Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 12:16 PM

9 posts, read 7,614 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone
Here comes yet another family relocating to NC, I am sure the locals will be thrilled. LOL.

I understand it's hard for people that have lived all their lives in a small town to accept this massive wave of newcomers, especially when they want to import their own mentality and lifestyle.

I did experience the exact same feelings in Tuscany Italy, where I was born and raised.

(English not my primary language so please excuse some mistakes )
My husband is from California, where we currently reside with our two boys.

North Cal is great for so many reasons, however, we are not incredibly happy here.

My husband works remotely so we have the choice to relocate where we want (awesome).

I choose North Carolina and narrowed it down to Davidson/Cornelius. Beside the housing cost being lower , which is great, I needed to find a place to call home for more important reasons than money or weather.

Mostly I want my kids to feel safe, free of expressing themselves and surrounded by nice and happy people.

Second, I'll be halfway to Italy where family is !!!!

I love when I read in these threads about NC "slower pace" ... "take your time..."
Children need that, and being from Italy ... well I need that too

Tuscany has cold winters, hot humid summers, tons of mosquitos, people go much slower during the summer and we even close stores during the hot times of the day! We are almost all raised around churches activities, we have a strong sense of hospitality , love LOVE eating and we like to know our neighbors very well (...sometimes we are just nosy let's admit it). SO..all these to say...when I read about North Carolina I think "that's like being home!!!"

Correct me if I am wrong...

Down to my questions then. It is hard to generalize, everyone obviously think differently and have had different experiences.. but I was wondering in general, how NC people feel about Italians?? And I would like to add NOT American- Italians... very very different than actually born and raised in Italy... believe me.

If there is no Italians in Davidson maybe you can tell me the general feeling about European transplants?

We are a very friendly family, love to joke a lot ... another of my questions, is it considered ok to take confidence and joke a lot?? (In a respectful way of course).

I read a lot of concerns in this forum about religion , my kids are both baptized but we don't go to church right now. However we respect all religions and don't mind being invited to church or being informed ... I know that all of it comes from a good place in people's hearts.

There is no way to know if we will be a great fit or not, and I know I am very random in my questions LOL, I guess I am just trying to get a feeling before we visit (a few times) and then buy a house.

Well, hope to get some good insights (beside showing me the fastest way back to Italy) ehehh.

Thanks!!!!!
C.

Last edited by Cecia75; 09-18-2016 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 03:03 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Davidson is a nice place. Don't know why you would have any problems.

If I were there I would practice my Italian with you 😉

Good luck

Old 09-18-2016, 03:06 PM

Thanks!!!!

Old 09-18-2016, 03:38 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecia75 View Post
Hello everyone
Here comes yet another family relocating to NC, I am sure the locals will be thrilled. LOL.

I understand it's hard for people that have lived all their lives in a small town to accept this massive wave of newcomers, especially when they want to import their own mentality and lifestyle.

I did experience the exact same feelings in Tuscany Italy, where I was born and raised.

North Cal is great for so many reasons, however, we are not incredibly happy here.

My husband works remotely so we have the choice to relocate where we want (awesome).

I choose North Carolina and narrowed it down to Davidson/Cornelius. Beside the housing cost being lower , which is great, I needed to find a place to call home for more important reasons than money or weather.

Mostly I want my kids to feel safe, free of expressing themselves and surrounded by nice and happy people.

I love when I read in these threads about NC "slower pace" ... "take your time..."

Tuscany has cold winters, hot humid summers, tons of mosquitos, people go much slower during the summer and we even close stores during the hot times of the day! We are almost all raised around churches activities, we have a strong sense of hospitality , love LOVE eating and we like to know our neighbors very well (...sometimes we are just nosy let's admit it). SO..all these to say...when I read about North Carolina I think "that's like being home!!!"

Down to my questions then. It is hard to generalize, everyone obviously think differently and have had different experiences.. but I was wondering in general, how NC people feel about Italians?? And I would like to add NOT American- Italians... very very different than actually born and raised in Italy... believe me.

If there is no Italians in Davidson maybe you can tell me the general feeling about European transplants?

We are a very friendly family, love to joke a lot ... another of my questions, is it considered ok to take confidence and joke a lot?? (In a respectful way of course).

I read a lot of concerns in this forum about religion , my kids are both baptized but we don't go to church right now. However we respect all religions and don't mind being invited to church or being informed ... I know that all of it comes from a good place in people's hearts.

There is no way to know if we will be a great fit or not, and I know I am very random in my questions LOL, I guess I am just trying to get a feeling before we visit (a few times) and then buy a house.

Well, hope to get some good insights (beside showing me the fastest way back to Italy) ehehh.

Thanks!!!!!
C.
The airport is on the west side of Charlotte.

The Diocese of Charlotte has a website that will tell you where Catholic churches & schools are located.

Will your husband be working from home or in Mooresville? You'll want to take commuting time into consideration.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the reply I hope to use the airport to fly in and not out my husband will work from home so no commuting. Kids will attend public schools which seem to be excellent, I guess you assumed Italy = Pope = all catholic, I appreciate the info anyway

Old 09-18-2016, 04:09 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply I hope to use the airport to fly in and not out my husband will work from home so no commuting. Kids will attend public schools which seem to be excellent, I guess you assumed Italy = Pope = all catholic, I appreciate the info anyway

You're welcome.

You indicated that you are not practicing Catholics. I mentioned the diocesan website in case you need it, like if family comes to visit. I'm sorry if I offended you.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:18 PM

Not offended in any way!! I was just joking, in fact you are right, maybe Italian friends and family will visit and I do appreciate the info!! I guess this little misunderstanding answered my question about joking all the time... LOL

Old 09-18-2016, 04:51 PM

129 posts, read 234,125 times
Cecia75 welcome!!! I'm from Ireland originally and I live in the Ballantyne area. I have a lot of friends here from Ireland, England and other European countries living here!!

Old 09-18-2016, 05:14 PM

Erinlou hi! Fantastic news !!!! I love Ireland and the U.K. !! You guys have the best sense of humor and the whiskey I must say.... I am very glad to hear there are European over there, I hope to make tons of friends within the locals of course, but some lasses and lads around are always a joy

Old 09-18-2016, 09:32 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Hello everyone

Thanks!!!!!
C.
Piacere Cecia! Mi chiamo Michele...

(That's all I will attempt to write; my Italian is not good, but I can get by verbally)

I am of Italian decent on both my Mother's, and Father's, side. In my life I have had first generation friends from Italy (and their immigrant Parents), so I am well familiar with Italian customs and traditions.

You will not be able to eat in Charlotte. I don't care what anyone tells you; fine dining exists in Charlotte, but getting certain ingredients used in recipes - no. No pasticeria's, no salumeria's...tutti non ce.

Now to the good: a move here would be a lateral transition for you, because of the values of the Southern folks who live here.

Southern folks keep to their own, so it might not be very easy building friendships (that you have children might make building relationships easier). Southerners value family, tradition, manners, and respect. They are a good people, and make for good neighbors. People look out for one another here.

Moreover, the pace is slower, but not in a way that's irritating. In this, Southerners are very much like Italians.

Southerners don't run hot...there are cultural differences (obviously ). For this reason, a lot of transplants are thought to be rude (and many are).

Davidson is itself a very quaint town; a place in which you'd have to work at being bored.

There are times that I get homesick, but my Wife & I have been here for over four years, and not once have we regretted our move.

Southerners are good folks, with good values, so living among them is easy *if* you go with the flow .

Those who complain about life here, often manufacture complaints. My example is simplistic, but illustrative: you wouldn't expect to find Manhattan clam chowder in Boston, nor would you expect to find New England clam chowder in Manhattan. This reality is acceptable in the Northeast, but it's somehow unacceptable when folks move to CLT

Again, mine is a simple example, but it illustrates the nature of the complaints i've heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte