U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 12:52 PM

7,670 posts, read 4,518,996 times

Advertisements

I have a few loved ones in Charlotte, and they all seem to be lukewarm on the city. They have decent careers and live in nice neighborhoods, but none seem inspired by the city, It's just a place to live and work, for them. To be clear, they don't DISLIKE it. These are professionals with agency and mobility, so they could leave, but inertia seems to be keeping them there.

I want it to be clear, that I'm not trolling here. I'm just wondering if the people I know are anomalies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 01:12 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,936,275 times
I prefer it over Los Angeles where I was born and raised. I would move back to the DC area if I could afford it.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:17 PM

66 posts, read 53,455 times
We very much prefer Charlotte over Buffalo or Rochester.
Cleaner, greener, better weather, lower taxes, (less) corrupt government.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:56 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,204,000 times
I like it down here over the DC area. We moved back briefly for 18 months for a job back in 2010 and I was happy when we moved back to the Charlotte area.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:26 PM

1,004 posts, read 572,745 times
Agree with Grey_Mama. Lower taxes, weather, etc, But you are also within a city yet a few hours either way from beach/mountains.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:38 PM

18 posts, read 15,533 times
Too many rude,obnoxious people from the northeast moving down here.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:20 PM

376 posts, read 224,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Mama View Post
We very much prefer Charlotte over Buffalo or Rochester. Cleaner, greener, better weather, lower taxes, (less) corrupt government.
Now, the first two factors set a very high standard for comparison.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:20 PM
NDL

3,150 posts, read 3,621,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Mama View Post
We very much prefer Charlotte over Buffalo or Rochester.
Cleaner, greener, better weather, lower taxes, (less) corrupt government.
Good post .

As to the O.P.'s question: Charlotte is not a real City. At one point Charlotte *was* a real City, when it had an identity all it's own. That's since been erased, and replaced with generic retail, lots of chain restaurants, etc.

Compared to NYC's suburbs, be they in NY, NJ, or CT, I prefer Charlotte.

Compared to Philadelphia's suburbs, be they in PA or NJ, I prefer Charlotte.

But the City of Charlotte cannot compare to Manhattan or Philly. And the respect I pay the latter cities has nothing to do with their size. Instead, it's owed to the fact that they're cities whose place has been earned, not given.

So...When I compare things on a town to town, or county by county, basis, the Metrolina area wins hands down.

But when I compare cities?

Charlotte doesn't have greasy spoons like New York or Philly. No bakeries, nor delicatessens, etc. Nor are Charlotte's museums noteworthy (though I haven't been to the Harvey Gantt museum, which is on my list of to-do's).

Sadly, many urban planners think that clever neighborhood names and decorative signage will grow Charlotte's stature, but that remains to be seen.

I live outside of Charlotte, where I enjoy a good quality of life. Great people; nice parks and greenways, clean air, reasonable cost of living, good government, etc.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:19 PM

7,182 posts, read 11,204,939 times
I agree with your relatives. We're only here for the paycheck. Once we retire (still years away), we are outta' here.

Like them, I do not dislike this area. It just doesn't do anything for us as our previous locations did. We plan to retire further south, although DW and I disagree on how much further. But we are both willing to move when it's time.

One of our kids went to App State up in Boone and has chosen to settle there. It will be disappointing to move away from them, but at least we'll be close enough to visit on weekends, etc. once we move.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:19 AM

270 posts, read 348,041 times
Been here 3 months (from Colorado)....it is ok. I liked it a lot more prior to the events last week.

We plan to stay here 10-15 years for the paycheck...then retire to the beach or mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or