U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:58 AM

578 posts, read 2,353,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb113072 View Post
This has nothing to do with excercise. Exercise should not be used as punishment... period. I have been to Europe, many people are overweight there as well. I am sure we could find an American woman equally as fit. I believe I would be disgusted to see a thong hanging out of any pants, no matter the fitness of the wearer.Why should a child with a disability have to go to a whole different school system? A child with a disability (mental or physical) has the same rights as any other child. I did say that the child had surgery on her legs and was wearing leg casts. Anyway, I called this morning. The parents are aware of the situation, have contacted the principal, and are anxiously awaiting response.
Good for you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 12:07 PM

111 posts, read 124,160 times
Oh my gosh, I cannot believe you think a child with a disability is IRREGULAR. Union county should be equally able to provide education to disabled children. The OP was about this child being made to walk as punishment. I doubt my son would have been so upset if this were a normal punishment for the other child. Fully understanding the childs situation now, I am completely disgusted with his teacher.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,036,734 times
Quote:
I am completely disgusted with his teacher.
Can you honestly pass judgment on what you have read in this post?!
The OP must contact the teacher and the parent involved and report back here before I will judge.

Last edited by mullman; 02-23-2008 at 12:46 PM..

Old 02-23-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCquest View Post
What does the thong picture have to do with forced walking punishment of elementary school children? Obesity should be dealt with at home-the teachers have enough to do without trying to forcibly keep their students in shape.
Have you looked around, go to your local mall, parents are fat to.
Many not walking further than from their SUV to the buffet.
Fat parents do not walk their children. If a teacher makes a kid run a few laps is it really the end of the world?

Walking never killed a child. I was paddled in school locally as well (private, yrs ago) , but I sure will not bring that up, in addition to being made to run laps as punishment.

I will reserve judgement until the teacher or parent posts. I will not judge on hearsay from a student.
To do so is very small minded, but please go ahead...

Last edited by mullman; 02-23-2008 at 12:44 PM..

Old 02-23-2008, 12:19 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,165,300 times
Quote:
The parents are aware of the situation, have contacted the principal, and are anxiously awaiting response.
Thankfully, the principal at Rea View Elementary is a very fair and professional person. I'm sure this issue will be resolved.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:47 PM

179 posts, read 530,695 times
Default It just gets worse, I can't believe it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Again there has not yet been a post clarifying the exact disability of the child.
Which the OP probably is not exactly aware.

Reserve judgement until you know the complete facts.

IMHO the bigger issue is why is this disabled child (again, we do not know the facts on the disability) being schooled along and in the same class as 'regular' children. My interest is peaked at the CMS system has great programs for children with special needs from what I understand.

"Regular", is that as opposed to "Irregular" ???????? What absolute and unimaginable ignorance !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by billjr; 02-23-2008 at 02:01 PM..

Old 02-23-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
This has nothing to do with exercise. Exercise should not be used as punishment... period. I have been to Europe, many people are overweight there as well. I am sure we could find an American woman equally as fit. I believe I would be disgusted to see a thong hanging out of any pants, no matter the fitness of the wearer.Why should a child with a disability have to go to a whole different school system? A child with a disability (mental or physical) has the same rights as any other child. I did say that the child had surgery on her legs and was wearing leg casts. Anyway, I called this morning. The parents are aware of the situation, have contacted the principal, and are anxiously awaiting response.
Excellent, I applaud you for taking the time to intervene for that poor girl.

Bill

Old 02-23-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Can you honestly pass judgment on what you have read in this post?!
The OP must contact the teacher and the parent involved and report back here before I will judge.

She (cjb113072) IS the OP !!!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 02:53 PM

509 posts, read 1,642,783 times
Quote:
[b]

IMHO the bigger issue is why is this disabled child (again, we do not know the facts on the disability) being schooled along and in the same class as 'regular' children. My interest is peaked at the CMS system has great programs for children with special needs from what I understand.
It's called mainstreaming and it's also called the law. Mainstreaming is required whenever possible, depending on the child's disability and IEP (individual education plan).

GT

Old 02-23-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjr View Post
[/i][/b][/color]

"Regular", is that as opposed to "Irregular" ???????? What absolute and unimaginable ignorance !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your words, not mine.

IMHO it is irresponsible to post such a story to an online forum without the facts from the teacher or the parent directly involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or