Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 12:04 PM

28 posts, read 31,874 times

Advertisements

I know that there are opinions all over, but I would like to hear *updated* opinions.

Please tell me why. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 05:33 PM

16 posts, read 22,799 times
Been here for 14 years moved from NYC, love charlotte it has almost every thing you could want near five different lakes for fishing and boating. baseball football nascar and even curling lol. all the shopping you ladies could want plays, art and fine dinning. parks and rec areas all over the city. people for the most part are all good, you have jerks in ever race every where so you cant hold that against charlotte. to me its a mini ny with a tenth of the problems but a whole lot better. the best part is you can park your car near your house not two or three blocks away lol. you even get a day off when it snows 2" high. it could be 2 feet in new York you better be in school and work that's not a day off. what's not to like about charlotte that's the question.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:56 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,428,594 times
I don't live in the city of Charlotte, but have lived in the Charlotte metro area my whole life. We (my family and I) love it here. It's home! The people are awesome. Great economy. Great cost of living. Great weather/climate. Charlotte's one of the cleanest/greenest large cities in the nation. Incredible airport. Lots to do, we're never bored. Convenient east coast location. Close to the mountains and beaches. We travel a lot and see a lot of wonderful places. Though there are other areas where we could live and be happy, we plan on staying here for good. We don't have the "grass is greener" syndrome, lol.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:51 PM
NDL

4,502 posts, read 5,581,332 times
I dunno if I "enjoy" living in CLT, but I don't dislike it - for sure.

There's a part of me that's an "old school" New Yorker, that misses Italian bakeries, delicatessens, close and immediate access to the ocean, etc.

I like the way government works here, in that it assesses a need, and seeks to fill it in an efficient way. I like that there's an attitude that reevaluates itself, for the purpose of improvement. And while I have criticized the lack of travel lanes on Charlotte roads, there is a great deal of planning that goes into this area, and I appreciate that.

I love the parks, greenways, and trails here. In New York I had a high tax burden, with (sometimes) substandard facilities. Not here.

I like the plants and foliage that are indigenous to this area. Always beautiful to look at...

I like the diversity of shopping here. There are a few things that are curiously missing, but shopping options are generally plentiful.

I like that the cost of living is reasonable, and I appreciate the City's commitment into building the light rail, and the high density that accompanies it.

I've met some nice people here, with similar values.

And, it's clean here. There are parts of the mid-Atlantic region, that are - in some ways - grappling with the fruit of their industrial past. Not here; the water and air are clean.

I am not in love with this area, because it is somewhat generic. In remaking CLT, they shucked some of the unique attributes that made CLT, CLT. I've seen old pictures of CLT, and wonder what it would've been like with old establishments/businesses that are no longer in existence.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the responses thus far! I ask because I'm planning to relocate to Charlotte in January, 2017. I've heavily researched the city and it has EVERYTHING that I wanted in a location to start all over in. I visited briefly in May and I fell in love even more. Like, I seriously saw myself living there! But admittedly, I still keep hearing an overwhelming amount of sour opinions about Charlotte from others. So I think, "Am I missing something?!"

Old 09-06-2016, 07:54 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,428,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desta_Faith View Post
Thanks for the responses thus far! I ask because I'm planning to relocate to Charlotte in January, 2017. I've heavily researched the city and it has EVERYTHING that I wanted in a location to start all over in. I visited briefly in May and I fell in love even more. Like, I seriously saw myself living there! But admittedly, I still keep hearing an overwhelming amount of sour opinions about Charlotte from others. So I think, "Am I missing something?!"
No, I don't think you're necessarily missing something. It's just something that we all have to keep in mind: No place is perfect and we have to have reasonable expectations of anyplace. Like I said in my post; I plan on never leaving the Charlotte area. BUT......I hate the red clay dirt that's here.....I don't like how Charlotte has bulldozed much of its architectural history.....I would like to see a zoo and/or aquarium in such a large metro......etc.....but, Charlotte's STILL an awesome place. No matter where you go anywhere on Earth, there will be positive and negatives; including Charlotte. But I think Charlotte has more positives than negatives compared to most areas, IMO.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:04 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,045,168 times
March2 is right. I'm going to stop reading while we're ahead of the eeyores! Charlotte's got a lot.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:11 PM

NDL, I DO know what you mean. I'm a Jersey Girl and I KNOW that I will miss the food and all of the exciting diversity and different cultures of the Northeast badly.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
No, I don't think you're necessarily missing something. It's just something that we all have to keep in mind: No place is perfect and we have to have reasonable expectations of anyplace. Like I said in my post; I plan on never leaving the Charlotte area. BUT......I hate the red clay dirt that's here.....I don't like how Charlotte has bulldozed much of its architectural history.....I would like to see a zoo and/or aquarium in such a large metro......etc.....but, Charlotte's STILL an awesome place. No matter where you go anywhere on Earth, there will be positive and negatives; including Charlotte. But I think Charlotte has more positives than negatives compared to most areas, IMO.
You are absolutely right. No place truly is perfect. Just about every city that I looked into, I found people complaining. It's about finding the "perfect" in that city for YOU and making the absolute best of it.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:22 PM

16 posts, read 22,799 times
Desta_faith
Hi again have you through about where your living down here yet. there is much to see and do here you won't miss jersey at all for what your paying for rent or mortgage up there gives you so much more here your home can be anywhere you want from lake views to mountain views. if you buy new you have subdivision with pools tennis parks and club houses. or older areas with tree lined streets and back yards that let you lay in the shade under your on oak trees. You have high rises looking over the city or town houses where you can walk to plays basketball games foot ball games and base ball all with in walking distance. If you haven't guessed yet I'm a real estate agent and that was one of the reasons I moved here. every part of the city has difference things to offer yet its no more then 20 min to any thing. So no matter where you are your close to everything. even the weather works in your favor tee shirts in Oct light coats in Dec don't put the heavy coats away you will need them in Jan. and no alternate side of the street parking if you need any help get up with me as far as perfect this is as close as you can get to it.

-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte