Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 06:19 PM

5,456 posts, read 6,049,852 times

Advertisements

Several restaurants in Charlotte divide tips between all working that night.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:19 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Are you suggesting that waiters don't make enough money?

Good servers make a ton of money. Bad ones don't. Seems like the tipping system is great for everyone...except bad servers.
The current tipping system sucks for everyone...except restaurant owners.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:51 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewkranian View Post
I am fine with having customers that leave lousy tips if a gratuity can be charged to cover my staff who are always professional and treat everyone equally kind. It is what it is. Call it what you want. I don't care about race, I care about people working their a$$es off for peanuts. It is all about money with me. By the way, education has nothing to do with tips. Some of the best tippers are construction workers and blue collar types. A construction workers convention would be very welcomed in my restaurant. I don't know why Aristotle made this a racial issue. That wasn't the intent. I was talking about green, not black.
Love it! And I know blue collar workers who exceed $100,000 a year. Yet, some with advanced degrees never see $100,000. Education does not buy class or how to treat others. Some people need to get over the entitlement.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:45 PM

607 posts, read 554,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
That isn't how it works. "Good" and "bad" are subjective first of all, and secondly, there are many other factors that can determine a server's pay regardless of the service provided.
Good and bad are somewhat subjective. Charm, knowledge of the menu, suggested sales, conflict resolution etc are just a few of the qualities of a good waiter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
The current tipping system sucks for everyone...except restaurant owners.
It doesn't affect the restaurant owners much if at all. To change it to hourly would likely hurt all servers, but particularly the good ones.

If the average person tips 20% on a $100 bill...if they chose to pay hourly and not tips that $100 worth of food would simply cost $120 with the tip being priced in.

So instead of making $160 in tips in a given 8hr evening (un-taxed of course) the server would be paid $20/hr which would then be taxed and their take-away would be 20-ish percent lower. And again, the superlative servers would take a bigger hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Several restaurants in Charlotte divide tips between all working that night.
It pretty much guarantees that over time the best servers will walk away, and the worst servers will stay.

It's no different than a sales job that pays 100% commission vs base pay + 20% commission.

The best salespeople want full commission, the ****ty ones want the base pay. If you choose the latter pay model, the good salespeople will leave and you'll be stuck with the bad ones.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:11 AM

Quote:
It doesn't affect the restaurant owners much if at all. To change it to hourly would likely hurt all servers, but particularly the good ones.
Currently, restaurant owners have offloaded the salaries of a large percentage of their workforce directly to their customers. The owners are getting a free ride.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Currently, restaurant owners have offloaded the salaries of a large percentage of their workforce directly to their customers. The owners are getting a free ride.
No...not even close to understanding what's going on here.

From my previous post:

Quote:

If the average person tips 20% on a $100 bill...if they chose to pay hourly and not tips that $100 worth of food would simply cost $120 with the tip being priced in.

So instead of making $160 in tips in a given 8hr evening (un-taxed of course) the server would be paid $20/hr which would then be taxed and their take-away would be 20-ish percent lower. And again, the superlative servers would take a bigger hit.
The above example is revenue neutral for owners. The only difference is whether the customer pays the wait staff directly, or the owners charge more in lieu of tips and pass on that increase to the wait staff.

The only change is that it empowers the customer to rate/reward the waitstaff as they see fit. Some will make more (good ones) and some will make less (bad ones).

Old 01-28-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
No...not even close to understanding what's going on here.

From my previous post:

The above example is revenue neutral for owners. The only difference is whether the customer pays the wait staff directly, or the owners charge more in lieu of tips and pass on that increase to the wait staff.

The only change is that it empowers the customer to rate/reward the waitstaff as they see fit. Some will make more (good ones) and some will make less (bad ones).
I'm referencing the current system. My original post that you replied to was: "The current tipping system sucks for everyone...except restaurant owners." RIF

Old 01-28-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I'm referencing the current system. My original post that you replied to was: "The current tipping system sucks for everyone...except restaurant owners." RIF
I've been comparing the current system to the most commonly advanced alternative, and the current system is better in every way for everyone except bad servers.

Is there a third option you propose?

Old 01-28-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I've been comparing the current system to the most commonly advanced alternative, and the current system is better in every way for everyone except bad servers.

Is there a third option you propose?
I'd prefer to see servers paid a real wage, with service included in the restaurant prices, and the option to leave a small tip if justified.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I'd prefer to see servers paid a real wage, with service included in the restaurant prices, and the option to leave a small tip if justified.
You, personally, have the choice to pay your waiter "a real wage" , "a small tip" or any other amount you deem fit.

If you take your family to a nice dinner you are welcome to calculate any wage you think is appropriate and include that on your bill on the line that says "Tip."

You seem to be having a hard time with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte