Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 09:55 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Yet 6 times more likely to commit a violent crime. By that measure, it seems officers are using more restraint with blacks than whites
humans are violent, there is no way anyone can make me believe one race is more violent than another. Especially when we look back at the history if this country.

The problem is police patrol and spend more time in urban areas so of course there appears to be more violent crimes committed but Blacks.

This isn't true at all. White commit just as many violent acts and actually commit more due to being a larger segment of the population.

and yet, cops still feel more threatened by an unarmed Black man than a white guy who killed 2 people and was chewing the face off of one of the victims. That white guy was taken alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 09:55 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
You may want to do a bit more research.

Thank you for the scholarly advice, but your post did nothing to disprove my points.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:01 AM

501 posts, read 528,389 times
Quote:
Interesting logic there. So anyone committing a violent crime should be shot and killed by a police officer?
Why is that interesting to you? It is fact. Another factor is not doing as a policeman commands during a confrontation. Too many young people are too dumb to know that a cop's life is always subject to extreme danger and if it appears that a threat is there, the results won't be good. Besides, how many of the shootings have been of an innocent person. There are 350 million people in the U.S. It is pretty likely that there will be mistakes. Like teachers, it is getting to the point where it is so rough in public schools that the pool of highly qualified educators is diminishing. They can't do what they want to do as a teacher, teach. The same is becoming the reality with police. Who wants to protect a neighborhood where the occupants don't support you and will immediately stab you in the back as has been the case in many situations?

Old 09-21-2016, 10:09 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
Quote:
No, but wouldn't you expect more officer-involved shootings to happen during interactions with demographics committing more crime? Seems logical to me, but doesn't appear to be the case

I think it's a really complex issue that requires more study than I'm capable (or able). If the NRA and gun lobby would let the CDC study gun related deaths, we may be able to gain more clarity on the issue, but they won't, so we can't at the moment.

One factor that I would think you could argue is that police patrol black neighborhoods FAR more often than white ones, so you wouldn't think just by proximity that would be a factor in the difference. Maybe that's what you're saying.

It's worth mentioning that race based statistics (and statistics in general) can be misleading without context and that correlation does not equal causation. Some of the facebook stats going around can be really misleading or downright lies.

Trump's Pants on Fire tweet that blacks killed 81% of white homicide victims | PolitiFact

Old 09-21-2016, 10:14 AM

599 posts, read 401,313 times
All I can say is that I hope that stability returns to Charlotte tonight and remains that way as the last thing we need is more civil unrest. Now if the unrest does continue as I expect it to I would hope that the Governor would place the North Carolina National Guard on standby as a precaution.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:20 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,006,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
humans are violent, there is no way anyone can make me believe one race is more violent than another. Especially when we look back at the history if this country.

The problem is police patrol and spend more time in urban areas so of course there appears to be more violent crimes committed but Blacks.

This isn't true at all. White commit just as many violent acts and actually commit more due to being a larger segment of the population.

and yet, cops still feel more threatened by an unarmed Black man than a white guy who killed 2 people and was chewing the face off of one of the victims. That white guy was taken alive.
If your argument was that blacks are poorer on the whole than whites and, therefore, more likely to commit crime, then you would have a pretty solid case. But no matter how you cut the numbers, blacks commit more violent crime than whites, per capita. That's why black neighborhoods are patrolled more and people, including other blacks, see them as a bigger threat

If we're looking for real solutions, it doesn't help at all to ignore the obvious

That said, we do have a problem with scared and/or trigger happy cops

Old 09-21-2016, 10:22 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
I think it's a really complex issue that requires more study than I'm capable (or able). If the NRA and gun lobby would let the CDC study gun related deaths, we may be able to gain more clarity on the issue, but they won't, so we can't at the moment.

One factor that I would think you could argue is that police patrol black neighborhoods FAR more often than white ones, so you wouldn't think just by proximity that would be a factor in the difference. Maybe that's what you're saying.

It's worth mentioning that race based statistics (and statistics in general) can be misleading without context and that correlation does not equal causation. Some of the facebook stats going around can be really misleading or downright lies.
There are two separate issues here: 1. Scholarly studies have shown that looking at only police shootings, no race has any greater or less chance at being involved.

2. For police interactions in general, African Americans have a greater chance per capita than any other race. This is attributed to the greater instances of violence among African Americans per capita as violent encounters take precedent when it comes to policing among nearly all departments thus the more violent an area is the more police presence there will be as a result. The more police = more chances of having an encounter with law enforcement. If violence among residents of those areas would subside, police presence would be reduced & police interactions would likewise be a falling statistic.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:29 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
If your argument was that blacks are poorer on the whole than whites and, therefore, more likely to commit crime, then you would have a pretty solid case. But no matter how you cut the numbers, blacks commit more violent crime than whites, per capita. That's why black neighborhoods are patrolled more and people, including other blacks, see them as a bigger threat

If we're looking for real solutions, it doesn't help at all to ignore the obvious

That said, we do have a problem with scared and/or trigger happy cops
no... this is just another case of distracting from the real issue.

it's not about violent crime stats its about a history of America being terrified of the angry scary Black man.

Anyone watching the news can see plenty of people of all colors committing violent crimes.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:33 AM

501 posts, read 528,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
All I can say is that I hope that stability returns to Charlotte tonight and remains that way as the last thing we need is more civil unrest. Now if the unrest does continue as I expect it to I would hope that the Governor would place the North Carolina National Guard on standby as a precaution.
I think that I will finally take advantage of my conceal permit. If all holders carried their weapons, we would all be safer, especially veterans. But, I wish this whole thing would go away. The trouble maker on the national news this morning being so hateful and racist was from an ethnic Islamic organization. Too bad this is all taking place when we need to get it together. I agree that the National Guard needs to become involved if this crap continues.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:37 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times
The common thread is most of these shootings is that the individual fails to follow directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte