U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 11:41 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,970,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Your opinion. Keep fighting the fight. I'm moving on.
Actually he pointed out facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 11:54 AM

2,393 posts, read 3,340,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Charlotte widely does oppose it but the GOP is driven by districts beyond Mecklenburg county. If it were a popular vote it wouldn't be close! NC opposes HB2!

The shame is that rural NC slack jawed ingrates that support politicians who fight for HB2 come from from well intended but misinformed positions. They think HB2 is about preserving traditional values. They think it is protection from an overzealous "PC Culture" that is a threat to their way of life. They think this is true because that is the message that has been forced down their throat through propaganda and boogie-man tactics. They are wrong.

They won't pay for their ignorance as it doesn't matter to their pocket books if they're wrong because they won't be impacted as much as those in the city who are giving up the events and making companies pull out of the state. Charlotte and Raleigh will bear the brunt of the cost; cities that widely oppose HB2.

This was and still is a non-issue. Stupid of Charlotte to push forward an unnecessary ordinance in the first place. Worse for the state to compensate with HB2 - passed at the last minute with provisions that make us look like a far less tolerant and accepting state. Deplorable for the GOP to activate boogie man tactics to rouse fear and make this about bathrooms when it wasn't, and now what we have is a bunch of uninformed mouth breathers claiming the sky is falling.

You're right that you can't blame a business for protecting their image, but the way this bill was created is enough of a reason to know that it WAS NOT A RESULT of popular voting. There are too many important issues to spend time on in North Carolina for this one to occupy attention. It's a shame.
I'm talking bigger picture. The current legislature and governor were put in place by popular vote to overturn (not amend) NC's long standing annexation laws, re-district in a different way, and take stands based on a certain ideology, among other things. HB2 is just the latest one on a long running agenda. This is not saying I'm taking sides and that all issues they tackled were wrong. It is what it is. Popular vote is the only thing that can change that agenda or at least provide balance to it. That missing balance is why we ended up with HB2 and why I do think people can charge the governor with this mess. He actually did have power to change the law via negotiations. But he wanted to get re-elected and needed his party's support, right?

Had a sitting republican state senator tell me personally that he thought many in his party were "nuts". Goes both ways certainly, but there is no moderate voice....and now, not only did they create a problem, that they had to admit, but they continue to respond by throwing stones at legitimate business organizations. It's the real NC coming out...the longstanding filter is apparently off.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:24 PM

993 posts, read 742,810 times
Quote:

This was and still is a non-issue. Stupid of Charlotte to push forward an unnecessary ordinance in the first place. Worse for the state to compensate with HB2 - passed at the last minute with provisions that make us look like a far less tolerant and accepting state. Deplorable for the GOP to activate boogie man tactics to rouse fear and make this about bathrooms when it wasn't, and now what we have is a bunch of uninformed mouth breathers claiming the sky is falling.
+1. Charlotte is getting what it deserves for passing a stupid ordinance and NC is getting what is deserves for passing an even stupider law.

I'm not sure the ACC, NBA and NCAA realize it but every blue city council located in a red state is watching. There's no way any reasonable city council enacts a similar ordinance for years. In a way, they are stifling any further progress on this issue.

Finally, if these protections are so important, why aren't they pushing for national reform? All of the important civil rights protections come from federal law. There's plenty of places with very limited LGBT protections. They've just been smart enough to not paint a target on themselves.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:38 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,609,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Thank the LBGT community. I hope these venues sue.
Oh hush with your non-sense... We have people who think like you to thank for the idiocy that runs rampant in the NC General Assembly and moron formerly known as Pat McCrory...

Old 09-15-2016, 03:31 PM

2,393 posts, read 3,417,959 times
Quote:
This post is ridiculous. The cost is both tangible and intangible. This has nothing to do with entitlement. The state largely opposes HB2.

HB2 Continues To Have Little Support From North Carolinians - Public Policy Polling
We'll see if that is true in Nov...if it is, every legislator and gov't official that backed HB 2 should be voted out. If not, then the state did support it.

Here in Ohio, our very conservative governor and legislature thankfully did not pursue such a terrible law as HB2.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:45 PM

982 posts, read 1,189,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Your opinion. Keep fighting the fight. I'm moving on.
It isn't an opinion. It is a fact he isn't in the GA or any part of lawmaking. The mental gymnastics are amazing.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:45 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,650,418 times
The ACC pulled 10 championship games from NC.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:01 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,783,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The irony of these decisions to abandon investments in events, company location decisions, etc. is that the people who are negatively impacted probably had nothing to do with HB2 themselves.

A private organization or company can pick whatever location they want or move away (as long as they aren't breaching a contract or other binding agreement). The huge downside to this type of "boycott" is it "punishes" the people who have nothing to do with the law, and quite possibly are just as disappointed with the way things have ended up themselves.

Maybe they think that putting this kind of pressure on the state (in the most nebulous and sweeping sense of the word "state") is going to get our elected officials to be more reasonable and not trample on anyone's rights and make a big spectacle over an issue that really should have been handled differently (rather than wasting lots of time, energy and tax dollars playing politics), but it apparently hasn't worked out that way yet.
I thought about that as well. This has certainly been an interesting situation to watch. I am waiting to see if corporations will be the next to follow. North Carolina is a great state and, in spite of the political turmoil, still a place people desire to live.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:25 AM

141 posts, read 106,090 times
NC will do fine without it. NC economy is doing just fine and growing. If you don't like how a state is run move out of it very simple. Some of us on here don't like sky high taxes and bonds to support thugs bouncing a ball. When is the CIAA moving? Soon I hope.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:37 AM

982 posts, read 1,189,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnc View Post
NC will do fine without it. NC economy is doing just fine and growing. If you don't like how a state is run move out of it very simple. Some of us on here don't like sky high taxes and bonds to support thugs bouncing a ball. When is the CIAA moving? Soon I hope.
So we want to be an isolationist state? Let us see how that works.

Thugs bouncing a ball, CIAA bye? Yeah I can see where this is going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or