U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 04:25 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,662,366 times

Advertisements

So I know everyone goes back and forth on here about crime. This is just one example of how my husband and I think things are handled poorly. Tonight on the news they talked about how another home was broken into..two men kicked in the door off a development on Providence road. Now this is the 55th house since Nov. that was broken into in the same manner. I was half laughing listening to the cops on the news talking about how their was a little lul b/c they have one suspect in custody but they let him back out b/c they didn't have enough evidence and now there was another break in. Uhmm..well shouldn't that give you a clue? Now this is the 55th break in don't you think by now there would be enough evidence and wouldn't the cops be more on alert and patrolling the south charlotte area more?

This is where I say there is a big difference on how crime is handled here vs. other parts of the county.

Let's discuss..I would imagine most people even natives would agree that this has happened too long and too many people have been affected by it.

At least so far these men have not harmed anyone but would it really make a difference? What would the officers do differently? Will they really get their act together when they start harming adults and children.

I mean why do they just not keep these guys and punish them? I just feel like they are so lackadaisical about it even listening to the cop on the news he didn't seem worried or anxious. He just said yep it is the 55th break-in but we do not have enough proof. They have over a dozen witnesses how do they not have enough proof? give me a break.

I can't find the newest link that was on TV today but here is the old story and basis of most break-in's. Today's happened in Providence Crossing.

Police Concerned About Recent Spike In Home Break-Ins Across Charlotte - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Victim Speaks About Latest Charlotte Home Break-In - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Okay just had to vent and I know people always ask me for examples so just wanted to share my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 04:39 PM

755 posts, read 2,241,935 times
I'm not surprised at all that they were out committing the same crimes. Mecklenburg County DAs and judges are notorious for letting people out on reduced bail, dropping charges, suspending sentences, and pleading down charges.

The mayor actually took a caravan to Raleigh last year to try and get more $$ for more DAs since the legal system is so overwhelmed in Charlotte.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:43 PM

Default Wendy

I guess that is what we are really concerned with. Why is it that way and why haven't the residents fought hard to get it changed? It is like half the people think nothing is wrong and then the other half just don't do anything. Before we get the roads in order I think this should be the top concern for everyone.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:47 PM

124 posts, read 124,878 times
The truth is there is nowhere to house these jerks so we can't exactly blame the DAs. Same thing happens all over the country in larger cities. We need more jails but in the long term we can build jails like crazy but until the communities breeding these criminals set better standards for their kids, criminals will continue to emerge. Parents setting standards and communities expecting more keeps crime in check.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:52 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,752,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
So I know everyone goes back and forth on here about crime. This is just one example of how my husband and I think things are handled poorly. Tonight on the news they talked about how another home was broken into..two men kicked in the door off a development on Providence road. Now this is the 55th house since Nov. that was broken into in the same manner. I was half laughing listening to the cops on the news talking about how their was a little lul b/c they have one suspect in custody but they let him back out b/c they didn't have enough evidence and now there was another break in. Uhmm..well shouldn't that give you a clue? Now this is the 55th break in don't you think by now there would be enough evidence and wouldn't the cops be more on alert and patrolling the south charlotte area more?

This is where I say there is a big difference on how crime is handled here vs. other parts of the county.

Let's discuss..I would imagine most people even natives would agree that this has happened too long and too many people have been affected by it.

At least so far these men have not harmed anyone but would it really make a difference? What would the officers do differently? Will they really get their act together when they start harming adults and children.

I mean why do they just not keep these guys and punish them? I just feel like they are so lackadaisical about it even listening to the cop on the news he didn't seem worried or anxious. He just said yep it is the 55th break-in but we do not have enough proof. They have over a dozen witnesses how do they not have enough proof? give me a break.

I can't find the newest link that was on TV today but here is the old story and basis of most break-in's. Today's happened in Providence Crossing.

Police Concerned About Recent Spike In Home Break-Ins Across Charlotte - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Victim Speaks About Latest Charlotte Home Break-In - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Okay just had to vent and I know people always ask me for examples so just wanted to share my thoughts.
Well you probably have a point in that it's dealt differently in other parts of the country. Although I'd love to see another state/city/county with equal to or greater than the growth of Meck. County and how they are dealing with it admist that growth. It's not interesting to compare an area that has relatively low to no growth at all.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:26 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,669,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19yearsincharlotte View Post
The truth is there is nowhere to house these jerks so we can't exactly blame the DAs. Same thing happens all over the country in larger cities. We need more jails but in the long term we can build jails like crazy but until the communities breeding these criminals set better standards for their kids, criminals will continue to emerge. Parents setting standards and communities expecting more keeps crime in check.
The strange thing is that this area has the jail space, but sorely lacks enough prosecutors. I guess they figure cops are cheaper than lawyers, but that has the unintended effect of having cases dismissed because there is no one to prosecute the cases. Penny-wise and Pound-foolish! Let the revolving door of crime spin! I guess that they expect you to practice do-it-yourself criminal justice - a gun from Walmart and deadmen tell no tales!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:39 PM

157 posts, read 268,579 times
Hello everyone,

Where are these break ins happening? Is it a targeted area or are they all over south charlotte? we are thinking about moving to CLT and are a bit concerned with the crime there. do the homes broken into have alarms, a dead bolt.......i want to make sure my wife is going to be safe.....

and yes i know, crime can happen anywhere......just throwing out my .02.....

Old 02-20-2008, 05:45 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,434,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I guess that they expect you to practice do-it-yourself criminal justice - a gun from Walmart and deadmen tell no tales!
All you have to say is that you feared for your life.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:06 PM

Default crime

for the person that asked I just keep track of the areas I live in..south charlotte. Yes most of the houses are in upscale neighbrohoods with dead bolts and alarms.

My husband is nervous too!

Thanks guys I like hearing the comments. I am just trying to figure what the problem is and if there is an end point or real solution in site..I hate to think that the criminals are smarter then the polcie force here!

Old 02-20-2008, 06:10 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,985,027 times
Anyone else notice that most of the crime issues discussed on this board normally have something to do with an incidient someone "saw on TV" or "read in the newspaper"? Not, "such and such happened to me", or "such and such happened to my neighbor". But I digress. Carry on with the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or