U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 10:31 AM

19 posts, read 68,239 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to relocate from NY to NC. We haven't ruled out any other southern state, so I am overwhelmed searching for information. I will have a son in HS, and another in community college. I was hoping to find a nice rental complex in a good school district, yet not too far from business/work opportunities. So far Charlotte seems to be the best option for my family. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,130 times
My wife & I relocated from New York to Georgia last year. The weather is great, but IMHO, Georgia (and other similar Bible Belt states...) is a little bit "too south" if you're from the Northeast. Because we love the weather so much, we decided to find another area and have been focusing on NC/Charlotte. We just returned from there this weekend, and I have nothing but good things to say. We've decided to move there after the holidays, and I can say it wasn't a tough decision. FYI - There are plenty of excellent rental options within a 15 minute drive of downtown.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:12 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,120,374 times
Glad you enjoyed Charlotte Messerskandh

Old 11-28-2006, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,130 times
Thanks. Southbound Soon - From an outsider/NY perspective having spent 5 days in Charlotte, it is like a cleaner, more pleasant, Northern NJ/Bergen county. People seem to complain about the traffic, but I've seen alot worse. There is tons of shopping. You can see that there alot of $$ is being pumped into development, but this development appears to be well thought out. There is some sense of sprawl, but that is to be expected in any fast-growing area, and having looked at Phoenix, Atlanta & Vegas in my life, I can say that Charlotte seems to be doing it alot smarter. The people are very friendly & helpful. They are not 'clicky'. (A HUGE issue that I CANNOT overestimate enough if "feeling at home" is important to you - in many small-to-medium Southern towns, they take pleasure in making you feel like an outsider if you are not 'born & raised' there)

And the final thing that will make you feel at home -- you will see alot of NY & NJ license plates! We sure did.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:00 AM

Thank you for your reply.. it really helps to hear from someone else who has relocated. I am trying to decide between two job offers, one is in Charlotte NC and the other in Weston FL. The problem is, I have to make a decision quickly and I really want to research both areas thoroughly first. This board has been a tremendous help. Thanks again!!

Old 11-29-2006, 08:44 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,843,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthboundSoon View Post
Thank you for your reply.. it really helps to hear from someone else who has relocated. I am trying to decide between two job offers, one is in Charlotte NC and the other in Weston FL. The problem is, I have to make a decision quickly and I really want to research both areas thoroughly first. This board has been a tremendous help. Thanks again!!
OK. I haven't been to Charlotte YET but plan to do so soon because I live in Miami. Weston is not THAT far from me and I consider it a very nice place, upscalish. Surrounded by other upscalish towns. And upscalish people. Sometimes a little snotty. And so are the prices. Throw in homeowners insurance for a real treat on your pocket. Depending on what your salary will be here and the lifestyle you like to have, do your math!!! Do it for Charlotte too since it seems that Florida's no State Tax may work out better than lower cost of housing in NC but a bunch of other taxes will chew you up. I've been reading that all other costs (utilities, gasoline, food, water, etc.) are about the same in either location.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:20 AM

Thanks.. that gives me something to think about. We are really just average people, looking for a safe yet fun town (my boys are 18 and 16, so I want them to have things to do). Not sure we would fit in an upscale town. The company is based in Weston, maybe I could find an apartment outside of Weston. Then I go back to Charlotte NC, and that seems equally as nice. I will visit both areas and hopefully will make the best choice. Thanks again!

Old 11-29-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthboundSoon View Post
Thanks.. that gives me something to think about. We are really just average people, looking for a safe yet fun town (my boys are 18 and 16, so I want them to have things to do). Not sure we would fit in an upscale town. The company is based in Weston, maybe I could find an apartment outside of Weston. Then I go back to Charlotte NC, and that seems equally as nice. I will visit both areas and hopefully will make the best choice. Thanks again!
There might be more for the kids to do in Florida and Weston (or surrounding area) might be safe enough and their circle of friends should be good quality. That's a tough age anywhere. But wouldn't they be "leaving" home kind of soon for college?

Old 11-29-2006, 01:37 PM

1,118 posts, read 3,241,274 times
We were in that area of Florida last month. I told the friends we were visiting that this is the last time we drive south of Daytona Beach!
Take a quick look at how many people are bailing out of that mess! Have you ever been in southern Florida in the summer?

Old 11-29-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
We were in that area of Florida last month. I told the friends we were visiting that this is the last time we drive south of Daytona Beach!
Take a quick look at how many people are bailing out of that mess! Have you ever been in southern Florida in the summer?
You know, it IS hot here but, honestly, you're in AC most of the time, or the water. Home is AC, car, restaurants, malls, supermarkets. You can sweat really badly in a minute but.....will take that over NY winter anytime (which I did for about 35 years). Weston area has a lot more open area than the Miami area. Not half as bad as central Florida where you have NO breeze. The only mess here now is homeowners insurance. Traffic is bad all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or