breakins in Myers Park? Once they caught one of the guys he said he only broke in to homes that he KNEW had the stuff he wanted because he could see it in the window!

Unread 02-21-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
So, let'em think you are nuts - if your looking out saves them from getting broken in to, they'll know how really lucky they are to have you then!

Just wanted to mention, while I am vigilant and do watch what's going on - I refuse to be paronoid or live in fear. Just do the best you can to make sure you aren't making it easy for a criminal to vicimize you and then live your life! This includes, no cell phones left on the car seat, or laptops, or cd's. Lock your car even though you have left nothing valuable in it. Close your garage door right after you drive in. Don't leave your curtains WIDE open when you are not home for someone to peer in and see your big screen tv or computer. Remember last spring when there was a rash of breakins in Myers Park? Once they caught one of the guys he said he only broke in to homes that he KNEW had the stuff he wanted because he could see it in the window!
Loves! So glad you posted this b/c it reminded me of something my DH said I should post here. He said - the reason cars are often broken into while sitting in the driveway - is to get the garage door opener - and if not use it then, to come back and use it later to gain entry into your home.

So - do not leave your garage door opener in your car!!!

Unread 02-21-2008, 11:12 AM

2,491 posts, read 3,568,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
OMG - Em - this was beyond hilarious! HA HA HA HA.

For me, I would have to add - "I am hormonal and can't promise I can control what happens next."

You made my day! This was truly a gem.
Thanks ani and loves - In my case tho' it would have to be the "male climateric". This was what my mother used to say about my father when he got in a snit about something. I told her that was getting to be an "old excuse" because it lasted from 30-70 in his case.

Those guys doing the robberies seem to have a fondness for Fords. Maybe after they're caught, Ford could use them in a new advertizing campaign:

Have you stolen a Ford, lately?

Unread 02-21-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks ani and loves - In my case tho' it would have to be the "male climateric". This was what my mother used to say about my father when he got in a snit about something. I told her that was getting to be an "old excuse" because it lasted from 30-70 in his case.

Those guys doing the robberies seem to have a fondness for Fords. Maybe after they're caught, Ford could use them in a new advertizing campaign:

Have you stolen a Ford, lately?
HEE HEE HEE - there you go again!

But seriously - could someone tell me. How are they stealing these cars? Do people leave their carkeys in the cars? Or are they breaking into houses, finding the car keys and then driving off in the homeowner's car?

Or are they hotwiring them? Can you do that to late model cars (cause these new ones have all kinds of computer chips in them, don't they?)

So how do people manage to steal a car, anyway (other than carjacking when someone is actually driving) ??????

Unread 02-21-2008, 11:37 AM

2,491 posts, read 3,568,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
HEE HEE HEE - there you go again!

But seriously - could someone tell me. How are they stealing these cars? Do people leave their carkeys in the cars? Or are they breaking into houses, finding the car keys and then driving off in the homeowner's car?

Or are they hotwiring them? Can you do that to late model cars (cause these new ones have all kinds of computer chips in them, don't they?)

So how do people manage to steal a car, anyway (other than carjacking when someone is actually driving) ??????
ani - I think that the most common method is to bust out the ignition interlock and use a screwdriver to start the car. You're right about people leaving their keys in the car and/or the doors unlocked. That's asking for it!
I do keep my garage door opener in my car, but the car is always in the garage. Keeps the car a lot cleaner as well as keeping it away from prying eyes. I always try to park between more expensive 4-door cars (no dings) when I go out.

If you had a choice between a new Mercedes on one side of me and a new Camry on the other, you'd probably bypass my 7 yr old Focus Wagon. Even the thieves would probably choose a Focus Sedan over my wagon!

Unread 02-21-2008, 12:25 PM

889 posts, read 1,958,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Why would you leave those items in your car in plain view during the day anyways??? Just my 2 cents..You're just asking for trouble..
Stupidity-Not thinking thats for sure!!

Unread 02-21-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
ani - I think that the most common method is to bust out the ignition interlock and use a screwdriver to start the car. You're right about people leaving their keys in the car and/or the doors unlocked. That's asking for it!
I do keep my garage door opener in my car, but the car is always in the garage. Keeps the car a lot cleaner as well as keeping it away from prying eyes. I always try to park between more expensive 4-door cars (no dings) when I go out.

If you had a choice between a new Mercedes on one side of me and a new Camry on the other, you'd probably bypass my 7 yr old Focus Wagon. Even the thieves would probably choose a Focus Sedan over my wagon!
You can use a screwdriver to start a car??????? How dumb I am.

Unread 02-21-2008, 12:40 PM

454 posts, read 1,454,958 times
Reading all these posts about the South Charlotte crimes and the police response time gives me a greater appreciation for when I lived in the Charlotte area most of my years there, I lived in Concord. I did have to call the police several times and THANKFULLY each time I called them, they arrived very quickly, in under a couple of minutes. Even one time when I called the non-emergency number over something that was not urgent 2 officers were at my door in just a minute. Maybe this will help someone who's reading this thread, who's looking for somewhere to move to. (Although I'm not at all saying someone shouldnt' consider Charlotte or that there's something wrong with the CMPD...I had a couple dealings with the CMPD as well when I lived in the University area and thought they were very responsive...) I think the police in certain areas of Charlotte get so many 911 calls that how quickly they respond depends on dumb luck, if you happen to need to call at the "wrong" time when they have a bunch of calls coming in at once, is when the problem comes in.

I will be following the breakins in SoCLT, hopefully it IS just a couple of the same perpatrators and they will be caught. I do agree that until it starts making the news that homeowners are armed and shooting some of these criminals as they break in, not much will change, but maybe if just one time someone does happen to get retaliated on as they break in, that'll be enough incentive for the criminals to think twice next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte