U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 09:41 PM
NDL

3,126 posts, read 3,610,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desta_Faith View Post
Thanks for the responses thus far! I ask because I'm planning to relocate to Charlotte in January, 2017. I've heavily researched the city and it has EVERYTHING that I wanted in a location to start all over in. I visited briefly in May and I fell in love even more. Like, I seriously saw myself living there! But admittedly, I still keep hearing an overwhelming amount of sour opinions about Charlotte from others. So I think, "Am I missing something?!"
There's a part of me that will always love the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn. I love the architecture and character of the buildings; density that's far from suburban, but not overly congested; the fact that I could choose from a diversity of cuisines, and eat like a king for next to nothing; a terrific park that is right on the water. I get homesick from time to time...

Charlotte's none of the above things. But it has virtues of it's own to appreciate . And here's the thing that I learned about this area: no nasty surprises.

I remember the first time I came upon a water fountain for dogs. Think it was in the Myers Park area. What a thoughtful gesture!

In New York, throwing out certain items became a chore. You had to hold onto the items for sometimes a month or more, and drive quite a long distance to dispose of it. Here? Bring your item (e.g. paint, old TV, etc.) to a recycling center. Any day of the week. And they cheerfully accept it.

I could go on and on, but you get my point .

You won't find the Guggenheim in Uptown CLT. Likewise: I used to eat a buttered roll for breakfast, now I eat biscuits . I used to eat a lot more Italian; now I eat BBQ from time to time (and it's good!). When you move here, you have to adjust your expectations accordingly. If you do that, you'll find that Charlotte's a nice place to live, with a lot of nice folks.

No nasty "hidden" surprises here. If you like what you've seen while visiting, it's likely that you'll only like it more once its your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 09:58 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,134,161 times
Born here and been here for over half a century.

I love Charlotte. My family and friends are here. My memories are here. I love the trees, the old neighborhoods, the weather (except for this summer which was incredibly hot) and most of the people. I sometimes miss the old days with less traffic but times change and one must adapt.

Don't move here expecting Charlotte to make you happy. You make yourself happy. If you move here with a positive attitude you will likely love it here.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:13 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,367,013 times
I moved here in 2005 and haven't regretted the move at all. I now have a family and live in the suburbs (Concord) and we love living in a city that is large enough to have the amenities we want (pro sports, shopping, Carowinds), but not so overrun and dirty as many other cities the same size. The parks and lakes, from Freedom Park to Lake Norman, are next to none, and a weekend stroll through downtown is perfect sometimes.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:12 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,737,948 times
I don't need much to be happy - any good sized city that offers culture, good restaurants, a nice people is all I need. Charlotte is just fine by be, though not the perfect city. It's a bit too hot, and a bit too suburban for my tastes. City parks are actually lacking here. The mountains and beach are not far, but neither are they adjacent. The perfect city would be too expensive to live in (SF, Seattle, etc). It's a good compromise here and I like it.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:30 PM
NDL

3,126 posts, read 3,610,899 times
Quote:
NDL, I DO know what you mean. I'm a Jersey Girl and I KNOW that I will miss the food and all of the exciting diversity and different cultures of the Northeast badly.
I don't want to seem rude or brash, but it depends what part of Jersey. If you're comfortable in Monmouth County, then south Charlotte will feel perfectly at home (though there aren't any diners here ). If you like the Shore, then your best bet would be to live close to the lake.

As to diversity, NY/NJ/PA has a lot of European influence, which you won't find here (though this area has a surprising number of Greeks). But Charlotte has a lot of ethnic diversity...even has a few Indian supermarkets, and a HUGE Chinese market. And Uptown CLT has the Harvey Gantt Center.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:23 PM

28 posts, read 22,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I don't want to seem rude or brash, but it depends what part of Jersey. If you're comfortable in Monmouth County, then south Charlotte will feel perfectly at home (though there aren't any diners here ). If you like the Shore, then your best bet would be to live close to the lake.

As to diversity, NY/NJ/PA has a lot of European influence, which you won't find here (though this area has a surprising number of Greeks). But Charlotte has a lot of ethnic diversity...even has a few Indian supermarkets, and a HUGE Chinese market. And Uptown CLT has the Harvey Gantt Center.
I'm from South Jersey--Burlington County. Approximately 20 minutes across the bridge from Philadelphia. The "diversity" I'm used to are the various Caribbean and Latino cultures. From my understanding, Charlotte is just "black and white" with very weak black influence. (I'm black, by the way.) Up North you can easily find something for everyone because of the diversity of cultures and entertainment, but I was told that around Charlotte it's not that simple?

Old 09-08-2016, 04:38 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,383,447 times
Quote:
I'm from South Jersey--Burlington County. Approximately 20 minutes across the bridge from Philadelphia. The "diversity" I'm used to are the various Caribbean and Latino cultures. From my understanding, Charlotte is just "black and white" with very weak black influence. (I'm black, by the way.) Up North you can easily find something for everyone because of the diversity of cultures and entertainment, but I was told that around Charlotte it's not that simple?

This isn't true. What did you experience or hear to build this understanding?

Charlotte is very diverse. You can find people from all over the world that call Charlotte home. We also have a strong black community with a history of civic pride/contribution for many many years.

I recommend you do more research and let us know what you learn.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:28 PM

28 posts, read 22,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
This isn't true. What did you experience or hear to build this understanding?

Charlotte is very diverse. You can find people from all over the world that call Charlotte home. We also have a strong black community with a history of civic pride/contribution for many many years.

I recommend you do more research and let us know what you learn.
Lol, believe it or not I did do a lot of research on Charlotte! I have heard from many black individuals that Charlotte has a weak black influence, a lack of "young black professionals" and is often described as "boring" for them entertainment-wise. And I don't doubt that Charlotte has an ethnic presence, I just assumed that it isn't as strong as in the Northeast where I am from. Again, I did enjoy Charlotte when I was there very briefly. It looked "diverse" enough to me in terms of black and white...but then again, I didn't have the time to explore other areas where other ethnicities might have been present.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:36 PM

515 posts, read 905,921 times
I moved down about 7 yrs ago from NE. The appeal was lower cost of living and weather. It has changed a lot since then. The cost of living is still lower than NE, but much higher than it was and increasing fast, congestion and traffic are much worse, the weather turned out to be OK, but I'd trade some more winter for cooler drier summers. High 90s and dew points in the 70s is pretty uncomfortable for outdoor activities....Overall it's OK, but nothing magical. If I was to do it over I'd probably look at Greenville SC, chattanooga TN or mid country somewhere...some place that isn't growing...

Old 09-09-2016, 08:11 AM

11,717 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
this is false. The only thing I agree with is a weak carribean culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or