U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 08:31 AM

8,723 posts, read 7,925,436 times

Advertisements

Yep, moved here in early '07 and love it.

The city is great, not too big, not too small. Plenty of stuff to do, but you don't have to plan your day around driving across town.

This is now home - we have zero plans of relocating, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 06:13 PM

3,420 posts, read 1,464,807 times
I think most of the time, it's what you make it. No place is for everyone. But I do think it's a trend that so many in our society have the "Grass is Greener" fever and develop unrealistic expectations wherever they go. Or make unfair comparisons. Or they expect the new city to miraculously be some life changing experience for them; a utopia of some sort. It's many things that it could be. Just my observation. But I love the Charlotte area and it greatly "inspires" (whatever that means in this case, lol). Hope they find the right place for hem someday.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:24 AM

7,631 posts, read 4,496,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I think most of the time, it's what you make it. No place is for everyone. But I do think it's a trend that so many in our society have the "Grass is Greener" fever and develop unrealistic expectations wherever they go. Or make unfair comparisons. Or they expect the new city to miraculously be some life changing experience for them; a utopia of some sort. It's many things that it could be. Just my observation. But I love the Charlotte area and it greatly "inspires" (whatever that means in this case, lol). Hope they find the right place for hem someday.
In all fairness, you don't live in Charlotte, or even a Charlotte suburb. You live in a satellite city that happens to be included in the MSA.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:47 PM

686 posts, read 1,414,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I have a few loved ones in Charlotte, and they all seem to be lukewarm on the city. They have decent careers and live in nice neighborhoods, but none seem inspired by the city, It's just a place to live and work, for them. To be clear, they don't DISLIKE it. These are professionals with agency and mobility, so they could leave, but inertia seems to be keeping them there.

I want it to be clear, that I'm not trolling here. I'm just wondering if the people I know are anomalies.
What exactly do you mean by 'inspired'?
Gastonia is becoming a suburb of Charlotte, just as Huntersville, Davidson, Rock Hill, etc are.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:29 PM

3,420 posts, read 1,464,807 times
Quote:
In all fairness, you don't live in Charlotte, or even a Charlotte suburb. You live in a satellite city that happens to be included in the MSA.
Dead wrong, my friend. I've studied metros and their rankings since 1985. I hate to disappoint you, but the mere definition of a suburb ("........ or a separate residential community within commuting distance of a city") makes Gastonia, Rock Hill, Huntersville, Concord, Mooresville, etc., etc. etc. suburbs. There's a lot more detail that I could go into in these definitions and the practical applications of the reasons that formulate the definitions, but I'm not going to argue with you about it. The bickering back and forth that I see on here between various posters that go on and on, with this lust for "being right", gets a bit silly. I'm assuming that was the motivation for your post, given that it seemed to come out of nowhere.....and a misguided post at that. It's the only thing I can figure. I'm dropping the mic on this one, lol.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:23 PM

21,856 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
What makes you think that Gastonia is not a suburb of Charlotte?

Old 09-30-2016, 05:09 AM

7,631 posts, read 4,496,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
What makes you think that Gastonia is not a suburb of Charlotte?
Because it's an industrial town that developed on its own. I'm not interested someone living in Newark's take on NYC or someone in Naperville's take on Chicago.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:38 PM

21,856 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
Because it's an industrial town that developed on its own. I'm not interested someone living in Newark's take on NYC or someone in Naperville's take on Chicago.
OK, then apparently you don't want to hear from people in Concord, Monroe, or Rock Hill, either. You should have been upfront about that.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:07 PM

8,723 posts, read 7,925,436 times
Quote:

Where do you live? I'm betting it's further away from CLT than Gastonia?

Old 09-30-2016, 01:55 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,383,447 times
Towns that were started separately can become suburbs through growth. There was a time when many of Charlotte's neighborhoods were considered suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or