U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2016, 11:34 AM
 
501 posts, read 339,350 times
Reputation: 416

Advertisements

[quote=Essequamvideri;45721334]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post


Do you have trouble reading? I repeatedly and consistently affirm that effective parenting is a huge driving factor in success at school. I said personal responsibility is indeed a criteria for any form of success. Read my posts.

What I can't agree with is a post that says that race has nothing to do with it. The "color thing" is what this entire article was referring to. It's not up for debate. If you can't acknowledge the role race plays in society, don't post dismissively on threads related to segregation and desegregation in Charlotte and expect not be called out. I can't keep up with all of the stupid things you post, but I certainly will flag the ones on threads I start.

I don't know what red carpet treatment you're referring to. No one is advocating for entitlements based on race.

I think you may have difficulty thinking critically. Find a march? Blind liberalism? You don't like me? Quit ruining my threads if you don't want to hear backlash to ignorant hogwash. Go start your own topic.
Seems like you are always explaining the same old nonsensical notions about society. You are not a Sociology 101 book. Give up. Bottom line, I like good people of any race. I hate arseholes. I also hate it when whites are blamed for disruptions in schools, poor grades, crime and all bad things that happen in black communities for which liberal whites are also pointing their nasty fingers. I am tired of people that make stupid excuses and explain remedies. This has been done for 50 years without improvement. If any race wants to wipe themselves out, I'm fine with it. Just don't tell me that I am responsible because of the insane notion of "white privilege" or some other idiotic reason.

I want to live with people I can relate to. I live with nationalities from all over the world. We get along fine. They do what they are supposed to do as good humans and Americans. They are welcomed in my world. Thugs, arrogant racist as we witnessed in the riots, and moronic liberals (BLM morons) are not part of society with which I wish to live beside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2016, 12:37 PM
 
1,985 posts, read 1,383,006 times
Reputation: 1407
[quote=Lassielad;45731149]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post

Seems like you are always explaining the same old nonsensical notions about society. You are not a Sociology 101 book. Give up. Bottom line, I like good people of any race. I hate arseholes. I also hate it when whites are blamed for disruptions in schools, poor grades, crime and all bad things that happen in black communities for which liberal whites are also pointing their nasty fingers. I am tired of people that make stupid excuses and explain remedies. This has been done for 50 years without improvement. If any race wants to wipe themselves out, I'm fine with it. Just don't tell me that I am responsible because of the insane notion of "white privilege" or some other idiotic reason.

I want to live with people I can relate to. I live with nationalities from all over the world. We get along fine. They do what they are supposed to do as good humans and Americans. They are welcomed in my world. Thugs, arrogant racist as we witnessed in the riots, and moronic liberals (BLM morons) are not part of society with which I wish to live beside.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-v1TTUyhM


You ignored the quoted post and shared this rambling rant. Start your own thread on why you can't handle critical thinking, whether you think I'm a book or not, or who you want to live with. I don't care. It has nothing to do with the desegregation and re-segregation of Charlotte schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 08:16 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
167 posts, read 151,976 times
Reputation: 290
The Native1,
I agree completely. I went to HS in NJ graduating in 1970, this was just before busing. I went into the Army and came back two years later. My sister was still in HS and it was a complete battle ground, assaults occurring everyday, graffiti on walls. It was completely unrecognizable in just those two years. It is all about parental responsibility. I believe when these ideas were thought up, it was with the assumption that all students had the same goal to learn and giving the poorer communities a chance to learn in a more affluent atmosphere would greatly assist in their education. No one took into account the lack of participation of the parents and it has only gotten worse over the years. The search to improve oneself has to come from the home and unfortunately these kids parents have taught their children by word and example, that all they have to do is sit back, do as they please, and the state will take care of their needs. As was previously mentioned, the rate of detention for black kids far exceeded the rate of white kids. This can be viewed as the teachers are picking on the black kids, or the truth of the matter black kids have a much higher rate of disruptive behavior in schools. This is a fact, not based on race at all and until that is recognized as the truth of the matter, and black parents take responsibility, this trend will never change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 09:46 AM
 
1,985 posts, read 1,383,006 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdsharkey View Post
The Native1,
I agree completely. I went to HS in NJ graduating in 1970, this was just before busing. I went into the Army and came back two years later. My sister was still in HS and it was a complete battle ground, assaults occurring everyday, graffiti on walls. It was completely unrecognizable in just those two years. It is all about parental responsibility. I believe when these ideas were thought up, it was with the assumption that all students had the same goal to learn and giving the poorer communities a chance to learn in a more affluent atmosphere would greatly assist in their education. No one took into account the lack of participation of the parents and it has only gotten worse over the years. The search to improve oneself has to come from the home and unfortunately these kids parents have taught their children by word and example, that all they have to do is sit back, do as they please, and the state will take care of their needs. As was previously mentioned, the rate of detention for black kids far exceeded the rate of white kids. This can be viewed as the teachers are picking on the black kids, or the truth of the matter black kids have a much higher rate of disruptive behavior in schools. This is a fact, not based on race at all and until that is recognized as the truth of the matter, and black parents take responsibility, this trend will never change.

Charlotte's integration wasn't nearly as violent as other communities in the Northeast.

The difference between neglectful parents in a poor community, and ones in an affluent one, is that the students have guardrails and less distractions, more supervision, more accountability, more resources in the affluent areas. The amount of resource taken for granted in leisure time and excess of resource is extraordinary, but not often appreciated. Of course there are stories of failure and just living in a rich neighborhood doesn't mean you are destined for greatness and shouldn't be used to diminish the great accomplishments of many that live there, but to discount the obstacles facing students in the poorest, most segregated schools in the county and 100% attributable to poor parenting and a lack of personal responsibility is wrong. Many of these kids are worried about their next meal, avoiding violence, finding a place to sleep/fulfilling basic needs.

Even assuming you are right that there are only bad parents and irresponsible people in these struggling neighborhoods, how do they solve their problems? What do you have to offer in terms of solutions other than shaming and brow beating? Telling the black community that they aren't good parents doesn't seem very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 10:48 AM
 
29,685 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Reputation: 18223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdsharkey View Post
The Native1,
I agree completely. I went to HS in NJ graduating in 1970, this was just before busing. I went into the Army and came back two years later. My sister was still in HS and it was a complete battle ground, assaults occurring everyday, graffiti on walls. It was completely unrecognizable in just those two years. It is all about parental responsibility. I believe when these ideas were thought up, it was with the assumption that all students had the same goal to learn and giving the poorer communities a chance to learn in a more affluent atmosphere would greatly assist in their education. No one took into account the lack of participation of the parents and it has only gotten worse over the years. The search to improve oneself has to come from the home and unfortunately these kids parents have taught their children by word and example, that all they have to do is sit back, do as they please, and the state will take care of their needs.
Yeah I seriously doubt that. More often than not, many of these parents don't have the time to be as involved with their child's education due to working long hours, sometimes at more than one job. The statistics actually show that low-income, minority parents have high rates of involvement with the education of their children. However, many of them lack the resources to provide educational assistance beyond school-based activities, which often cost money (though not always).

Quote:
As was previously mentioned, the rate of detention for black kids far exceeded the rate of white kids. This can be viewed as the teachers are picking on the black kids, or the truth of the matter black kids have a much higher rate of disruptive behavior in schools. This is a fact, not based on race at all and until that is recognized as the truth of the matter, and black parents take responsibility, this trend will never change.
Actually it's not:

Quote:
To reach these conclusions, the group relied on research studies, as well as data from the U.S. Education Department. “Several studies indicate … that racial disparities are not sufficiently explained by the theory that black or other minority students are simply misbehaving more,” the collaborative wrote.
Yes, Schools Do Discriminate Against Students Of Color -- Reports | Huffington Post

Quote:
Fifteen percent of students in the report's data pool were African-American — but they accounted for 44 percent of students suspended more than once. The discrepancy was "not explained by more frequent or more serious misbehavior by students of color," the investigators wrote.

One district, for example, booted more black students than white students to the alternative school, even though both groups had committed a similar number of offenses. Investigators also found policies that weren't intended to be discriminatory, but ended up having a disproportionate impact on minorities.
Yes, U.S. schools still discipline students based on their race

Quote:
Contrary to the prevailing assumption that African American boys are just getting “what they deserve” when they are disciplined, research shows that these boys do not “act out” in the classroom any more than their White peers. For example, in a study conducted by the Indiana Education Policy Center, researchers conclude that:

"Although discriminant analysis suggests that disproportionate rates of office referral and suspension for boys are due to increased rates of misbehavior, no support was found for the hypothesis that African American students act out more than other students. Rather, African American students appear to be referred to the office for less serious and more subjective reasons. Coupled with extensive and highly consistent prior data, these results argue that disproportionate representation of African Americans in office referrals, suspension and expulsion is evidence of a pervasive and systematic bias that may well be inherent in the use of exclusionary discipline (Skiba, 2000)".
Racial Disproportionality in School Discipline: Implicit Bias is Heavily Implicated

Now I'm not pretending as though there are no issues with parental involvement or misbehavior at schools that serve low-income/minority students because there are, and those aren't the only issues of concern. But much of the "prevailing wisdom" about those things is simply off-base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 08:43 AM
 
501 posts, read 339,350 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdsharkey View Post
The Native1,
I agree completely. I went to HS in NJ graduating in 1970, this was just before busing. I went into the Army and came back two years later. My sister was still in HS and it was a complete battle ground, assaults occurring everyday, graffiti on walls. It was completely unrecognizable in just those two years. It is all about parental responsibility. I believe when these ideas were thought up, it was with the assumption that all students had the same goal to learn and giving the poorer communities a chance to learn in a more affluent atmosphere would greatly assist in their education. No one took into account the lack of participation of the parents and it has only gotten worse over the years. The search to improve oneself has to come from the home and unfortunately these kids parents have taught their children by word and example, that all they have to do is sit back, do as they please, and the state will take care of their needs. As was previously mentioned, the rate of detention for black kids far exceeded the rate of white kids. This can be viewed as the teachers are picking on the black kids, or the truth of the matter black kids have a much higher rate of disruptive behavior in schools. This is a fact, not based on race at all and until that is recognized as the truth of the matter, and black parents take responsibility, this trend will never change.
You are absolutely correct. Unfortunately, you will have those in denial and oblivious to reality denying your comments. It is what it is and liberal jibberish by those with blinders won't help the situation. In their world, truth is a liability and those there is no room in their world for those that tell it like it is. But, we are on the same page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 09:00 AM
 
501 posts, read 339,350 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah I seriously doubt that. More often than not, many of these parents don't have the time to be as involved with their child's education due to working long hours, sometimes at more than one job. The statistics actually show that low-income, minority parents have high rates of involvement with the education of their children. However, many of them lack the resources to provide educational assistance beyond school-based activities, which often cost money (though not always).


You obviously have never been to an inner-city school or a school with a high minority population. The children of parents that work are not the problem. The problem is with the children that live with the single mother that does no work or as little as possible and the father is gone making babies elsewhere.
Actually it's not:



Yes, Schools Do Discriminate Against Students Of Color -- Reports | Huffington Post

A major myth. The only discrimination is the extra assistance and programs available for the "underprivileged." The government makes disability payments for students that are listed as "special needs." When I taught, the main concern of mothers of disruptive/dangerous students was that they maintain their status as "disabled" so their extra check wouldn't stop. Your Huffington Post report is left wing garbage. There is "not" discrimination agains "students of color." They are given every advantage possible.


Yes, U.S. schools still discipline students based on their race

The students that disrupt classes are disciplined (not enough). There is no quota on disciplining students. If you had a clue, you would realize that if you are teaching a diverse class, chances are the most problems would be from a certain sector. To say that discipline is based on race would only be said by a moron.

Racial Disproportionality in School Discipline: Implicit Bias is Heavily Implicated

If 80 percent of crime is committed by a specific group, it is likely that around 80 percent of those punished will belong to that group. Only a dimwit doesn't understand that. That is not bias. That is fairness. You can't put a quota on bad behavior.

Now I'm not pretending as though there are no issues with parental involvement or misbehavior at schools that serve low-income/minority students because there are, and those aren't the only issues of concern. But much of the "prevailing wisdom" about those things is simply off-base.
Sorry dude but you need to come back to earth and volunteer in a inner-city school and get an education. Funny thing, many blacks that live in working families and have a father at home agree with me and know that those that make excuses and finger pointing will never make the situation better. Only good caring parenting and discipline will improve things. Stop the liberal, political BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 12:01 PM
 
29,685 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Reputation: 18223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
Sorry dude but you need to come back to earth and volunteer in a inner-city school and get an education. Funny thing, many blacks that live in working families and have a father at home agree with me and know that those that make excuses and finger pointing will never make the situation better. Only good caring parenting and discipline will improve things. Stop the liberal, political BS.
Sir or ma'am, I've been Black all my life. I attended majority Black elementary and middle schools (my high school was 50/50 Black and White) and was born and raised in a two-parent household (and my parents are still married today) as did the majority of my classmates so cut the crap about "you must have never had experience in an inner city school" and "the 'good Blacks' agree with me." We don't all live in hell with 'nothing to lose,' despite what some ignoramus you may support might say...not by a long shot.

I posted actual statistics that absolutely prove there is racial discrimination when it comes to discipline in schools. All you have is emotional rhetoric without a shred of data to support any of your assertions. As a matter of fact, you didn't even read the articles I posted because you actually thought the Huffington Post authored that one study. They merely reported the findings of the study that was conducted by the Discipline Disparities Research-to-Practice Collaborative, which included 26 experts from fields such as advocacy, policy, social science, and law. They utilized several research studies as well as DOE data to arrive at their conclusions. I know folks like you don't think much of science and research though...you'll always find a way to discount objective, verifiable data coming from experts that doesn't fit into your "Make America Great Again" ideology, which is quite sad.

It's absolutely mind-boggling to me that people refuse to believe that discrimination still exists in American society when we're only two generations or so removed from an era when Black people didn't even have basic protections under the law afforded to other citizens. You think LBJ just snapped his fingers and it all went away? Surely things are better now compared to the Civil Rights era, but there's still work to be done. Sorry if that truth bothers you, even though nobody said every White person is personally responsible for the current state of affairs. I don't know why you think that's the case.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 10-08-2016 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 01:48 PM
 
1,985 posts, read 1,383,006 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sir or ma'am, I've been Black all my life. I attended majority Black elementary and middle schools (my high school was 50/50 Black and White) and was born and raised in a two-parent household (and my parents are still married today) as did the majority of my classmates so cut the crap about "you must have never had experience in an inner city school" and "the 'good Blacks' agree with me." We don't all live in hell with 'nothing to lose,' despite what some ignoramus you may support might say...not by a long shot.

I posted actual statistics that absolutely prove there is racial discrimination when it comes to discipline in schools. All you have is emotional rhetoric without a shred of data to support any of your assertions. As a matter of fact, you didn't even read the articles I posted because you actually thought the Huffington Post authored that one study. They merely reported the findings of the study that was conducted by the Discipline Disparities Research-to-Practice Collaborative, which included 26 experts from fields such as advocacy, policy, social science, and law. They utilized several research studies as well as DOE data to arrive at their conclusions. I know folks like you don't think much of science and research though...you'll always find a way to discount objective, verifiable data coming from experts that doesn't fit into your "Make America Great Again" ideology, which is quite sad.

It's absolutely mind-boggling to me that people refuse to believe that discrimination still exists in American society when we're only two generations or so removed from an era when Black people didn't even have basic protections under the law afforded to other citizens. You think LBJ just snapped his fingers and it all went away? Surely things are better now compared to the Civil Rights era, but there's still work to be done. Sorry if that truth bothers you, even though nobody said every White person is personally responsible for the current state of affairs. I don't know why you think that's the case.
This post is awesome. Thank you for saying what I couldn't articulate very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 02:37 PM
 
501 posts, read 339,350 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by essequamvideri View Post
this post is awesome. Thank you for saying what i couldn't articulate very well.
lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:27 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top