U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 09:35 AM

102 posts, read 83,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Threads like these are worthless. They devolve quickly and bring out the worst fear mongerers. Like vultures to a fresh carcass they drop in to share some sort of knee jerk tripe, seemingly celebrating what is misinterpreted of a confirmation that X area is decaying. In this case, it's Northlake Mall. Rarely are reliable statistics or trends shared beyond anecdotal observations and confirmation bias views of "the last time I was there I saw some rude teenagers at X."

In this case, the media was quick to blast out the report regarding "chaos and panic", just like one that occurred in Raleigh at Crabtree a few weeks ago (where there actually weren't any gun shots). People are understandably on edge due to the speed and hype of our minute by minute news sharing media, but more often than not, the story is overblown and only serves to stoke fears and gain clicks. The problem is that after the radio headline/tweet/web headline is out there, everyone and their mother is quick to quote it without reading the story or following up on the truth after the fact. Many times, the headline is inaccurate once the truth is exposed. Often, a headline is written in a more inflammatory way for certain areas of town compared to others. It's the same reporting bias that explains why certain missing people stories get national attention while others aren't ever distributed widely.

A sad reality of living in a major city is that there is enough "bad news" to fill the day if you want to read about it and click on headlines all the time. You could obsess over every criminal act and take it as proof of a decaying city. While the truth is that crime has decreased GREATLY over the last 30 years, you would never know it based on headlines or if you searched for bad news actively all the time to support your opinion that an area is overrun with it.

People that think Northlake is unsafe likely held that opinion before this report. I doubt they are going to stay away from Carowinds after shots were fired there yesterday. The takeaway won't be that Tega Cay/Fort Mill is a dangerous area.

Official: Juvenile shot in bus parking lot outside Carowinds | WSOC-TV

And they may not be scared of Carmel/Colony Road area even though a murder occurred there 2 weeks ago.

2nd man arrested after NC woman shot and killed in car | WNCN

No - the locations of stories like those are somewhat glossed over and aren't indicative of decay - only when a story breaks in an area they have condemned as "spiraling downward" will the chicken littles drop in to share their fake lamentations on a tragic crime story. They'll start threads about them and get the ball rolling and the other hurrdeedurhs will keep the rolling for them.

I'm not saying that someone shooting a gun outside a mall is a place I want to be and I think the stories above are tragic and awful. The way many posters start threads and highlight news stories as proof of the demise of an area while totally ignoring or discounting other news stories is what I see as hypocritical and unhelpful. When you fit selected facts to fit a preconceived notion, it's proof of bias. Not only does it expose ignorance, it's also a disservice for those that may not know any better.
I wanted to find a good line or paragraph to quote in this response, but he essentially read my mind. If I can recall, someone was robbed at knifepoint outside Southpark Mall within the past year. I have been harassed right in the middle of Uptown by panhandlers. Hell, remember the gang related killing in Lake Norman? I feel no less safe at Northlake than any other mall. In fact I'd probably feel safer there than other area malls. Imagine if you were a terrorist, or wished to create as many casualties as possible? Northlake wouldn't be my first target. I'm more concerned about someone going for body count than someone trying to settle a personal beef, not to suggest I condone either one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 09:41 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,752,356 times
Bring out the pop corn.

It is hard to say which is more amusing...someone waking up to the fact that Northlake attracts the criminal element, or those that say it does not. Yee Haw!

I know what I experienced there but won't bore you with my observations.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:54 PM
NDL

3,189 posts, read 3,651,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
A couple of areas surrounding Northlake are the problem. The partial problem is that malls are generally teen hang outs and problems can start because of that. There is a party place for kids not far from Northlake and we've been there multiple times and never had issues.

I've had two different neighbors at the mall when the shootings have happened. One was with her daughter yesterday and the other was with his two daughters on Christmas Eve. It wasn't a pleasant experience for any of them.
Quote:
Threads like these are worthless. They devolve quickly and bring out the worst fear mongerers. Like vultures to a fresh carcass they drop in to share some sort of knee jerk tripe, seemingly celebrating what is misinterpreted of a confirmation that X area is decaying. In this case, it's Northlake Mall. Rarely are reliable statistics or trends shared beyond anecdotal observations and confirmation bias views of "the last time I was there I saw some rude teenagers at X."
I am not too familiar with Northlake...Thanks for giving me a true sense of what's going on.

So essentially, Northlake itself is a good area that's affected by influences outside of itself. In other words, it's much like any other nice area in Charlotte; is as vulnerable to criminal activity in the same way any other shopping district is.

Therefore, I am to believe that Northlake is exploited by media outlets for the purpose of attracting viewers.

Here's what's surprising to me:

The City spends a lot of money on frivolity. You'd think that the City would do a better job of communicating the crime preventative measures it takes, to assuage citizens concerns about public safety.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:14 PM
NDL

There is one thing I'd like to add, if I may :

As my old marketing professor used to say: "Different strokes, for different folks"

I get that.

But as much as I see successes in CLT, I see the need for improvement in a few areas. CLT's suburbs, like Fort Mill, have attracted homeowners on the (perceived) basis of having better schools, and lower levels of crime.

If you desire the lake life, or the country life, I get that. Lower taxes in Union County? Understood.

Outside of that, much of CLT's suburbs have similar density to areas within the City. There's no logical reason why the City should lose residents to Fort Mill, Huntersville, etc. That it has, shows the City's need for improvement in the services it provides, or in the way that it projects itself. A good PR campaign could do wonders for Charlotte.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:25 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,395,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
There is one thing I'd like to add, if I may :

As my old marketing professor used to say: "Different strokes, for different folks"

I get that.

But as much as I see successes in CLT, I see the need for improvement in a few areas. CLT's suburbs, like Fort Mill, have attracted homeowners on the (perceived) basis of having better schools, and lower levels of crime.

If you desire the lake life, or the country life, I get that. Lower taxes in Union County? Understood.

Outside of that, much of CLT's suburbs have similar density to areas within the City. There's no logical reason why the City should lose residents to Fort Mill, Huntersville, etc. That it has, shows the City's need for improvement in the services it provides, or in the way that it projects itself. A good PR campaign could do wonders for Charlotte.

Remember that perceptions are not contained and built in a vacuum either. People move with preconceived notions of what is true/where to move in Charlotte us knowledge based on conclusions they bring from other areas. Sometimes they are right, but often, they are wrong. Anyone moving to Charlotte who thinks they have to live in the suburbs to find safety, affordability and good schools is mistaken. The fact that all 3 can be found in abundance in Charlotte well within 485 is a great selling point. Sure, there are great suburban communities as well and I love the fact that we have many different types of living scenarios within a 45 minute commute (I would have said 20 minutes 10 years ago) to uptown.

I'm all for boosterism though and agree we need to do a better job pushing our city. It's a tough thing to do with so many new arrivals. A blessing and a curse as the growth is awesome but most of the new arrivals have more allegiance to wherever they grew up and are more likely to talk about what was better back home than sell the merits of their new home. It's a grass is greener phenomenon. I think a good deal of the misinformation is brought in from other places, not home grown through poor performance or real life experiences.

Charlotte's got a lot.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:22 PM
NDL

Quote:
Remember that perceptions are not contained and built in a vacuum either. People move with preconceived notions of what is true/where to move in Charlotte us knowledge based on conclusions they bring from other areas. Sometimes they are right, but often, they are wrong. Anyone moving to Charlotte who thinks they have to live in the suburbs to find safety, affordability and good schools is mistaken. The fact that all 3 can be found in abundance in Charlotte well within 485 is a great selling point. Sure, there are great suburban communities as well and I love the fact that we have many different types of living scenarios within a 45 minute commute (I would have said 20 minutes 10 years ago) to uptown.

I'm all for boosterism though and agree we need to do a better job pushing our city. It's a tough thing to do with so many new arrivals. A blessing and a curse as the growth is awesome but most of the new arrivals have more allegiance to wherever they grew up and are more likely to talk about what was better back home than sell the merits of their new home. It's a grass is greener phenomenon. I think a good deal of the misinformation is brought in from other places, not home grown through poor performance or real life experiences.

Charlotte's got a lot.
I appreciate you sharing your thoughts

Preconceived notions can indeed be a tough thing to counter. It was actually a link you once posted, to a paper that definitively shows the devastating impacts that fear has upon an area, that brought my attention to the matter (hence my interest in this topic).

I don't hate Fort Mill, far from it, but I have family that live in Fort Mill, thus I have developed pretty strong opinions about the town.

York County taxes are cheaper, but CLT's electric is cheaper; water is cheaper (and better IMHO); CLT's parks are better; CLT's libraries are better, and, if you work in CLT, the commute to work might be better. Yet people are moving to Fort Mill en masse, largely for the reasons we discussed.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:23 PM

48 posts, read 59,307 times
Default Update: North Lake Mall has had active survival seminars

Update:

The erosion is real.

"I would say I am surprised. We have had two active survival seminars with the employees of Northlake mall. Before this incident happened we had a third seminar set up," said Butler.

CMPD attempts to ease concern over recent Northlake Mall violenc - | WBTV Charlotte

Old 09-09-2016, 01:57 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,395,957 times
That's your takeaway from the article? How about you share more thoughts than a drive by cowardly trolling post?

The quote you shared was from an officer that was surprised by concern from a mall employee about preparedness.

Last edited by Essequamvideri; 09-09-2016 at 02:19 PM..

Old 09-09-2016, 06:19 PM

150 posts, read 95,566 times
All parents of little kids, like me, love the Looney Tunes indoor play area by Build A Bear. We show up at 9:45am as soon as they let us in. Play. Hit food court. Walk a bit. In the car by noonish.

The secret: hoody, thuggy loiterers are not early risers. They have the night, we have the weekday mornings.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:23 PM
NDL

Quote:
That's your takeaway from the article? How about you share more thoughts than a drive by cowardly trolling post?

The quote you shared was from an officer that was surprised by concern from a mall employee about preparedness.
In fairness, there's a reason why they planned on having a *third* active shooter drill, in a short period of time.

That said, the article reflects the kind of information that will inspire confidence from the public:

"The safety of our guests, tenants and employees is our top priority. We work closely with our partners in local, state and federal law enforcement to monitor events in the surrounding neighborhood,"

"...The statement concluded, "While our security plans are not publicized, teams are onsite 24/7. We have implemented additional measures, some of which are visible and others that are behind the scenes."
As for CMPD they believe their patrol of that area is already solid.

"We have a foot patrol officer assigned to the mall. We have duel sports, that are basically dirt bikes on a full time basis in the north division," said Butler."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or