Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 09:12 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,810,396 times

Advertisements

https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/...s.aspx?r=12911

Quote:
Projects for central North Carolina include:

Widening N.C. 24 from N.C. 73 to the Troy Bypass in Montgomery County, completing a four-lane N.C. 24/27 connection between Charlotte and I-73/74.

Widening N.C. 73 from U.S. 29 in Cabarrus County to N.C. 115 in Mecklenburg County and from Northcross Drive in Mecklenburg County to N.C. 16 in Lincoln County, providing improved access within the Lake Norman/Cabarrus County region.

Completing the Shelby Bypass from west of N.C. 150 to U.S. 74 in Cleveland County, which will improve travel between Asheville and Charlotte.
The Shelby Bypass quote was taken from NCDOT's western projects page, but I figured I would add it here since it was discussed a few times in the Charlotte forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 11:14 AM

The draft 2018-2027 STIP was updated to include several new projects, including widening I-85 from US-74 to South Carolina.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14011

Quote:
CHARLOTTE – Transportation officials today announced that eight new transportation projects in Division 12, which includes Alexander, Catawba, Cleveland, Gaston, Iredell and Lincoln counties, are in the updated version of the state’s draft 10-year transportation plan.

New projects in the area include:

•Widening of I-85 from U.S. 74 to the South Carolina line in Gaston and Cleveland counties
•Widening of I-40 from U.S. 321 to Fairgrove Church Road in Catawba County
•Widening of N.C. 150 from N.C. 16 to east of Greenwood Road in Catawba and Lincoln counties
•Constructing an additional 600 feet of runway at the Hickory Regional Airport
•Two projects to acquire land for a runway approach and to remove runway approach obstructions at the Lincoln County Airport

“The addition of these projects will enhance safety and mobility throughout the division”, said Division 12 Engineer Mark Stafford. “We’re excited to be able to deliver these projects to our stakeholders.”

The plan, called the Draft 2018-2027 State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP), includes 144 new projects and hundreds of projects with accelerated construction schedules.

The adjustments reflect updated financial information, including projected revenues, and lower inflation and construction cost overruns.

The plan was initially scheduled to be approved by the Board of Transportation at its June meeting, but approval was delayed to allow the department to update the document to reflect the changes. NCDOT will now hold a public comment period on the updated version of the document. The public comment period will run from June 28 to July 12. Anyone who would like to provide comments should contact Diane Wilson at pdwilson1@ncdot.gov or (919) 707-6073.

The final 2018-2027 STIP is expected to be approved by the Board in August.

More information about the STIP and how transportation projects are funded is available online at ncdot.gov/strategictransportationinvestments/.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:27 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The draft 2018-2027 STIP was updated to include several new projects, including widening I-85 from US-74 to South Carolina.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14011
Well, good for them. They've seen the light. Widening 85 to the state line had been on the docket a few years back. I saw that SC is planning to widen 85 to the state line, through Cherokee County on the Greenville Spartanburg board. I guess NCDOT figured out that they really better bite the bullet or get a major black eye.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:17 PM

601 posts, read 963,520 times
This is good news. Once it's all completed, I-85 will be at least six lanes from just north of Durham to just south of Greenville. Just need the last gap between Northlake SC to Buford GA completed so that Atlanta could be added to the list.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:45 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/...s.aspx?r=12911

The Shelby Bypass quote was taken from NCDOT's western projects page, but I figured I would add it here since it was discussed a few times in the Charlotte forum.
United States Route 74 between the bypass' western terminus in Cleveland County and Ellenboro in Rutherford County has several at-grade intersections that will be converted to grade-separated interchanges. These projects should be a priority.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:13 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
This is good news. Once it's all completed, I-85 will be at least six lanes from just north of Durham to just south of Greenville. Just need the last gap between Northlake SC to Buford GA completed so that Atlanta could be added to the list.
They have been working on I-85 from Durham to the VA line for a couple of years now.

I'm not sure if it was just a repaving (badly needed) or if widening was also part of the project.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:32 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
Is there still a stretch in Cabarrus and/or Rowan that's four lanes? If so, when is that supposed to be done?

Old 07-03-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
They have been working on I-85 from Durham to the VA line for a couple of years now.

I'm not sure if it was just a repaving (badly needed) or if widening was also part of the project.
They're tearing up the old pavement and replacing it (similar to I-40/I-440 Fortify project in Raleigh), as well as upgrading it to modern interstate standards since there were some low bridge clearances (and ramp issues, IIRC). Rather than replace the bridges, NCDOT is lowering the highway to increase clearances. Widening is not part of the project, so I-85 will still be 4 lanes between Durham and Petersburg, since VA has no plans to widen it's part of I-85.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:38 PM

601 posts, read 963,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Is there still a stretch in Cabarrus and/or Rowan that's four lanes? If so, when is that supposed to be done?
It's under construction and should be ready around 2019.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte