U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 06:34 PM

48 posts, read 59,276 times

Advertisements

FYI:
Police: No injuries after shots fired outside Northlake Mall

Monday, September 5th 2016, 3:40 pm EDT
Police: No injuries after shots fired outside Northlake Mall - | WBTV Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 06:41 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,930,687 times
Unfortunately this is true. With all the shady-goings-on that are starting occur there, it will be a matter of time before tenants at the mall will "close shop", therefore deflecting shoppers to go elsewhere. Nobody wants to shop in that type of environment. Sad state of affairs at Northlake.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:54 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,394,594 times
Hahaahahababa. What a joke of a thread. Lock this up.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:04 PM

520 posts, read 302,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Hahaahahababa. What a joke of a thread. Lock this up.
Don't get it...where is the joke??

Old 09-05-2016, 07:29 PM
NDL

3,188 posts, read 3,648,038 times
This should be interesting...

In the meantime, it must be acknowledged that violent random acts have real impacts on the well being of a community. In other words, even to the person who believes that this was a random and infrequent act at best - it must be acknowledged that there are economic consequences as a result of the public's perception of Northlake.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:09 PM

Threads like these are worthless. They devolve quickly and bring out the worst fear mongerers. Like vultures to a fresh carcass they drop in to share some sort of knee jerk tripe, seemingly celebrating what is misinterpreted of a confirmation that X area is decaying. In this case, it's Northlake Mall. Rarely are reliable statistics or trends shared beyond anecdotal observations and confirmation bias views of "the last time I was there I saw some rude teenagers at X."

In this case, the media was quick to blast out the report regarding "chaos and panic", just like one that occurred in Raleigh at Crabtree a few weeks ago (where there actually weren't any gun shots). People are understandably on edge due to the speed and hype of our minute by minute news sharing media, but more often than not, the story is overblown and only serves to stoke fears and gain clicks. The problem is that after the radio headline/tweet/web headline is out there, everyone and their mother is quick to quote it without reading the story or following up on the truth after the fact. Many times, the headline is inaccurate once the truth is exposed. Often, a headline is written in a more inflammatory way for certain areas of town compared to others. It's the same reporting bias that explains why certain missing people stories get national attention while others aren't ever distributed widely.

A sad reality of living in a major city is that there is enough "bad news" to fill the day if you want to read about it and click on headlines all the time. You could obsess over every criminal act and take it as proof of a decaying city. While the truth is that crime has decreased GREATLY over the last 30 years, you would never know it based on headlines or if you searched for bad news actively all the time to support your opinion that an area is overrun with it.

People that think Northlake is unsafe likely held that opinion before this report. I doubt they are going to stay away from Carowinds after shots were fired there yesterday. The takeaway won't be that Tega Cay/Fort Mill is a dangerous area.

Official: Juvenile shot in bus parking lot outside Carowinds | WSOC-TV

And they may not be scared of Carmel/Colony Road area even though a murder occurred there 2 weeks ago.

2nd man arrested after NC woman shot and killed in car | WNCN

No - the locations of stories like those are somewhat glossed over and aren't indicative of decay - only when a story breaks in an area they have condemned as "spiraling downward" will the chicken littles drop in to share their fake lamentations on a tragic crime story. They'll start threads about them and get the ball rolling and the other hurrdeedurhs will keep the rolling for them.

I'm not saying that someone shooting a gun outside a mall is a place I want to be and I think the stories above are tragic and awful. The way many posters start threads and highlight news stories as proof of the demise of an area while totally ignoring or discounting other news stories is what I see as hypocritical and unhelpful. When you fit selected facts to fit a preconceived notion, it's proof of bias. Not only does it expose ignorance, it's also a disservice for those that may not know any better.

Last edited by Essequamvideri; 09-05-2016 at 08:39 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 08:09 PM
NDL

3,188 posts, read 3,648,038 times
Did some looking around online, and came up with complaints, and little else.

The area immediately surrounding the mall looks nice, and the apartments are middle of the market - at a minimum.

What plagues this area? If there are a few bad areas between Northlake and Uptown, why is this negative activity seemingly confined to Northlake?

Yes, it's a mall/shopping district, but there are other venues where bad activity can take place and it does not - which makes me believe that some of the Northlake drama is overhyped.

The Sunset Road area, to the best of my knowledge, is not a very dense/highly populated area. I have a hard time believing that a small geographical area can cause so many problems.

On the other hand, with all of the money that the City spends, I can't believe that it doesn't budget more money, or make a more concerted effort, to inform the public of crime fighting initiatives that are currently utilized.

Esq., did indeed open my eyes to the economic devastation that occurs when public perception is slanted.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:42 AM

3,416 posts, read 3,223,667 times
A couple of areas surrounding Northlake are the problem. The partial problem is that malls are generally teen hang outs and problems can start because of that. There is a party place for kids not far from Northlake and we've been there multiple times and never had issues.

I've had two different neighbors at the mall when the shootings have happened. One was with her daughter yesterday and the other was with his two daughters on Christmas Eve. It wasn't a pleasant experience for any of them.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:23 AM

6 posts, read 6,163 times
No injuries, whats the big deal? \_(ツ)_/

Old 09-06-2016, 09:25 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or