U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:20 AM

673 posts, read 2,434,018 times

Advertisements

I am extending our back patio. It should be pretty large when done. Additionally, I am building an outdoor fireplace, BBQ, and some seating walls with columns and lights. I was wondering what the return was on a project like this in the Charlotte area. Is this desirable if and when we sell, and will we get back the money we are putting into it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 08:29 AM

893 posts, read 439,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
I am extending our back patio. It should be pretty large when done. Additionally, I am building an outdoor fireplace, BBQ, and some seating walls with columns and lights. I was wondering what the return was on a project like this in the Charlotte area. Is this desirable if and when we sell, and will we get back the money we are putting into it?
That is the number one thing to have now is the outdoor fireplace. Can't see that you would go wrong on an improvement like that.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:40 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,814,156 times
I wouldn't think so either. In the near future after moving in and getting settled, I'm thinking of doing the same thing (bbq, small frig,sink) and also adding in a hot tub!!

Old 02-23-2008, 12:47 PM

889 posts, read 2,845,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
I bet a real estate agent or someone who appraises homes can answer that better.But i dont know if its so much as a return on your investment or just very appealing to someone who is in the market to buy.
I just got my home appraised and of course its lower than i expected for now. But, we spend close to $12k on upgrades,( appl.lighting,more tile in wet areas etc.) Plus a basement for another $15k.My neighbors have non of this, they appraise at the same as ours, even though i put so much more into mine. So i often wonder????

Old 02-23-2008, 01:46 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,161,479 times
Depends on what people are willing to pay for, I have a pool 14 X 28 and yet when I put my house up for sale, not everyone was interested in a pool. I say put in what YOU will enjoy, don't worry about what someone else might or might not like, for all you know if you sell, next people could come in and ripe it all out. A case in point, my neighbor loved her hot tub, lived in it every day, she sold the house and within a week, the hottub was gone.
If you will enjoy all the things you want to put in, enjoy them.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:09 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,146,222 times
You have additional square footage and theirs still appraised as the same as yours? That doesn't quite seem right.

We are currently finishing our 950 sq. ft. basement. It will be heated sq. ft.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
I bet a real estate agent or someone who appraises homes can answer that better.But i dont know if its so much as a return on your investment or just very appealing to someone who is in the market to buy.
I just got my home appraised and of course its lower than i expected for now. But, we spend close to $12k on upgrades,( appl.lighting,more tile in wet areas etc.) Plus a basement for another $15k.My neighbors have non of this, they appraise at the same as ours, even though i put so much more into mine. So i often wonder????

Old 02-23-2008, 03:22 PM

111 posts, read 124,032 times
It will be beautiful and you will love it! If it adds value, great. If not, you will still enjoy it while you are there.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:37 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,543,090 times
We built a deck over our brick patio many years ago, so that we wouldn't have to walk down steps carrying plates. That's not my point here, however. What is importanti s that we use our deck from April until November eating at least one meal a day on it. It's lovely when we have guests as we decorate it with plants and attractive furniture. I'd say go for it. It's one of the best parts of our house.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:50 PM

126 posts, read 531,427 times
Are you for hire?

Old 02-25-2008, 07:26 AM

195 posts, read 481,914 times
This link may help answer your question...
2007 Cost vs. Value Report
It's about what is appealing to buyers.

You can't really put a dollar amount on something like this, but rather look at it as if you and your neighbor had the same identical home and you have a deck, but neighbor doesn't, yours will most likely sell sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte