U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 03:11 PM

1,489 posts, read 2,302,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIT77 View Post
I'm really trying to convince my boyfriend to move from Oakland to my hometown of Charlotte. Considering he's interested in joining the police force and I keep claiming how much better Charlotte is for educated Blacks(I'm Black, he's White) is compared to Oakland...this is not helping my case at all. It's gonna be a lose-lose situation for everyone involved.
My advice to your boyfriend is to avoid a career in big city law enforcement. Look at how many major metros have burned in just the last two or so years. It doesn't matter if every cop has a body camera which catches everything. The folks looking to riot and loot will just flat out claim the cops are editing videos, putting guns in people's hands, claiming the gun looks like a stick, etc.. It won't matter. The only uniform LE I would suggest any young person do is upper middle class to rich areas. Even then, with mutual aid the way it is now, your bf might have to deal with constant calls to assist whatever big city is nearby with repeated protesting and clashing with citizens who are upset, at their wits end, etc.. Outside of that, I would highly suggest going federal when it comes to LE, but mostly I would say to avoid it all together. It just isn't worth all the hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 03:30 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,376,432 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4oEYoy7T4I

I wonder where this kid's father is.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:35 PM

10,821 posts, read 19,296,235 times
It's not changing my image of Charlotte - because it's happening everywhere, but it's changing my image of the inner city blacks that think destruction of property and injuring or killing innocent people and cops is in any way a productive method to get across whatever message they are trying to get across.

Our country may have some bad cops, but it has a LOT more uncivilized urban ghetto culture that are just looking for an excuse to commit even more crimes than they already do. I feel bad for the actual protesters and civilized blacks out there watching these thugs trash what is probably a needed protest by actual law abiding citizens .

Old 09-22-2016, 03:47 PM

3,322 posts, read 4,526,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

For Charlotte to move to the next level they will have to open up and become more thing to more people. A conservative agenda will destroy the marketability of the area.
Next level? And what would that be?

You see, it's not up to a city to be everything to everyone. It's up to the people to make it so. Due to diversity and inclusion, it actually is impossible to be everything to everyone. There are things people will like and dislike about Charlotte. Guess what? The same thing holds true for every other place in this country. The city doesn't owe anything to anyone. People have been flocking from the liberal bastions of NY, NJ, CT and MA to North Carolina, a conservative state. May not be a terrible agenda after all.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:47 PM

29,522 posts, read 26,987,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
White flight is already starting to happen.
This is happening in most liberal-run big cities with large black populations -- Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, etc, etc
Uh, no. Most of the "liberal-run big cities with large black populations" are gentrifying. Whites have been moving back to the city in large numbers in recent years. Cities like Atlanta and DC have been at the forefront of this trend.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:02 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,465,873 times
North Carolina law states testicles and penises don't belong in a girl's bathroom/locker room/ shower

Liberals disagree.

You tell me who the crazies really are !

Old 09-22-2016, 04:27 PM

120 posts, read 78,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
My advice to your boyfriend is to avoid a career in big city law enforcement. Look at how many major metros have burned in just the last two or so years. It doesn't matter if every cop has a body camera which catches everything. The folks looking to riot and loot will just flat out claim the cops are editing videos, putting guns in people's hands, claiming the gun looks like a stick, etc.. It won't matter. The only uniform LE I would suggest any young person do is upper middle class to rich areas. Even then, with mutual aid the way it is now, your bf might have to deal with constant calls to assist whatever big city is nearby with repeated protesting and clashing with citizens who are upset, at their wits end, etc.. Outside of that, I would highly suggest going federal when it comes to LE, but mostly I would say to avoid it all together. It just isn't worth all the hassle.
He's been a transit cop and does armed security now. During the Oakland/Berkeley protests, he's faced violent crowds. He's dealt with liars, social media bias, accusations of being a racists when approaching trespassers/shoplifters, etc. He's tried to apprehend people and have other customers cheer if the thief escapes.

Now, I'm in no way saying that's identical to being a police officer. He's a vet with a high school diploma, and college would be a waste of time and money. He wants to be able make a good living and he thinks that's his best option so I support him.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:35 PM

520 posts, read 296,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIT77 View Post
...He's a vet with a high school diploma, and college would be a waste of time and money. He wants to be able make a good living and he thinks that's his best option so I support him.
This is only true if he takes a useless degree (with no good job potential) in college, but a technical degree will give the chance of making a lot more than an officer and at a much less risk.
A good electrician/plummer or HVAC technician could run his own business off a truck and make twice as much.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:25 PM

3,389 posts, read 4,755,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
I think you guys need to be more worried about North Carolina than Charlotte. I would never step foot in North Carolina and have never been there and will never be there. After the new laws and rioting I would say North Carolina as a whole is on my do not go to list. You guys have lost a lot including the NBA all-star game and many other events and musicians refusing to come to North Carolina and you will continue losing a lot until you wake up.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think you are allowing the media to taint your perception of NC. While there are controversial laws in NC, tell me a state that does not have a few? California? New York? Illinois? Do yourself a favor, go see for yourself and get beyond the media hype.

Last edited by goolsbyjazz; 09-22-2016 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Content

Old 09-22-2016, 07:03 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,376,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
North Carolina law states testicles and penises don't belong in a girl's bathroom/locker room/ shower

Liberals disagree.

You tell me who the crazies really are !

You obviously have no idea what HB2 is about. Congrats on slurping the GOP fear propaganda and missing the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or