Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 08:57 PM

80 posts, read 231,069 times

Advertisements

Any experience with either of these builders?
Centex is offering 50k in free options in one of the new communities but we like the Ryland lot locations better

Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 10:20 PM

267 posts, read 1,019,523 times
I have heard good things about both builders, however I have personal experience with Centex and I am very happy with their service as it is top notch. Where I think Ryland has the edge is flexibility of options. They will even paint the inside whatever color you want from what I hear. Also, both are very transparent during the construction process!

While no company is perfect, I think both of these companies seem pretty good across the board. There is one company I have dealt with in the past known as Keystone builders that I would never deal with again for some very key reasons. I am glad to hear they are not a consideration.

Short of this, make sure you have a good Realtor who is familiar with your local market who can also help you decide. Never deal with an online realtor who gives kickbacks/rebates. The service and advise is lacking.

At the end of the day, one neighborhood may be a better long term option than the other. Short of this, go with your heart!

Old 02-23-2008, 10:35 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,488,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtin View Post
Centex is offering 50k in free options in one of the new communities but we like the Ryland lot locations better

Any help?
Are those options only available if you go with their mortgage lenders? Sometimes that's the only way you get these deals. Be careful!

Old 02-24-2008, 05:23 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
Im dealing with Centex right now and am very happy with the way things are going. I don't mind using their lender to get my $25K in incentives. Plus they are paying all my closing costs so basically Im coming in with nothing.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:38 AM

79 posts, read 216,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtin View Post

Any help?
Most of these replies are accurate - both builders are good, but I'm sure you can find someone who has had a bad experience with each. Personally, I live in a Centex home in Waxhaw and have been very happy with them, although some of my neighbors may have different opinions. What neighborhood are you looking in? ALso, good points about the builders lender. Centex (CTX mortgage) ALWAYS offers lots of perceived incentives, to the buyer and the broker, both. But always, always, always have a second or third lender look at the deal and compare.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Are those options only available if you go with their mortgage lenders? Sometimes that's the only way you get these deals. Be careful!
No, they are offering 50k for nothing and then an additional 5k if you use CTX mortgage which goes towards closing costs

Old 02-24-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHOMEBOY View Post
Most of these replies are accurate - both builders are good, but I'm sure you can find someone who has had a bad experience with each. Personally, I live in a Centex home in Waxhaw and have been very happy with them, although some of my neighbors may have different opinions. What neighborhood are you looking in? ALso, good points about the builders lender. Centex (CTX mortgage) ALWAYS offers lots of perceived incentives, to the buyer and the broker, both. But always, always, always have a second or third lender look at the deal and compare.

We are looking in Millbridge and Edenmoor neighborhoods in Waxhaw

Old 02-24-2008, 09:23 AM

429 posts, read 730,215 times
It is only in your best interest as a buyer to have other (2-3) outside lenders give you their quotes. Just as NCHOMEBOY said, to compare and make sure you're are truly getting the best deal. While incentives are wonderful, there are many more things to considier. Centex is running their BIG extravaganza right now and I expect there are great deals in every neighborhood, but keep in mind, this is your home, your future and hopefully, you will be living there a long time. Make sure that when you drive up the driveway, you get the feeling "I am home". Good Luck with your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHOMEBOY View Post

Old 02-24-2008, 06:10 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,167,413 times
I know Centex is advertising a lot of free upgrades...but there are deals to be had with many builders, even if they aren't publicly advertised -- in particular if you don't have any contingencies.

As for builders, I think both are good but PLEASE have the home inspected before you close. I am in my second Ryland home, and I have been very happy.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
I know Centex is advertising a lot of free upgrades...but there are deals to be had with many builders, even if they aren't publicly advertised -- in particular if you don't have any contingencies.

As for builders, I think both are good but PLEASE have the home inspected before you close. I am in my second Ryland home, and I have been very happy.
We have a contingency so its hard since Ryland doesnt work with out of state buyers and contigency
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte