Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 07:51 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
An innocent man was murdered by a cop.
So do you still feel the same way if the video shows he had a gun and refused repeated commands to drop his weapon? Serious question.

I don't think anyone in the public knows enough to use the word "murdered" at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 09:13 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
So do you still feel the same way if the video shows he had a gun and refused repeated commands to drop his weapon? Serious question.

I don't think anyone in the public knows enough to use the word "murdered" at this point.
Let me explain to you my definition of murder. It is to take someone's life against his/her will. I doubt this man wanted to die that day, or else he would've simply killed himself.

So, your real question is "was his murder justified"? Let's assume he had a gun (cleaning it perhaps while waiting for his child). And the cop (out of uniform) yelled "drop your weapon". How was Scott supposed to know that the dude yelling at him while wearing regular clothing was a cop? And when did holding your own gun in your own car warrant being shot to death?

I do not agree with the drama that's going on right now, but the people aren't trying to hear anymore excuses. Cops are professionals; and as professionals they should be held to a higher standard. Shooting a guy to death because you thought he was an armed suspect is wrong. Destroying a city in response to that cop is wrong. Why are these two simple concepts so hard to understand? Serious question...

Old 09-22-2016, 04:49 AM

235 posts, read 307,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
An African American advocacy group calling itself T.H.U.G (True Healing Under God) just called for an economic boycott of Charlotte at a Press conference that is live on TV now. It's being carried by all the local stations.

Presumably they are telling African Americans to go and spend their money elsewhere.

Not sure what that is supposed to mean. Are Black people supposed to go buy groceries in Matthews, Pineville & Huntersville?

Any organization and its followers using the acronym "T.H.U.G." are more than welcome to leave the city of Charlotte and never come back. This is a win-win, they will feel better and Charlotte will be a much better place.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:01 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, I never heard all letters pronounced by natives. In or near K'zoo.

How did that guy get here that fast? He would have had to get the flight from Grand Rapids to Charlotte. When does it run? I think he is a professional agitator & that he was already here.

DTW has direct flights to CLT, too.

What does this guy gain by lying about whether he is from K'zoo or not?

Old 09-22-2016, 05:09 AM

888 posts, read 805,615 times
Please follow through. The shorter lines at the stores will be great.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:44 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I am originally from South Bend but lived in Buchanan, MI for a time and spent a lot of time in Three Rivers, MI which is 35 minutes from K-Zoo. I also visited and know people that are from Kalamazoo. I have also never heard it pronounced "kel mi zoo" either.
is Kalmazoo the birthplace of civilization?

why would someone lie about being from some podunk town in Mochigan?

Old 09-22-2016, 05:50 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Quote:
Let me explain to you my definition of murder. It is to take someone's life against his/her will. I doubt this man wanted to die that day, or else he would've simply killed himself.

So, your real question is "was his murder justified"? Let's assume he had a gun (cleaning it perhaps while waiting for his child). And the cop (out of uniform) yelled "drop your weapon". How was Scott supposed to know that the dude yelling at him while wearing regular clothing was a cop? And when did holding your own gun in your own car warrant being shot to death?

I do not agree with the drama that's going on right now, but the people aren't trying to hear anymore excuses. Cops are professionals; and as professionals they should be held to a higher standard. Shooting a guy to death because you thought he was an armed suspect is wrong. Destroying a city in response to that cop is wrong. Why are these two simple concepts so hard to understand? Serious question...
Just to clarify for you.
There were four police officers, not one
Three were in uniform
The one in civvies had some sort of deal across his chest that said POLICE
All four policemen were involved
The guy got out of his car, not once but twice

Your version, probably gleaned from "social media" is highly inaccurate.

You are welcome.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:28 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Just to clarify for you.
There were four police officers, not one
Three were in uniform
The one in civvies had some sort of deal across his chest that said POLICE
All four policemen were involved
The guy got out of his car, not once but twice

Your version, probably gleaned from "social media" is highly inaccurate.

You are welcome.
Let me clarify for you. I don't agree with the killing of human beings period. Cop, civilian, student or other. I'm one of those guys who choose to protect his home with a home security system; not a damn gun. I'm one of the few that would rather be shot than be the shooter. Why? Because I would rather die than TAKE someone else's life. So for me, cops and/or civilian attempts to "justify" murder are all stupid and moot.

And for the record, I actually considered being a cop at one point. However, the pay cut and the fact that I'd be required to carry a gun were the two biggest turn-offs. I could be a cop in London though without throwing away my human life values. In the UK (minus Northern Ireland) ONLY specially trained firearms officers carry guns. Most regular street cops do not.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:32 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Quote:
Let me clarify for you. I don't agree with the killing of human beings period. Cop, civilian, student or other. I'm one of those guys who choose to protect his home with a home security system; not a damn gun. I'm one of the few that would rather be shot than be the shooter. Why? Because I would rather die than TAKE someone else's life. So for me, cops and/or civilian attempts to "justify" murder are all stupid and moot.

And for the record, I actually considered being a cop at one point. However, the pay cut and the fact that I'd be required to carry a gun were the two biggest turn-offs. I could be a cop in London though without throwing away my human life values. In the UK (minus Northern Ireland) ONLY specially trained firearms officers carry guns. Most regular street cops do not.
What you believe in is fine with me. I made no comment about your beliefs, I only commented on your mis-representation of the facts.

Personally, I find your attitude to have great merit, and I respect you for it. If more of us felt that way, there is no question the world would be a better place.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:34 AM

235 posts, read 307,119 times
Quote:

As I posted elsewhere-

As with so many things these days, the facts don't support the narrative…

Several news sources are now reporting that Scott had a long criminal record including in Texas being sentenced to seven years in prison for a conviction of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Thus Scott was a convicted violent felon… his possession of the gun and ammunition was a violation of Federal and State law. If he had not violated these laws he would be alive today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte