U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 11:04 AM

3,322 posts, read 4,537,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Interesting logic there. So anyone committing a violent crime should be shot and killed by a police officer?
Depends on the violent crime.

Shot and killed? Perhaps not. Shot? Once again, depends on the violent crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 11:04 AM
LLN

4,977 posts, read 8,727,347 times
Quote:
I think your post is hitting on something real - and a big part of the problem - exposing an antiquated idea of maintaining dominance through force by all means necessary. Continuing down this track won't end well. We don't need more forced compliance. We need more empathy, understanding and community building.

"The beatings will continue until morale improves" is a zero sum philosophy for "idiots" as you call them.
Three points:

First: One man's dominance is another man's order. I have no problem doing what the police tell me to, because my goal is to get out of the situation. And I sure as heck don't seek confrontation and there is no way in the universe, I would get out of my car, right in front of police, carrying a weapon. A no brainer, at least to me!

Secondly, empathy, understanding and all that is a two way street. Its a really hard street to get on to with mutual trust and respect, which is lacking sorely from all participants.

Finally, How does "forced compliance" equate with "following laws?" I have a hard time separating the two. That seems a very slippery slope, and would rely on personable responsibility (from everyone) to a degree for which there is no evidence it exists.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:05 AM

44,519 posts, read 17,783,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
humans are violent, there is no way anyone can make me believe one race is more violent than another. Especially when we look back at the history if this country. ....
Violence isn't dictated by one's race.

Violence is dictated by one's culture. (a choice BTW)

Old 09-21-2016, 11:14 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,369,763 times
Quote:
Charlotte is still great. There are many white people protesting on behalf of and living close to black people in relative harmony.
This is a true statement, more so that you may imagine. This is not a racial issue, this is cultural. Period. No further discussion.

And I find it extremely amusing that some of you posters are accusing people of "fearing" black people because they move their families and keep their kids away from the bad apples. Again, that's cultural. My wife and I encourage our mixed-race son to socialize with only kids who are considered "good"; that means white kids, black kids, Hispanic kids, Asian kids, who are parented correctly and have a decent belief system and character. Two of his best friends are also black. We love the parents, go to church with one of them, etc. On the other hand, there is a black kid in the neighborhood who is clearly lacking on good direction from his parents. Does this mean we are "scared" of black people? I have to be crass for a second, but I'll make it as polite as possible. Please, GTFO with that.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:14 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,419,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Depends on the violent crime.

Shot and killed? Perhaps not. Shot? Once again, depends on the violent crime.
Yeah, Screw the 6th amendment.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:23 AM

5,895 posts, read 5,701,123 times
Quote:
Can you link these studies? I'd like to read them.
The most recent: An Empirical Analysis of Racial Differences in Police Use of Force | Roland G. Fryer, Jr.

Quote:
On the most extreme use of force –officer-involved shootings – we find no racial differences in either the raw data or when contextual factors are taken into account.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:29 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,387,873 times
Thanks

Old 09-21-2016, 11:39 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,387,873 times
I recall reading this piece in the NY Times. I think Fryer came under heavy scrutiny, as well as the NY Times, for misleading the public into believing his work was a study. This work in progress is not peer reviewed and has not met methodological criteria for what would constitute a "study". Still, I find it interesting and hope he continues to expand his sample size and does eventually go through a peer review process, as this kind of work is needed.

A 'Harvard Study' Doesn't Disprove Racial Bias in Officer-Involved Shootings : snopes.com

Have you read this one?

The World Is Not Black and White: Racial Bias in the Decision to Shoot in a Multiethnic Context - Sadler - 2012 - Journal of Social Issues - Wiley Online Library

We examined implicit race biases in the decision to shoot potentially hostile targets in a multiethnic context. Results of two studies showed that college-aged participants and police officers showed anti-Black racial bias in their response times: they were quicker to correctly shoot armed Black targets and to indicate “don't shoot” for unarmed Latino, Asian, and White targets. In addition, police officers showed racial biases in response times toward Latinos versus Asians or Whites, and surprisingly, toward Whites versus Asians. Results also showed that the accuracy of decisions to shoot was higher for Black and Latino targets than for White and Asian targets. Finally, the degree of bias shown by police officers toward Blacks was related to contact, attitudes, and stereotypes. Overestimation of community violent crime correlated with greater bias toward Latinos but less toward Whites. Implications for police training to ameliorate biases are discussed.

Or what about this one?

PLOS ONE: A Multi-Level Bayesian Analysis of Racial Bias in Police Shootings at the County-Level in the United States, 2011

A geographically-resolved, multi-level Bayesian model is used to analyze the data presented in the U.S. Police-Shooting Database (USPSD) in order to investigate the extent of racial bias in the shooting of American civilians by police officers in recent years. In contrast to previous work that relied on the FBI’s Supplemental Homicide Reports that were constructed from self-reported cases of police-involved homicide, this data set is less likely to be biased by police reporting practices. County-specific relative risk outcomes of being shot by police are estimated as a function of the interaction of: 1) whether suspects/civilians were armed or unarmed, and 2) the race/ethnicity of the suspects/civilians. The results provide evidence of a significant bias in the killing of unarmed black Americans relative to unarmed white Americans, in that the probability of being {black, unarmed, and shot by police} is about 3.49 times the probability of being {white, unarmed, and shot by police} on average. Furthermore, the results of multi-level modeling show that there exists significant heterogeneity across counties in the extent of racial bias in police shootings, with some counties showing relative risk ratios of 20 to 1 or more. Finally, analysis of police shooting data as a function of county-level predictors suggests that racial bias in police shootings is most likely to emerge in police departments in larger metropolitan counties with low median incomes and a sizable portion of black residents, especially when there is high financial inequality in that county. There is no relationship between county-level racial bias in police shootings and crime rates (even race-specific crime rates), meaning that the racial bias observed in police shootings in this data set is not explainable as a response to local-level crime rates.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:48 AM

44,519 posts, read 17,783,028 times
^Dear, Charlotte is a Democrat Plantation City.

There have been two Black mayors in the last 5 years, the city council has numerous Black members, and the police chief is Black. One of the mayors (the one not tossed in jail) is now part of the Obama Administration. Democrats, the of Hillary Clinton who claims to be wife of the first "Black" president, run the city government.

i.e. This problem isn't caused by White society.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:48 AM

21,903 posts, read 27,184,852 times
Quote:
I agree that focusing on the swell of violence and misinformed is distracting and counter productive if gaining sympathy is the goal. There are idiots in every movement. I could go to any political rally/service group/congregation in America and find a cringe-worthy example. I don't think the protest had a goal. This protest was a result of absolute disgust and fatigue from a community that walks in fear every day due to the prevalence of unjustified police brutality. Whether or not the specifics of this case prove that Scott had a gun pointed at an officer, these people are fed up and angry and feel disconnected. I hope the police can release a video soon to show that he did point a gun. So far it sounds like they aren't sure that it was actually pointed.

Charlotte police chief not certain whether gun pointed at police | myfox8.com

If not, I think more protests are coming. These people can't trust the police (for good, justified reasons) and that simple relationship/history is something many Americans, and people in affluent Charlotte, have difficulty accepting/reconciling. Not all police are bad. And FYI - There were many white protesters present for a good portion of the evening that the media did not choose to highlight. I've really been proud of Putney's comments on the national issue thus far.

I anticipate more protesting and hope the conversation can be redirected to the larger issues. I hope the media can be responsible in their coverage instead of sensationalizing, but I am not holding my breath. Paul Cameron sounded so out of touch last night. When the media gains clicks and $ for hyping a story, they are going to really take advantage of portraying an incident as more violent, more chaotic. Did you hear how many officers were injured? I read 15 in one report, with the only injury being a rock thrown to the face. Did the others have stubbed toes? It really exposes a bias when people are willing to accept sensationalized media that fit their side of a debate and dismiss the rest when it doesn't agree with their side. The facebook vigilantes do the same thing.

We'll get past this. I hope the measured responses and outcomes show our better side. Charlotte can get this right.
Did it occur to you that maybe the black cop who pulled the trigger had the shooting of the cop in Shelby in the back of his mind? Like it or not, that was local. I'm no mind reader, but I'd bet that that floated into his mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or