U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 11:00 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

3,191 posts, read 3,653,674 times

Advertisements

The Observer is too consumed with frivolity to inform Charlottean's on the gas shortage.

Does all of Charlotte's fuel come via the pipeline? Is the origin of the fuel we consume from Texas alone?

Has anything like this happened in the past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 11:14 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,396,845 times
Good questions - I'm interested in the answers as well.

I first heard about it 3 nights ago and immediately took our cars to the closest station and filled up. I think the price was 2.20. The next day I heard that the shortage really wasn't that big of a deal as it would be fixed in 6-7 days but that people were getting nervous and filling up their cars before necessary and that this was making a small problem worse. Turned red when I heard that.

Sorry guys. If you need a ride and don't have gas, let me know. I'm not a worry wart, but my wife is expecting soon and didn't want to have to Uber my wife to CMC.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:29 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

3,191 posts, read 3,653,674 times
Colonial Pipeline expects to restart pipeline Wednesday after leak - Winston-Salem Journal: State / Region

ATLANTA — A main gas line is expected to restart Wednesday with a temporary bypass after a leak and spill in Alabama led to surging fuel prices and some gas shortages across the South, a company official said Tuesday.

The roughly 500-foot (152- meter) section of pipe that will serve as the bypass is now complete, and the company expects that will allow it to restart the main gasoline line, Colonial Pipeline spokesman Steve Baker told The Associated Press.
"Tomorrow's restart of the main gasoline line is a key milestone," Baker said. "However, it will take a few days for the fuel supply chain to fully recover."

Old 09-20-2016, 11:30 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,457,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
The Observer is too consumed with frivolity to inform Charlottean's on the gas shortage.

Does all of Charlotte's fuel come via the pipeline? Is the origin of the fuel we consume from Texas alone?

Has anything like this happened in the past?
I have read that the pipeline carries about 40% of the region's (eastern US) gasoline. I would think that figure is higher for NC, given one of the main distribution facilities on the pipeline is in Greensboro.

The Observer has 6 articles posted in the last 24 hours about the story.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:07 PM

2,210 posts, read 2,386,129 times
NDL,
Thanks for the link to the Winston Story on the pipeline updates.

While it was great to see it will be repaired and operation that wasn't the only piece of interesting information I gathered from the story.

How about this:

"Wargo runs a nonprofit organization that supplies pet food to people in need and spends much of his time on the road."

What???? I can't believe we need a non-profit for people that own pets but can't afford them.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:20 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,457,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
NDL,
Thanks for the link to the Winston Story on the pipeline updates.

While it was great to see it will be repaired and operation that wasn't the only piece of interesting information I gathered from the story.

How about this:

"Wargo runs a nonprofit organization that supplies pet food to people in need and spends much of his time on the road."

What???? I can't believe we need a non-profit for people that own pets but can't afford them.
I'm surprised you find that surprising. I'm sure there are hundreds, if not thousands of such organizations in the US. This is something you've never heard of?

Old 09-20-2016, 02:38 PM

3,472 posts, read 4,361,420 times
The Observer had a front page story about the gas in today's paper. And WBTV reporting this afternoon the pipeline is being repaired and back to normal in a few days.

Some of the QT stores ran out of gas but they prioritize refilling their stores near the interstates first.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:33 PM

3,416 posts, read 3,228,733 times
There was a gas shortage in September of 2008 in the area.

Gas Shortage In the South Creates Panic, Long Lines

This one doesn't seem to be as bad. I know some stations surrounding me are totally out of gas but I read that stations should have gas in the next couple of days.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:36 PM

2,210 posts, read 2,386,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm surprised you find that surprising. I'm sure there are hundreds, if not thousands of such organizations in the US. This is something you've never heard of?
Not surprised someone found a way to supply dog food to those that can't afford it, just surprised it gains non-profit status and people are okay with it. Someone makes a profit despite the non-profit tag.

PT Barnum was correct.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:23 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,626,989 times
I first heard about it Saturday afternoon on the way back from a football game. Got up early Sunday morning to fill up and my 5 gallon can and one station was out near me but the other had some. I'd rather play the odds and err on the side of caution in this situation as I have strong reservations of a gas company saying exactly how bad a leak was and the reality of it being much worse (deepwater horizon anyone?).

If nothing else I probably got the gas cheaper Sunday morning than I would had if I filled up later in the week now that prices have gone up even more.

I've got a friend in law enforcement who's had to provide security when the pipeline has to be accessed locally for inspection/repairs and he says it's a very impressively sized pipe for sure (that's also what she said).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or