Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 06:50 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
There is no Trader Joe's in Southpark.
I could have sworn I'd been to one there.

Oh well, yeah I usually go to the one on HWY 51 anyway. The uptown TJ's I'll visit when it's relatively late at night, and that deck is easier to enter and exit. It's awful on weekday evenings as employees are trying to leave the upper levels and shoppers are trying to enter it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 08:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
yeah, I don't have a strong opinion on Marshall Park. I never knew it existed.
You cleared yourself not being a part of the OccupyCharlotte movement. That is the park they gathered and camped out at. It also has a history of where most of the protest rallies were held at, which was fitting since government buildings are nearby. Charlotte Pride was located til 2005 when Mayor McCrory and anti-gay protestors balked at the idea of it being located in Public Park then it relocated to Gateway Village.
It was a rinky-dink park but felt bigger than current Bearden Park.

OP, did you visit yet, and could you share pictures with the Charlotte picture thread or the state picture thread.
Even Noda & some of The Plaza is gentrifying. Noda definitely doesn't look like it did 10 years ago which kinda a good thing as it appears less sketchy.
I love the modern uptown but places like Noda need to keep it character like even with new buildings they IMO should resemble the old brick mills or craftsman style homes with dogwood trees etc.
OP I recommend walking 36th and North Davidson Street, and grab a bite to eat at Boudreaux' than coffee or chai tea at Smelly Cats.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:35 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I could have sworn I'd been to one there.

Oh well, yeah I usually go to the one on HWY 51 anyway. The uptown TJ's I'll visit when it's relatively late at night, and that deck is easier to enter and exit. It's awful on weekday evenings as employees are trying to leave the upper levels and shoppers are trying to enter it.
it was probably the Earth Fare Organic Grocery Store

Old 08-30-2016, 09:20 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Not many such areas of Charlotte, except for Plaza/Midwood. Some suburban cities with some of that charm in their downtowns would be Belmont, Shelby, Lincolnton, and Concord.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:06 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,126,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis101 View Post
Brooklyn Village has that same potential.
I don't understand, I thought you were an advocate for stroll blocks with retail in Charlotte. Keeping the park would mean less retail. And it's not like BV won't have a park.
I am an advocate for a stroll block in uptown. But have you seen the amount of open, undeveloped blocks in uptown? There are plenty of places to create a stroll block without ripping up Marshall Park. Marshall Park could easily be revamped into a destination park by adding paddle boats to the pond, maybe adding a carousel, a small ferris wheel and some permanent concession stands. This would be great and the infrastructure is already in place. For those not aware, this exact design was petitioned to the city about 16 years ago. In fact, I was contacted by the developer who sent me a copy of the presentation put forth to the city council. They wanted to create something similar to the old Lakewood Park back in the 1910's. There was a lot of interest in creating a small amusement area within Marshall Park. I guess I am living in a dreamland. I was at the opening of MP and I just hate to see it go. Whether you've been there or not, places like this can be re-imagined and become very successful if given a chance.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:57 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
I am an advocate for a stroll block in uptown. But have you seen the amount of open, undeveloped blocks in uptown? There are plenty of places to create a stroll block without ripping up Marshall Park. Marshall Park could easily be revamped into a destination park by adding paddle boats to the pond, maybe adding a carousel, a small ferris wheel and some permanent concession stands. This would be great and the infrastructure is already in place. For those not aware, this exact design was petitioned to the city about 16 years ago. In fact, I was contacted by the developer who sent me a copy of the presentation put forth to the city council. They wanted to create something similar to the old Lakewood Park back in the 1910's. There was a lot of interest in creating a small amusement area within Marshall Park. I guess I am living in a dreamland. I was at the opening of MP and I just hate to see it go. Whether you've been there or not, places like this can be re-imagined and become very successful if given a chance.
Marshall Park fails mainly because it is surrounded by the "wrong" set of uses (government/institutional) and a bunch of surface parking in a part of Uptown that's not quite as developed.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:05 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Marshall Park fails mainly because it is surrounded by the "wrong" set of uses (government/institutional) and a bunch of surface parking in a part of Uptown that's not quite as developed.
Yeah I think they can make the park more inviting and accessible by reorienting it, even if it means losing some acreage. Right now it seems tucked away and unnecessary. The added housing and retail coming to the area will be a great help.

I don't see any opportunity for increasing traffic with paddle boats as the pond is not very large. If it was connected to some other body of water it could be cool. But it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte