Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 05:11 PM

74 posts, read 67,455 times

Advertisements

African American cop shoots dangerous, erratic behaviored gun wielding criminal who is also African American.

Of course Black Lives Matter, as do the lives of all races. But in this case, whose life matters more?

Here a law-abiding public servant, who has made a career out of protecting and serving the citizens of Charlotte, is put in a situation of life or death against a gun-wielding criminal of same race.

Both lives were in danger, both lives were black. Which one of those two lives held slightly more value than the other?

I think there's value in a new movement called "Law Abiding Citizens' Lives Get Precedent In My Life Or Yours Scenarios".

Old 09-23-2016, 05:34 PM

311 posts, read 172,469 times
Excellent point and, as I heard one minority person ask earlier this week: "If black lives matter,why are blacks egging each other on to challenge police at every turn?"

And, this news flash just in: NO police shooting is a BLM "case" . . . there is no such thing as a "BLM case". Or, a BLM anything

BLM is a hate movement credited by a mainstream media which profits tremendously from any stories mentioning them.

And, of course, as the world now knows from events in Charlotte, and from the lips of the thug protestors themselves:

BLM = OLT ("we Out Like the Taliban!")

Not likely a whole lotta good is going to come out of Charlotte after the dust settles but, we all do owe events for the "outing" once and for all of an organization is nothing more than hate and hysteria mongers.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:37 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwalla View Post
African American cop shoots dangerous, erratic behaviored gun wielding criminal who is also African American.

Of course Black Lives Matter, as do the lives of all races. But in this case, whose life matters more?

Here a law-abiding public servant, who has made a career out of protecting and serving the citizens of Charlotte, is put in a situation of life or death against a gun-wielding criminal of same race.

Both lives were in danger, both lives were black. Which one of those two lives held slightly more value than the other?

I think there's value in a new movement called "Law Abiding Citizens' Lives Get Precedent In My Life Or Yours Scenarios".

It just doesn't roll off the tongue:

LACLGPIMLOY

Old 09-23-2016, 05:58 PM

311 posts, read 172,469 times
How 'bout all supposedly "disenfranchised" persons start working this into their rap, commentaries and just plain life lessons in their community (if, after all, it really does, "take a village" (barf)

A.L.A.

Act Like Adults

Old 09-23-2016, 07:56 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
Really sad story. There is a good chance he was unable to follow directions due to his brain injury. I know some feel like celebrating as more details confirm that the fear of police may have been substantiated, but I hope for a day when situations like this don't end in an unnecessary killing. The principle point of BLM is that in similar scenarios where a suspect is white, they are less likely to be killed. I'm not sure why advocating for saving lives should be controversial. This man did not deserve to die. The flippant dismissal of his family's perspective and their documented response is disgusting and evidence of a lack of empathy for black brothers and sisters. I'm a white pasty dude with plenty of pride and support for our police officers and their good will but think we can still do better. CIT training for mental illness has proved effective. Let's keep improving and try to reduce unnecessary deaths going forward.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Really sad story. There is a good chance he was unable to follow directions due to his brain injury. I know some feel like celebrating as more details confirm that the fear of police may have been substantiated, but I hope for a day when situations like this don't end in an unnecessary killing. The principle point of BLM is that in similar scenarios where a suspect is white, they are less likely to be killed. I'm not sure why advocating for saving lives should be controversial. This man did not deserve to die. The flippant dismissal of his family's perspective and their documented response is disgusting and evidence of a lack of empathy for black brothers and sisters. I'm a white pasty dude with plenty of pride and support for our police officers and their good will but think we can still do better. CIT training for mental illness has proved effective. Let's keep improving and try to reduce unnecessary deaths going forward.
I agree it's a sad story, but the bottom line is mentally ill people should not be carrying firearms.

"The principle point of BLM is that in similar scenarios where a suspect is white, they are less likely to be killed". It depends on what you mean by scenario, there have been plenty of recent cases where white or other non-black perps were shot down because they refused to drop the gun. They receive less media attention because in those cases, racism is not used as a lever to gain media attention, yet they do get shot in situations where they endanger the lives of police officers. The issue is that they endanger the lives of police officers less often. Crime is higher among blacks, as is the carrying of illegal firearms and the willingness to discharge them in unsafe urban areas; this much is irrefutable. A defiant disposition toward police also results in a much shorter fuse. In these situations time and again we see more aggressive behavior, and unnecessary escalations of the situation in cases where all they need to do is follow the officers orders. By law, and by citizens of any particular city THEY ARE REQUIRED to follow the officers command. Entitling themselves to not do so is what's getting them killed. Someone would have to tell me why that syndrome is more prevalent in one race versus another. Let's talk race specific sense of entitlement maybe? This attitude of brazen defiance seems to be an exclusive of the black community (if you don't know what I'm talking about, watch the video of the protests in Charlotte as young black men "demonstrate" by sticking their chest out and walking by the police as it to dare them to make a move). Their behavior in many cases is such that it's impossible to tell whether they are doing it out of arrogance or if it's truly an act of suicide by cop.

It's a sad story, but there are much sadder stories, like the direct homicide that occurred in Charleston when the white officer shot an unarmed man in the back. That type of scenario infuriates me. That is a true BLM case that deserves media attention. The man who died should have never broken the law by fleeing, but the actions of the officer were equally inappropriate.

This story is NOTHING like that. A black officer did EXACTLY what he should have done in the situation. He protected his own, black life. Black lives matter.

If someone wants to tell me that the REAL motive behind BLM is "All Police Are Evil", then that's fine, but call it what it is. Don't bring race into it because the hypocrisy is glaring on this particular case.

BLM is starting to become a symbol for "as a race, we want a free pass to commit any crime we want without consequence, including endangering the lives of the very public servants that protect the citizens from our criminal actions".

Last edited by jiwalla; 09-23-2016 at 08:35 PM..

Old 09-23-2016, 08:56 PM

I don't think the race of the officer has any bearing in the relevance of the advocacy of black lives matter.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
I don't think the race of the officer has any bearing in the relevance of the advocacy of black lives matter.
It's irrelevant to you that both men were black and therefore both their lives mattered equally? With the caveat that one was a law abiding public servant and the other a criminal?

Old 09-23-2016, 09:16 PM

158 posts, read 98,846 times
This guy had it coming if not by cop by another thug. He spent 7 years in prison in 2003 for shooting someone among other violent felonies on his record. I honestly believe he has probably hurt and killed many more people than what he was arrested for. I'm not sad over this incident. Tulsa is a different story, but this scott guy was the scum of the earth and thankfully this officer who killed him was not hurt himself and gets to go back to his family. Some people may think this is incensitive but I'm tired of these cops getting the blame for just doing their job. What they have to deal with on a daily basis 99% of people would not wear their shoes.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwalla View Post
It's irrelevant to you that both men were black and therefore both their lives mattered equally? With the caveat that one was a law abiding public servant and the other a criminal?
The race of the officer doesn't have any bearing on the relevance of increased fear of black suspects and subsequent increase in unnecessary killings. Black suspects are more likely to be killed by police of all colors than white suspects when controlling for per capita arrest rates. There is an implicit fear of black people that is perpetuated by the media/training/popular culture that needs to be addressed.

When Scotts wife cries out that her husband is not going to shoot and has a brain injury, BLM would say the police are less likely to deescalate the situation with a black suspect than they would otherwise. It has nothing to do with the race of the officer and everything to do with the disparate treatment of black suspects vs non black suspects. It's not as simple as saying "well if he would have only followed directions" as
There are plenty of examples of suspects not following directions that don't end up dead as a result. The question is whether more suspects in hostile scenarios are killed based on their race...currently the statistics would say that it is an implicit (hidden) bias. Unfortunately even getting people to acknowledge that point is a struggle. BLM is not about white people hating black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte