Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 04:02 PM

126 posts, read 579,352 times

Advertisements

Why is it so difficult to find this information?

In other states, we've always obtained a business license from the county or city we were in. I've been searcing Gaston County's website and am getting no where.

Where does one obtain a business license? This will be an at home mail order/online custom apparel business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 07:11 PM

24 posts, read 73,239 times
I believe all you need is a "privilege license" - not my area of expertise. But if thats all you need , you can get it here : Application for State Privilege License

Old 02-24-2008, 07:06 PM

38 posts, read 113,326 times
Default Business Information

You can find very valuable information at the following address:
forms | North Carolina Department of Commerce

Also, you may want to join a group that promotes and supports business development and leadership. Many aspiring business owners do not realize that getting connected early in your start-ups is essential for success. Not only are you in line with individuals that have valuable information, but you gain very powerful knowledge to not only start your business, but maintain and sustain it.
Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-24-2008 at 07:18 PM..

Old 02-24-2008, 07:10 PM

38 posts, read 113,326 times
Default Business License

Also, please note that in North Carolina there are various levels of business formations and all businesses, even home-based business in N.C. are required to register with local Register of Deeds.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:12 AM

76 posts, read 158,834 times
When my home-based business was based in CLT, I did not have to register w/ Registrar of Deeds. (As far as I know, that's for Real Property.. ?) I was required to get a business license and a home occupancy permit. Depends on your type of organization. If it's a sole proprietor, that may be sufficient. In any case, normally, business licenses are a city function. Not sure if you're located in Gastonia, but whichever city, that would be the best place to contact first. It may be that your city does not require a business license (not all do). Good luck!

Old 01-31-2011, 06:07 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
You will not need a State License but a Gaston County license.
You will need to bring with you the TIN for your company along with
proof of your filings with the NC Secretary of State.

You can search this site for the form you will need and where in downtown
Gastonia to go and obtain the license.

Gaston County Web

Old 01-31-2011, 12:13 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkmac View Post
When my home-based business was based in CLT, I did not have to register w/ Registrar of Deeds. (As far as I know, that's for Real Property.. ?) I was required to get a business license and a home occupancy permit. Depends on your type of organization. If it's a sole proprietor, that may be sufficient. In any case, normally, business licenses are a city function. Not sure if you're located in Gastonia, but whichever city, that would be the best place to contact first. It may be that your city does not require a business license (not all do). Good luck!
Here's the deal. If you are operating your business in your name then you don't have to register it with the register of deeds. If you are using another name then you do. And in Mecklenburg it isn't an occupancy permit as much as an actual rezoning for your house. It gets confusing because you go to the ROD to register the name, but zoning and license are two other departments. They are trying to make it smarter since some stuff is county and some city.

As far as names goes, it's basically telling the world and in fact reserving for your exclusive use a DBA. In North Carolina this is called an Assumed Name and the department of commerce links earlier in the thread are very helpful.

So, if your name is John Smith but you are opening a pet boutique called "The Cat's Meow" then you have to register that name. Of course before you can register it you have to go through a process to make sure no one else has done so before you. This has to be done at the register of deeds office for every county you have a physical location.

A corporation doesn't have to do this if they are doing business in the corporation name but the way to generally tell is the name on the shingle you hang out compared to the legal name of the owner.

Usually this is caught by the bank. If you want to open a bank account in a business name they will want to see the articles of incorporation if it's a corp name, the assumed name certificate if it's a DBA or they won't care if it's in your personal name.

Assumed Name certificates come in three flavors, have to be signed by the owners and notarized before filing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: