Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:41 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,696,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb113072 View Post
Rea View Elem - Union County Last week, my sons teacher made a disabled little girl in his class walk numerous laps around the playground as a punishment for something done in class. My son was very upset by this situation. He felt so bad for this little girl. Does anyone else think this is absolutely awful? I have been thinking about calling the parents to make sure they are aware. Should I butt in or let it go? Opinions?
I find the "laps for punishment" ridiculous in that school! My son has told me that there is someone walking laps at almost every recess from his class alone. There's got to be a better way to discipline children, especially in elementary school! I think some of these classrooms are soooo overcrowded and most of the teachers are so young, that they just don't have the patience or experience in how to effectively repremand a child. I've heard several stories about how children at Rea View are punished for simple infractions like talking on the way to the bathroom!
I recently questioned my son about the "lap-walking" punishment at his school, to which he said: "I guess that's the only punishment the teachers can come up with." I thought that was pretty insightful, coming from a young child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 10:25 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,259,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I find the "laps for punishment" ridiculous in that school!
I am a native and ran laps for punishment many times from scouts to school & after school activities. To be completely honest I am probably much better for it. Military discipline works wonders.

I would prefer my children to be lean and fit as opposed to lazy and fat, esp if they are disobedient in school. Again I do not know this specific situation, just my personal opinion.

The OP should seek the truth before posting to an online forum or calling the paper. There has been no clarification on the specific disability of the child in question. Americans in general are so in need of exercise, just go to any local mall and look around...

This post will not be received well, and I know why.
The OP should contact the teacher and parent involved before relying on their child for sole information.

Last edited by mullman; 02-23-2008 at 10:50 AM..

Old 02-23-2008, 10:34 AM

26 posts, read 87,116 times
We are talking about a school-not boot camp. School is supposed to be enjoyable as well a learning experience. Believe me, I am all about discipline-my son attends behavioral therapy twice a week to learn socialization and life skills. But it is taught in a positive way-not in a manipulating and embarassing way for the children. Reading about this child's experience is an absolute disgrace and if child services were brought into these matters, the schools would be a better place for these children. The child is disabled! She could have been disciplined for her wrongdoing in a more appropriate manner. What a shame.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCquest View Post
The child is disabled! She could have been disciplined for her wrongdoing in a more appropriate manner. What a shame.
Again there has not yet been a post clarifying the exact disability of the child.
Which the OP probably is not exactly aware.

Reserve judgement until you know the complete facts.

IMHO the bigger issue is why is this disabled child (again, we do not know the facts on the disability) being schooled along and in the same class as 'regular' children. My interest is peaked at the CMS system has great programs for children with special needs from what I understand.

Last edited by mullman; 02-23-2008 at 10:47 AM..

Old 02-23-2008, 10:38 AM

429 posts, read 727,227 times
It seems as though everyone has very strong feelings on this subject. Teachers and people who are related to them feel one way, parents feel another, males and females seem to disagree on how the matter should be handled (which is not unusual....). However, I see your point in seeking advice from others. Many times, I find myself not knowing what to do in certan situations and seek the advice of friends. In a way, this forum can become ones "friends". I know I have come to value the opinion of many who post here. An individual could learn a lot by reading CD each day. Don't feel badly for asking advice, you were concerned for a child and it's always best to put a child's best interest first. IMO, as others suggested, talk with other parents and see what other children interpretations of the event were. If they were also upset and saw things the way your child did, then you need to call the parents. Let the parents know that you are not trying to stir up trouble, but only trying to make them aware of what happened. They may, laugh and explain to you that this in no way harmed their child and that feel the same way that mullman feels about running/walking laps as a form of punishment.
Or you may hear "thank you, our child never tells us anything". Regardless of what they tell you, it's over! You have done all that you could do, and you have, IMO went about it the right way. Good Luck. And, Bless you for caring about other people children.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:04 AM

mullman, have you been to Europe lately? Fast food has found it's way over the big pond too! Not everyone in Europe is thin, as you would like to believe.

Using "forced walking" as a punishment would not necessarily teach a child to enjoy it as an exercise.
I would hope that another parent would give me "the heads-up" on a situation that involved my child. I give the OP a lot of credit for having the courage to question this situation. And I can attest to the fact that walking laps at recess is a form of punishment that is used at that school.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
mullman, have you been to Europe lately? Fast food has found it's way over the big pond too! Not everyone in Europe is thin, as you would like to believe.

Using "forced walking" as a punishment would not necessarily teach a child to enjoy it as an exercise.
I would hope that another parent would give me "the heads-up" on a situation that involved my child. I give the OP a lot of credit for having the courage to question this situation. And I can attest to the fact that walking laps at recess is a form of punishment that is used at that school.
Well I was not there in December 2007 or January 2008 (but in 2007: London, Paris, Munich, Frankfurt, Geneva, & Zurich) so depends on what lately means to you regarding European travel.

I will be back next week (Munich). I have been a runner for 30 yrs or so and it has never really been enjoyable, just what I have to do to have the body I desire. I do not want to be 'fat'.

Again we still do not know the specific disability of the child in question. The greater question, IMHO, is why is a child of physical disability (according to the OP) being in a class with children of normal physical abilities? From what I have read CMS has amazing programs for disabilities, at least I have read that in the Charlotte Observer.

Re: forced walking:

Walking never hurt anyone.
Go to your favorite mall and look around.
I march my kids regularly around the neighborhood.
They do not like it, but I would rather them be grumpy than fat.

Obviously you draw a different conclusion.

Last edited by mullman; 02-23-2008 at 11:47 AM..

Old 02-23-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Well I was not there in December 2007 or January 2008 (but in 2007: London, Paris, Munich, Frankfurt, Geneva, & Zurich) so depends on what lately means to you regarding European travel.

I will be back next week (Munich). I have been a runner for 30 yrs or so and it has never really been enjoyable, just what I have to do to have the body I desire. I do not want to be 'fat'.

Again we still do not know the specific disability of the child in question. The greater question, IMHO, is why is a child of physical disability (according to the OP) being in a class with children of normal physical abilities? From what I have read CMS has amazing programs for disabilities, at least I have read that in the Charlotte Observer.

Re: forced walking:

Walking never hurt anyone.
Go to your favorite mall and look around.
I march my kids regularly around the neighborhood.
They do not like it, but I would rather them be grumpy than fat.

Obviously you draw a different conclusion.
I have family in Germany and travel back every two years or so. Not everyone in Europe is thin, I just wanted to clarify that, since you were using it in your argument. No need to be confused.

If you don't like running, why torture yourself? There are plenty of other fun and enjoyable exercises/sports activities that one can do to stay fit.
But that's not the point of this post.
The OP was concerned about the treatment of a child in an area school and was seeking advice on what to do in the given situation. No where did he/she state that the newspaper and/or authorities would be contacted. (Someone else suggested that.)
This thread was not started to discuss whether or not American children were fat, or needed more exercise. It was started to gain some insight on a dilemma.

Last edited by stmaarten; 02-23-2008 at 12:02 PM..

Old 02-23-2008, 12:17 PM

26 posts, read 87,116 times
What does the thong picture have to do with forced walking punishment of elementary school children? Obesity should be dealt with at home-the teachers have enough to do without trying to forcibly keep their students in shape. Whether the child had broken legs, is deformed or non of the above, I still do not agree with these tactics as I am sure other compassionate parents will agree. If the child is physically challenged and not mentally challenged, there is no reason why she shouldn't be part of a regular classroom.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:54 PM

111 posts, read 163,748 times
This has nothing to do with excercise. Exercise should not be used as punishment... period. I have been to Europe, many people are overweight there as well. I am sure we could find an American woman equally as fit. I believe I would be disgusted to see a thong hanging out of any pants, no matter the fitness of the wearer.Why should a child with a disability have to go to a whole different school system? A child with a disability (mental or physical) has the same rights as any other child. I did say that the child had surgery on her legs and was wearing leg casts. Anyway, I called this morning. The parents are aware of the situation, have contacted the principal, and are anxiously awaiting response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte