Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 01:01 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
And you know what? I don't think this is right. This is NOT the way it is in other developed nations. This is a problem in the US. .
Yes it is.

Dear, if you point a gun at anyone, let alone the police, then expect to get shot. A telling a suspect to "drop it" is de-escalation.

The fault here isn't with the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 01:41 PM

198 posts, read 261,950 times
Watch the video. When Mr Scott is shot he turns in the direction of the shooter. Rewind and keep eyes on detective in red when Mr Scott is shot he lowers his weapon and reaches for something inside his vest before raising his weapon and approaching Mr. Scott after he has fallen. He is the first to reach Mr Scott. He stoops and puts his hand under Mr Scott leg and then moves way from Body of Mr. Scott. Dectetive in white comes from area from which shots came from as evidenced by Mr Scott reaction. Detective in White is in control he is the next to reach Mr. Scott. He clears the weapon by sliding pistol under Mr Scott to officer n Red who controls the evidence. The black officer the shooter is the last to reach the scene he comes from the rear of the parked van. If he shot Mr. Scott then he ran from front of van to rear of van before entering scene or either he shot him in the back.
I am sure that these actions will be explained to the coming DOJ investigators by the officers involved

Old 09-25-2016, 02:38 PM

501 posts, read 529,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crider View Post
Watch the video.
I am sure that these actions will be explained to the coming DOJ investigators by the officers involved
Yes, and by someone that's professionally trained and knows what he/she/the is/are doing, not someone guessing and imagining.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:36 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
You obviously have nobody in your family in law enforcement.
Wrong. I do. He retired after 30 years and is a private investigator now working mainly on murder investigations (I asked him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
What do you know about "developed nations?" I would say, not much. Great Britain has recently started handing out weapons to cops as their civil manners were turning to crap with the influx of immigrants and racial issues. The French cops don't screw around. If you were familiar with them, you would know that you don't mess with them. If you have been to Germany, you would see that in airports, i.e. Frankfort, you would think they are a military state. Good for them. Most other "developed" countries in Europe have been homogeneous and basically crime free. That is all changing and their problems are becoming more and more like ours.
If anyone cares to do some research into real numbers instead of just spouting opinion, they do have numbers on fatal police shootings in all these countries. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...gs-us-database and http://www.inquest.org.uk/statistics...lice-shootings . We're up to 793 people killed by police in the US this year. England and Wales combined average 2 people shot by police a year. So far in 2016 2 people have been killed by police. In 2015 it was 3. In 2014 it was 1. In 2013 it was 0.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ther-countries
Quote:
Fact: In the first 24 days of 2015, police in the US fatally shot more people than police did in England and Wales, combined, over the past 24 years.
Police kill nearly 100 times more people in the US than they do in Germany. In 2015 10 (ten) people were killed in Germany by police. https://www.thelocal.de/20160922/nea...-10-in-germany

990 people were killed by police in the US in 2015. That's too many.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:48 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yes it is.

Dear, if you point a gun at anyone, let alone the police, then expect to get shot. A telling a suspect to "drop it" is de-escalation.

The fault here isn't with the police.
First off, you may not call me "dear".

Secondly, I disagree and from the details that have been released so far I do think that the fault that man is dead is entirely the police officers'. I feel sure this could have been handled better and he didn't have to die.

Check out what they have done in Las Vegas which certainly has its share of crime:

How one of the deadliest police forces in America stopped shooting people

Police 'de-escalation' training

And in Dallas:
The Dallas Police Department has been a model for reducing officer-involved shootings.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:15 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:

Secondly, I disagree and from the details that have been released so far I do think that the fault that man is dead is entirely the police officers'. I feel sure this could have been handled better and he didn't have to die.
You can't be serious.

A convicted felon who is illegally carrying a gun, allegidly pulls it from an ankle holster and marches to police who are yelling at him to drop it, and he doesn't. I'm with the cops who thought their lives and possibly those of the bystanders were in danger.

You are simply making no sense.

BREAKING: Ankle Holster Clearly Visible As Police Release Keith Scott Shooting Video – Bearing Arms

Old 09-26-2016, 05:38 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Wrong. I do. He retired after 30 years and is a private investigator now working mainly on murder investigations (I asked him).

If anyone cares to do some research into real numbers instead of just spouting opinion, they do have numbers on fatal police shootings in all these countries. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...gs-us-database and http://www.inquest.org.uk/statistics...lice-shootings . We're up to 793 people killed by police in the US this year. England and Wales combined average 2 people shot by police a year. So far in 2016 2 people have been killed by police. In 2015 it was 3. In 2014 it was 1. In 2013 it was 0.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ther-countries

Police kill nearly 100 times more people in the US than they do in Germany. In 2015 10 (ten) people were killed in Germany by police. https://www.thelocal.de/20160922/nea...-10-in-germany

990 people were killed by police in the US in 2015. That's too many.

You realize you can drive a car from the very north of Scotland to the very south of England in about 8 hrs, right? They have also all but banned personal firearm ownership.

Germany has 240 MILLION fewer people than the US.

Comparison to tiny European countries with vastly different cultures/laws, especially surrounding firearms, is apples to footballs.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:43 AM

74 posts, read 67,541 times
Quote:

Oh dear, I love how you completely ignored his wife saying "Keith, don't do it!" multiple times, remaining in denial even though the audio that was produced by the wife herself proved you wrong. I love how you insist that gun holster that is clearly visible on his ankle was carrying his innocent Amazon kindle, where he was studying the e-Bible on his way to turn in that marijuana he found on the street to the authorities.

What a sheltered bubble you live in. Wake up dear.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:16 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,069,352 times
In case it's helpful for any of you stuck on the gun...the 4th Cir Ct of App recently found that carrying a firearm in an open-carry state does not create reasonable suspicion thus doesn't provide grounds for a Terry stop.

Here, read this:

FEDagent - News for federal agents and 1811

The relevant part is here:

it is undisputed that under the laws of North Carolina, which permit its residents to openly carry firearms . . . Troupe’s gun was legally possessed and displayed. The Government contends that because other laws prevent convicted felons from possessing guns, the officers could not know whether Troupe was lawfully in possession of the gun until they performed a records check. . . . We are not persuaded. Being a felon in possession of a firearm is not the default status. More importantly, where a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention. Permitting such a justification would eviscerate Fourth Amendment protections for lawfully armed individuals in those states.”

Old 09-26-2016, 01:19 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,069,352 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKGZnB41_e4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte