Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 10:37 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,068,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Asking for a link to one study is kinda ridiculous. For every study that claims integration raises test scores for poor and minority kids, there is another that shows it doesn't and MANY that show the effect is very,very minimal and that any effects in elementary school are not retained into middle and high school.

There are thousands of studies out there. Which ones should be believed? Only those that support your views? Based on studies, there is no one right answer. That reality is supported by years of educational philosophies and machinations netting very little in the way of increased academic achievement.
All studies are not created equal. There are ways to determine which ones are rigorous and follow rules of data science where others are manipulative in nature and designed to prove a predetermined point valid. This issue of desegregation, while still controversial, isn't as simple as choosing a side and finding skewed studies to support an opinion.

I was seeking some sort of justification for this generalization:

Quote:
At the conclusion, it was summarized that busing students to different schools made no difference in the socialization or performance of the students involved. Also determined was that the "maintenance" factors (facilities, general appearance, etc) made absolutely no difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 11:17 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I'm really late to this party unless I commented in the first couple pages months ago, but I am a firm believer in school zoning based on economic (used to be racial) diversity. I am a product of those schools as is my husband. Back in the day he was bused from Myers Park to West Charlotte (note that this was not the other way around where poor kids are bused to rich neighborhoods) and he is a proud Lion alum. He had a great experience with great highly qualified teachers (PhD holders) and went on to an excellent college. He's still in touch with some of his friends from high school, too.

The studies I have seen and heard about do show an improvement in test scores in economically diverse schools, but more importantly to me is that the kids are in a diverse environment, not only racially diverse, but also economically diverse.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:31 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
All studies are not created equal. There are ways to determine which ones are rigorous and follow rules of data science where others are manipulative in nature and designed to prove a predetermined point valid. This issue of desegregation, while still controversial, isn't as simple as choosing a side and finding skewed studies to support an opinion.

I was seeking some sort of justification for this generalization:

No kidding, but even scientific peer-reviewed studies disagree on whether integration is an effective means to improve the academic performance of poor and/or minority students. That's why desegregation as a means to improve performance is controversial and why there are strong arguments both for and against. In the absence of definitive proof of efficacy, people tend to rely on opinion whether their own or that of others. They use statements like "I feel" or "I think" without realizing that their views and/or beliefs don't make their statements true.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:28 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
If you're interested in reading a decent article about school integration, this is a pretty good one that covered a large amount of students over 30 years.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...wFNgOw&cad=rja

Old 08-12-2018, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 791 times
Desegregation and resegregation...politicians are still trying to engineer people's lives like the 70s? Luckily we live in a democracy where people can move wherever they please, and they are choosing Union County and SC. Wonder why.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:38 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfArgyle View Post
Desegregation and resegregation...politicians are still trying to engineer people's lives like the 70s? Luckily we live in a democracy where people can move wherever they please, and they are choosing Union County and SC. Wonder why.
Many are choosing to live in those counties because housing is less expensive. Then they have to deal with an insane commute. It's the lack of affordable housing in the city that is engineering where people choose to live.
Do you think people zoned for poor schools can just pick up and move? Many would like to, but can't afford to.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:11 AM

607 posts, read 554,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Many are choosing to live in those counties because housing is less expensive. Then they have to deal with an insane commute. It's the lack of affordable housing in the city that is engineering where people choose to live.
Do you think people zoned for poor schools can just pick up and move? Many would like to, but can't afford to.
Moving isn't terribly expensive...unless you have a lot of possessions. Sell that stuff locally so you don't have to move with it...now you are less poor also.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:31 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,068,819 times
Quote:

HA! Go back a bit further to learn about some more egregious "engineering".

I'm not sure you have a very broad perspective and are likely not seeking one with comments like this one.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:34 AM

573 posts, read 548,415 times
Quote:
B
Absolutely true. People move to places like Union County and S.C. border-towns for two reasons mostly, less crime and better schools. If one wants cheaper housing, they need to go way out of the Charlotte area. The only thing that involuntary busing did for schools has been bringing down the quality of education. The poorer, unmotivated students bused in took up time disrupting classes, putting forth little effort, and poor attendance. I'm not saying that these types of students weren't already there, but the influx of thousands was significant. On the other hand, those motivated students with goals and high aspirations were slowed down as a result. Desegregation did not improve either academic or social environmental factors.

When I was in graduate school, I had the pleasure of being part of a national study investigating the results of desegregation busing in Charlotte, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, San Francisco, Kansas City, Boston, Dallas and other large U.S. cities. After two decades, nothing improved in regards to the above factors in addition to academics. It was a loss of billions of dollars. Another find was that students that were bused to better schools did no better in high tech schools fully equipped with the latest computers, etc, than in any other school. It was found that as long as student have comfortable classrooms with the basic needs, they did as well as when bused to high performing schools.

Bottom line, it doesn't matter where one lives or the school that one attends. What matters are students, parents involvement in the school and their child, environmental safety, and a simple, basic mean like a peanut-butter sandwich and apple or equivalent.

It makes sense that sending our children to schools where children perform at a higher level is priority. That is the biggest reason that so many newcomers move to Concord, Ft. Mill, Davidson, and other nearby places. If zones have poorer performing schools, the parent(s) should wake up and get involved. It isn't about race, it is about motivation or the lack of it. Unfortunately, it often "looks" like race is the factor.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:02 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Desegregation and resegregation...politicians are still trying to engineer people's lives like the 70s?
Actually the vast majority of the "engineering" happened up until the 1970's. Not sure if that fact escaped you or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte