Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:10 PM

870 posts, read 3,516,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Are better schools really worth an hour commute each way on a good day?
Better schools are not an hour away and are not in Union County. Some of the best schools are close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 03:14 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,375,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Better schools are not an hour away and are not in Union County. Some of the best schools are close by.
I think he just meant that there is a perception that better schools are an hour away, not that he believes they actually are

Old 02-22-2008, 08:07 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,298,063 times
Im sorry I have to disagree, I think depending on where in union are we do have some of the best schools...and dh does commute up to an hour 1x a week when we goes uptown from where we live with traffic...and we are jewish and I drive to the Charlotte Jewish Day School every day for us its worth it to live in Union

Old 02-22-2008, 11:58 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,896,875 times
You're right on target, 7 o 4!

Old 02-23-2008, 05:40 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,145,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdoc View Post
I am considering a job in downtown Charlotte and would be moving from NJ with my wife and 3 kids (ages 5,5 and 3). We need help picking neighborhoods to look for houses in the 550-650k range, excellent schools, where our kids wouldn't be the only Jewish kids in their class. Any ideas?

I would appreciate any advice.
At that price point you will have many options...though there are no guarantees about the demographics of a classroom (except perhaps at the Jewish Day School) The schools closer to the JCC might be a better bet for you.

In any case, we chose Union County, close to the South Charlotte border (and South Charlotte (Ballantyne area) before that). In many instances my children are the only Jewish kids in their class. But it has not bothered them at all. When he was about 8 I asked my oldest son (now 13) if he minded that he was the only Jewish kid in his class. First he looked at me funny (as if "what kind of crazy question is that?") and then said, "No, it makes me feel kind of special." His friends were more interested in learning about the differences in the religions. For my younger children now, I go in to the classroom to talk about Chanukah every year.

All that being said, we make a real effort to maintain the relationships the kids have with their Jewish friends (some friendships from preschool!) and encourage building their Jewish identity. They are in religious school and participate in JCC activities. It is about a 20 minute drive for us each way, but in my opinion it has been well worth it.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:28 PM
dsp

13 posts, read 47,320 times
Default also looking for neighborhoods

I am in a similar situation...looking to relocate this summer. I have elementary age children. I am looking for recommendations for social neighborhoods with children and good schools in the $600-$800's range. We are also Jewish and would like to live in a neighborhood with some similar families or have some families at the public schools. We have been looking in the South Charlotte area. Most of the elementary schools look good, however, I am a bit confused about the middle and high school options. Also, can anyone explain how the magnet schools work? Thanks!

Old 03-18-2008, 06:41 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,896,875 times
Yeaaaaaars ago when my kids were young, though not Jewish I sent the youngest to Temple Israel Pre-school because there were not many Jews in Charlotte and I, coming from NY, wanted my kids to get a broader view of the US than one usually found in Charlotte. BUT this was years ago. Now you will find Jewish families all over Charlotte. As you might expect, the neighborhoods near the JCC, such as Foxcroft, have many Jewish families.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:51 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,298,063 times
right now there are over 13,450 jews living in Charlotte and surrounding areas..I know more and more that are moving to Union..I cant say however that our schools have alot we do have some my son is in 7th grade at marvin ridge middle and sure there are jewish kids just not an abundance of them, and if there are they might have a mom who is jewish and a dad that is not...if you want to stay in Mecklenburg, I know all of my dd's friends she goes to Charlotte Jewish Day School they live in Mecklenburg, just a few live in my area Waxhaw/Marvin...there are however Quiet a few people that live in Union that attend the JCC and Temple Israel...I would look at Beverly Crest and some of the developments by the Arboretum...

Old 05-06-2008, 01:17 AM

10 posts, read 70,510 times
We are Jewish - Eastover is great location for everything and very very close/convenient. Not many Jews but very nice accepting neighbors/families/schoolmates.

The public schools are very good/close:
Eastover Elementary is across the street.
Alexander Graham (AG) Middle School is < 2 miles.
Myers Park High School is next to AG.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-17-2008 at 12:16 AM..

Old 05-06-2008, 06:09 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,849,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdoc View Post
I am considering a job in downtown Charlotte and would be moving from NJ with my wife and 3 kids (ages 5,5 and 3). We need help picking neighborhoods to look for houses in the 550-650k range, excellent schools, where our kids wouldn't be the only Jewish kids in their class. Any ideas?

I would appreciate any advice.
I don't think that Charlotte schools require students to register their religion. It isn't normally a concern. I don't know if there is a real way to find out how many Jews are in a class unless a teacher does a Jewish head count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte