Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 09:34 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times

Advertisements

Matthews Festival is a retail center located at the northwest corner of Matthews Township Parkway and East Independence Boulevard in the town of Matthews in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. It is anchored by a supermarket, Harris Teeter #157; a home improvement store, The Home Depot #3602; and a discount/closeout store, Big Lots #1643.

Big Lots #1643, 10416 East Independence Boulevard, Suite 500, Matthews, North Carolina 28105-4975
Was Big Lots #1643 previously a supermarket?

Publix
Lakeland, Florida-based supermarket Publix is planned for a 42,112-square-foot store at Matthew Festival. I do not see it positioned on the site plan. I wonder if will locate in a former strip northeast of The Home Depot #3602, 1837 Matthews Township Parkway, Matthews, North Carolina 28105-4660.

Publix would be the second supermarket at Matthews Festival. Harris Teeter #157, 1811 Matthews Township Parkway, Matthews, North Carolina 28105-4659, is already present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 10:30 PM

5,159 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Very interesting to have 2 competing supermarkets in the same shopping center. And if I remember, there used to be a nice multiscreen theater in that shopping center. But that theater may have closed a good while ago.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:32 PM

That theater is where I think Publix will locate.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:17 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Very interesting to have 2 competing supermarkets in the same shopping center. And if I remember, there used to be a nice multiscreen theater in that shopping center. But that theater may have closed a good while ago.
It looks like the parcels that include the Big Lots and former movie theater/gym were auctioned off in 2015. The auction didn't include the Harris Teeter or Home Depot parcels.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:31 AM

601 posts, read 963,520 times
Some bad news, but it looks like the Publix plan isn't happening. I was just informed that the site plan for MF was from an owner that foreclosed, and the property was subsequently sold off through auction to Ziff Properties. Any development happening in this space has to be signed off by the neighboring shopping center (Harris Teeter), and they're not going to agree to it if a Publix is involved. However, I am told that a Fresh Market, or another similar grocery store, could go there, since Harris Teeter doesn't consider them as direct competition.

The shopping center is still going to be redeveloped, just without a Publix. Sorry for the wrong news from earlier. If a new Publix were to happen near Independence, then maybe the old HH Greg location might be ideal. I think that's a 35k space.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
It looks like the parcels that include the Big Lots and former movie theater/gym were auctioned off in 2015. The auction didn't include the Harris Teeter or Home Depot parcels.
That appears to be the case, and vacant spaces paired with Big Lots #1643 are in an attempt to be filled.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
Some bad news, but it looks like the Publix plan isn't happening. I was just informed that the site plan for MF was from an owner that foreclosed, and the property was subsequently sold off through auction to Ziff Properties. Any development happening in this space has to be signed off by the neighboring shopping center (Harris Teeter), and they're not going to agree to it if a Publix is involved. However, I am told that a Fresh Market, or another similar grocery store, could go there, since Harris Teeter doesn't consider them as direct competition.

The shopping center is still going to be redeveloped, just without a Publix. Sorry for the wrong news from earlier. If a new Publix were to happen near Independence, then maybe the old HH Greg location might be ideal. I think that's a 35k space.
Stepping away from Matthews Festival, is there speculation of Publix considering sites in the trade area?

Old 09-18-2016, 03:51 PM

601 posts, read 963,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Stepping away from Matthews Festival, is there speculation of Publix considering sites in the trade area?
I haven't heard anything as of late. I would definitely like to see one on the eastern side of Independence in Matthews, especially with so much residential development being built. It's a death trap for someone living on the other side of Independence to cross it by foot, and Harris Teeter is the only closest grocery store in that area. The other closest store would be the Food Lion in Mint Hill, off Matthews Township Parkway. The Hobby Lobby off Matthews Township used to be a Hannaford back in the day, which is why I think the old HH Greg next door would be perfect for a grocery store.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:15 PM

5,159 posts, read 7,346,591 times
What did they do with the old Super Kmart store which I believe was near Sardis Rd?

Old 09-19-2016, 10:07 AM

501 posts, read 528,389 times
In regards to the festival, the last time I went to one in Matthews, there were no beer booths. That was a bit of a downer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte