Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 01:30 PM

501 posts, read 528,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
It's scary that you taught. I am not at all surprised you had difficulty motivating challenging students that didn't look like you.
You are annoying. Go away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 01:38 PM

501 posts, read 528,918 times
[quote=Essequamvideri;45719814]Let it be known that I don't think racism is an appropriate 100% scapegoat for failing majority black schools, but to dismiss it as a non-factor is incredibly ignorant and out of touch.

You perpetually seem to deny that the fault is withing the community and at home. Are you from Mars? Why is failure to achieve not a racism factor with Vietnamese, Chinese, Asians in common, and others that didn't get the red carpet treatment when they arrived nor did many speak English. It is a matter of motivation and vision. You need to find a march somewhere and do something you might be familiar with. You still live in the early 1960s. Your blind liberalism is passe. I don't like you. I wish you would put me on ignore.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:39 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
You are annoying. Go away!
The annoying "hat" fits all of us. That's why we are here. Let's stay and share thoughts.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:55 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,068,412 times
[quote=Lassielad;45721154]
Quote:
Let it be known that I don't think racism is an appropriate 100% scapegoat for failing majority black schools, but to dismiss it as a non-factor is incredibly ignorant and out of touch.

You perpetually seem to deny that the fault is withing the community and at home. Are you from Mars? Why is failure to achieve not a racism factor with Vietnamese, Chinese, Asians in common, and others that didn't get the red carpet treatment when they arrived nor did many speak English. It is a matter of motivation and vision. You need to find a march somewhere and do something you might be familiar with. You still live in the early 1960s. Your blind liberalism is passe. I don't like you. I wish you would put me on ignore.

Do you have trouble reading? I repeatedly and consistently affirm that effective parenting is a huge driving factor in success at school. I said personal responsibility is indeed a criteria for any form of success. Read my posts.

What I can't agree with is a post that says that race has nothing to do with it. The "color thing" is what this entire article was referring to. It's not up for debate. If you can't acknowledge the role race plays in society, don't post dismissively on threads related to segregation and desegregation in Charlotte and expect not be called out. I can't keep up with all of the stupid things you post, but I certainly will flag the ones on threads I start.

I don't know what red carpet treatment you're referring to. No one is advocating for entitlements based on race.

I think you may have difficulty thinking critically. Find a march? Blind liberalism? You don't like me? Quit ruining my threads if you don't want to hear backlash to ignorant hogwash. Go start your own topic.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I think before we talk about achievement and test scores, we need to consider the holistic impact on children's lives. They will be the ones loosing it on a bus. That's time for sports, clubs, hobbies, chores and play. As a parent there must be a significant tangible benefit to MY child in order for me to subject my child to bussing. Otherwise, as long as I'm free to move, I will.

By the numbers - lets assume 180 days being bussed @ 45 minutes extra each way. Multiply that times 13 years of school and you end up with 3,510 hours. What would you give to a have 146 days of your childhood back? I can't justify taking that from my child to benefit someone else's.

While I did have a good experience being bused across town from a nicer neighborhood to help desegregate a school, I don't think this solution will happen again. It's interesting you assume the white kids are the ones being bused. It doesn't necessarily have to be that way.

If YOUR CHILD was offered what you thought to be a superior education that meant a drive, I would be willing to bet many dedicated parents would jump at the option to drive 45 minutes because education is that important. Many private school students make long commutes every day. How do you think they would answer the time save questions you pose above? Still, we aren't going to use buses to desegregate Charlotte schools again from what I can see.

I think the changes are more likely to happen in the short term through selective magnet programs, closing schools and in the long term through increasing affordable housing in more affluent parts of Charlotte.

The tough part about optional choice/magnet programs is that the students that participate do naturally decided to attend a school that is an "upgrade" from their home assignment. The outcome for a lower performing school is a drain from the PTA/support/student population that only further exacerbates the problem - what was a low performing school with a mix of kids with negligent parents and involved ones, becomes a school with only kids from negligent homes or a few that may not have been aware of the shift.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:28 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
You perpetually seem to deny that the fault is withing the community and at home. Are you from Mars? Why is failure to achieve not a racism factor with Vietnamese, Chinese, Asians in common, and others that didn't get the red carpet treatment when they arrived nor did many speak English.
Here we go with that 'model minority' myth again.

Quote:
t's true that 42% of all Asian American adults have at least a college degree, the highest of all the major racial/ethnic groups. It's also common for Asian American students to have the highest test scores and/or GPAs within any given high school or college cohort. But what usually gets left out is the fact that not all Asian Americans are the same. For every Chinese American or South Asian who has a college degree, the same number of Southeast Asians are still struggling to adapt to their lives in the U.S.

For example, Vietnamese Americans only have a college degree attainment rate of 16%, only about one-quarter the rate for other Asian American ethnic groups. Further, Laotians, Cambodians, and Khmer only have rates around 5%. The cultural stereotype that "all Asians are smart" puts a tremendous amount of pressure on many Asian Americans. Many, particularly Southeast Asians, are not able to conform to this unrealistic expectation and in fact, have the highest high school dropout rates in the country. Again, not all Asian Americans are the same.
School of Education at Johns Hopkins University-A Closer Look at Asian Americans and Education

Old 10-05-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
While I did have a good experience being bused across town from a nicer neighborhood to help desegregate a school, I don't think this solution will happen again. It's interesting you assume the white kids are the ones being bused. It doesn't necessarily have to be that way.

If YOUR CHILD was offered what you thought to be a superior education that meant a drive, I would be willing to bet many dedicated parents would jump at the option to drive 45 minutes because education is that important. Many private school students make long commutes every day. How do you think they would answer the time save questions you pose above? Still, we aren't going to use buses to desegregate Charlotte schools again from what I can see.

I think the changes are more likely to happen in the short term through selective magnet programs, closing schools and in the long term through increasing affordable housing in more affluent parts of Charlotte.

The tough part about optional choice/magnet programs is that the students that participate do naturally decided to attend a school that is an "upgrade" from their home assignment. The outcome for a lower performing school is a drain from the PTA/support/student population that only further exacerbates the problem - what was a low performing school with a mix of kids with negligent parents and involved ones, becomes a school with only kids from negligent homes or a few that may not have been aware of the shift.
That part is debatable if it takes government intervention to accomplish it.

The evolution of government assistance from those receiving it:

APPRECIATED, EXPECTED, DEMANDED

Old 10-05-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
That part is debatable if it takes government intervention to accomplish it.

The evolution of government assistance from those receiving it:

APPRECIATED, EXPECTED, DEMANDED

I think you may have meant to say the evolution of expectations of government assistance from those receiving it. Right?

Believe me, I don't want any solution that results in more government dependency, higher costs, lower education outcomes, lower property values, etc.

Our current model is resulting in government dependency and incarceration for many when they don't receive a good education and are quarantined in struggling pockets of poverty where there are limited opportunities and examples of success to follow. We need to break up these clusters to avoid a much larger problem down the road. If we choose to keep ignoring it or chalking it up to some sort of earned plight, we will see more of the same (50/50 on mobility and large swaths of the population more likely to respond in outrage).

What's the solution? So far, I've only heard about improvements in parenting. How do you do that?

People that attend college are less likely to rely on government assistance. As are dual parent homes. Improving schooling/education is a path to decreasing government dependency. Integrating schools is a proven path for improving schooling cost effectively.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I think you may have meant to say the evolution of expectations of government assistance from those receiving it. Right?

Believe me, I don't want any solution that results in more government dependency, higher costs, lower education outcomes, lower property values, etc.

Our current model is resulting in government dependency and incarceration for many when they don't receive a good education and are quarantined in struggling pockets of poverty where there are limited opportunities and examples of success to follow. We need to break up these clusters to avoid a much larger problem down the road. If we choose to keep ignoring it or chalking it up to some sort of earned plight, we will see more of the same (50/50 on mobility and large swaths of the population more likely to respond in outrage).

What's the solution? So far, I've only heard about improvements in parenting. How do you do that?

People that attend college are less likely to rely on government assistance. As are dual parent homes. Improving schooling/education is a path to decreasing government dependency. Integrating schools is a proven path for improving schooling cost effectively.
You are correct, that is absolutely what I meant. Sometimes proof reading gets me nowhere.....

Old 10-05-2016, 04:39 PM

157 posts, read 156,958 times
I've been lurking and unable to post anything because this is so ridiculous.

Racist or not, people have voted with their feet and keep choosing where and how to live. Charter schools are booming, the teachers unions are losing power, and we will never ever come close to forced integration again

Add in a few days of rioting, a year of BLM, and you can figure the fence sitters once sympathetic to vague notions of guilt and helping out are 100% keeping their kids out of harms way.

Like minded white and black people will always get along, because it happens organically. Hell, i've shunned plenty of white parents once i see them cross a line. No dfferent with any color person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte