U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-05-2016, 06:32 PM
 
1,985 posts, read 1,386,830 times
Reputation: 1407

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChillax View Post
I've been lurking and unable to post anything because this is so ridiculous.

Racist or not, people have voted with their feet and keep choosing where and how to live. Charter schools are booming, the teachers unions are losing power, and we will never ever come close to forced integration again

Add in a few days of rioting, a year of BLM, and you can figure the fence sitters once sympathetic to vague notions of guilt and helping out are 100% keeping their kids out of harms way.

Like minded white and black people will always get along, because it happens organically. Hell, i've shunned plenty of white parents once i see them cross a line. No dfferent with any color person.


You're right that charters are popular. They are not very successful though. They use tax dollars and can self select students in many cases and don't have to provide the same services as public schools.

I agree that the rioting did no favors for many trying to make sense of the outrage.

To increase the number of "like minded" white and black people we need to have more integration in schools and society in general. We're not that different, but it's easy to assume as much if you never get out and make friends that live elsewhere or don't look like you. It's hard to hate when you know good people in the group you're generalizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-05-2016, 06:53 PM
 
221 posts, read 105,394 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
. . . I can't justify taking that from my child to benefit someone else's.
YOU . . . RASCIST, you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2016, 07:28 PM
 
1,985 posts, read 1,386,830 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakefront16 View Post
YOU . . . RASCIST, you!

No one says this thought is racist. You are not a victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2016, 07:49 PM
 
56,335 posts, read 80,579,507 times
Reputation: 12439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's because, with few exceptions, that's the tipping point where White flight is triggered in predominantly White neighborhoods. Too many Black and Brown faces show up--doesn't matter if they are Ivy League-educated, successful entrepreneurs, or high school dropouts--and so do the "For Sale" signs.
Or if they actually have a higher median household income, as I'm finding out more and more on C-D that a place could be viewed as going "down hill", but then you find out that the Black median household income is actually within the range of middle class and/or the Black graduation rate is above the state and all time national high of 81%(2013). That is why it is important to post such information, instead of going by word of mouth on here in many cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2016, 08:08 PM
 
830 posts, read 1,316,097 times
Reputation: 608
Let's not pretend that busing doesn't already exist, even in "neighborhood" schools. Those lines are gerrymandered so badly that even the legislature in Raleigh would blush, so that certain areas/interests are kept together or separated. Kids are bussed past closer schools to "neighborhood" schools that are much further away all the time - CMS and Union County both.

In parts of the city, you can realistically create neighborhood schools that are diverse from a racial and social-economic standpoint. In others, it would be a lot more difficult. No easy answers for sure. I do think that the magnet plan put forth by the CMS board has some interesting ideas, but I'm not sure that magnet preference for those in lower performing schools will do anything but pull the "best" (as defined by having parents that make the magnet effort) students away from neighborhood schools and further accelerate the death spiral of those schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2016, 10:15 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
6,772 posts, read 11,875,632 times
Reputation: 6513
Well, it seems apparent that this forum has been overrun by Stormfront posters.

Racism just abounds everywhere! Unchecked! I am disgusted.

Idk why some of you continue to argue with people who don't even acknowledge that white privilege exists. If there is no recognition of white privilage, there IS no honest discussion.

And, yeah, I'm white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2016, 08:49 AM
 
501 posts, read 340,387 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChillax View Post
I've been lurking and unable to post anything because this is so ridiculous.

Racist or not, people have voted with their feet and keep choosing where and how to live. Charter schools are booming, the teachers unions are losing power, and we will never ever come close to forced integration again

Add in a few days of rioting, a year of BLM, and you can figure the fence sitters once sympathetic to vague notions of guilt and helping out are 100% keeping their kids out of harms way.

Like minded white and black people will always get along, because it happens organically. Hell, i've shunned plenty of white parents once i see them cross a line. No dfferent with any color person.
Sensible posting. It will be funny reading the responses of some that have these great ideas and theories that have been repeated for decades with no improvement. I hate to say it about my own race, but we sure have some stupid, blind people that just don't get it. All they can do is pass blame and make excuses for events like the race riots uptown. TO them, it was a peace march with a some white innocent victims of beatings and other violence due to their race. Any responsible parent will now be very concerned about the makeup of their child's school. It is all about safety and people feel safer with their own and we will likely see more of that in the future.

What is sad is that Charlotte has escaped riots and such unrest and here and all because some career criminal is shot for being stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2016, 09:42 AM
 
29,777 posts, read 27,202,592 times
Reputation: 18317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
Sensible posting. It will be funny reading the responses of some that have these great ideas and theories that have been repeated for decades with no improvement. I hate to say it about my own race, but we sure have some stupid, blind people that just don't get it. All they can do is pass blame and make excuses for events like the race riots uptown. TO them, it was a peace march with a some white innocent victims of beatings and other violence due to their race. Any responsible parent will now be very concerned about the makeup of their child's school. It is all about safety and people feel safer with their own and we will likely see more of that in the future.

What is sad is that Charlotte has escaped riots and such unrest and here and all because some career criminal is shot for being stupid.
What "career criminal" was shot in Charlotte???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2016, 10:23 AM
 
501 posts, read 340,387 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Well, it seems apparent that this forum has been overrun by Stormfront posters.

Racism just abounds everywhere! Unchecked! I am disgusted.

Idk why some of you continue to argue with people who don't even acknowledge that white privilege exists. If there is no recognition of white privilage, there IS no honest discussion.

And, yeah, I'm white.

Please explain white privilege. I just want to know what exactly it is and what parts are not available to other races. And finally, how does a white person apply for it since so many are born poor? Thank you for any enlightenment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2016, 10:25 AM
 
501 posts, read 340,387 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What "career criminal" was shot in Charlotte???
The particular one for which I am currently alluding is Scott. His violent criminal record goes back over 20 years. If there were a retirement plan for criminals, he would be able to retire after twenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:57 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top