Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:28 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,666,672 times

Advertisements

Carolina Guy's wife here....
We know of a family in Union county whose daughter broke her arm at school one day, and kept complaining to the teacher that it was "the worst pain in the world" The teacher ignored her because "she is such a drama queen" (direct quote to the mother) Had the mother (who is a nurse) not taken her child to the ER immediately casting would have not been an option, this little girl would have had to go through surgery. So I can see where the cause for concern is with the teacher's actions... As an early intervention speech therapist, I find it disgusting that if this child does have a physical disability that the teacher made her walk... My question is this: what credentials does the teacher have to determine weight bearing status, gait training etc ? So the very act of making this child walk, depending upon weight bearing status could further damage the efforts being made by her parents, and therapists.

And to mullman, I beg to differ in your evaluation of CMS providing services for those with special needs. If you would like further information please feel free to PM me.

Also when referring to those with special needs it is now preferred to speak of the person first, then the disability. When referring to those who do not have a disability you should refer to them as "typically developing" not regular vs. irregular.

~Carolinaguy's wife~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 10:56 AM

111 posts, read 165,462 times
threebs- I agree with that completely. Children need their recess to burn energy and release stress. I work with ADHD kids. These kids seem to be punished the most, yet they are the ones who desperately need recess. My sons teacher NEVER gives the kids their full recess. They are lucky to get 5-10 min out of the 30 min. Some days they get 0 min.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:16 PM

18 posts, read 77,599 times
I completely agree with the original post that the situation needed to be investigated. And per her subsequent posts it is being looked into. Hats off to her for being concerned enough to take time and call the parents. More people need to take a few moments to care. It would make the world a better place.

However, until full information is available, I won’t condemn the teacher. If the principle finds her behavior endangered the child, no punishment is too severe. (Make her walk laps with tacks in her shoes would be my first choice) If her actions did not endanger the child, then she shouldn’t be punished. Counseled, sent for more training, or made to meet with the parents to discuss issues related to what ever the disability is, but not punished.

I have a physical disability and as a kid I could not run laps, but I could walk them. I agree with Carolina Guy’s wife in wondering how did it affect the child’s recovery from surgery? It may have caused harm. It may have helped. While in school I spent two years in casts after surgery, and know first hand that walking can be good exercise. It all depends on where the patient is in the recovery process.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marblmom View Post
As far as the punishment goes, rather than embarrassing and degrading kids in front of everyone else, there are other options. At my child's school,
Why not punish the child in front of the whole class? Particularly if they misbehaved in front of the class.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThreeBs View Post
Where I live (outside of NC) it is illegal to take a child's recess away as punishment.

I think that is political correctness gone too far. I have no problem with making a child do laps, or clean chalk boards during recess or any other punisahment that isnt going to endanger a child. Taking away recess is like taking the video games away. It is something the children look forward to. If they continue to misbehave after spending a recess in punishment, then send them to the principle for a phone call to the parents.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:14 PM

513 posts, read 2,111,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrep View Post
Why not punish the child in front of the whole class? Particularly if they misbehaved in front of the class.
I think that making a child walk, in pain, in front of her class is very degrading. Obviously, the other kids were affected by it, as evidenced by the OP's son's reaction. I am all for having the kids have to move their name tag from a green (good behavior) zone on a board to the red or yellow (poor behavior) board - or something like that. That is done in front of the class. But I think that making a girl with casts on both her legs walk (or try to walk) in front of everyone else at recess is just degrading and mean. Just my opinion. Honestly, I can't believe that anyone could watch that happening and not feel like it wasn't right!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:06 PM

111 posts, read 165,462 times
marblmom - absoluetly! My heart goes out to that little girl. I just cant imagine what was going through her little head while she was walking laps.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:21 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,881 times
Without divulging personal details about those involved, I wonder if the OP could tell us if there has been any resolution to this incident?

Old 02-26-2008, 09:52 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
I have been wondering this too. It seems that there is a lot of anger over speculation.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Without divulging personal details about those involved, I wonder if the OP could tell us if there has been any resolution to this incident?

Old 02-27-2008, 01:44 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb113072 View Post
I do not think it is a very effective punishment, my boys run laps around our house for fun. I also dont like using exercise as punishment, it associates excercise with bad feelings. It is one thing to have a REGULAR child (as mullman would say) do laps, but quite a different thing to have a child with leg casts and a recent surgery do laps. I feel that was extremely poor judgement and the teacher should be reprimanded if not fired.
I so agree with this. Using exercise for punishment does not seem to work. I feel that it makes children view exercise in a negative way since they are being forced to do it. At my daughters old school the kids had to run laps when their parents didn't sign their homework folder everyday. Well one day my daughters teacher said that I did not sign her homework folder and made her walk laps. My daughter was humilated as she has never gotten in trouble at school before and she was in tears. The irony is that I did sign the hw folder the teacher had made the mistake. I find it hard to swallow that some of these kids are walking laps everyday b/c their parents are too irresponsible to sign their folder. I thought parents were supposed to be responsibe for kids, not vise versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte