Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 04:40 PM

928 posts, read 3,852,506 times

Advertisements

I was doing some research on lunch today and I saw that some Union County Schools have a 'year round' school description, as opposed to traditional school year. Would someone be so kind to explain this to me? I'd like to understand more about Union County schools and the year round school year.

Thanks!!!

XNYgirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 04:55 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,595 times
they go year round and have short breaks instead of a very long summer break. Some families like this..I think I would actually but kids have always been traditional. I know that in SC my friend's kid had it and she loved it..more flexibility.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:26 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,931 times
Default Union County Year-Round Calendar

Here would be a typical calendar for Union County Year-Round Schools. Instead of a long summer, there are periods of intersession (breaks where extra tutoring would be available). Working parents find this calendar easier to work with. Shiloh Elementary is a popular option.

http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/communications/pdfs/calendars/CalendarList-YR-2007-08.pdf (broken link)

Old 05-25-2007, 02:23 AM

928 posts, read 3,852,506 times
Marvin - Do your children attend these schools? I was intrigued by the year round process. Does this affect childcare arrangements, like if your kids are off while the CMS calander is in session? I know each county is different. Thanks for the info. I might be a Union County Commute before I know it.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:06 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Here would be a typical calendar for Union County Year-Round Schools. Instead of a long summer, there are periods of intersession (breaks where extra tutoring would be available). Working parents find this calendar easier to work with. Shiloh Elementary is a popular option.

http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/communications/pdfs/calendars/CalendarList-YR-2007-08.pdf (broken link)
It's still seven weeks off during the summer. I believe my children averaged eight weeks off in their traditional school.

Our situation is probably a bit different from most but, we are serviced by YR schools. I've had a difficult time adjusting, particularly because of the intersessions that made it more difficult for me to obtain suitable child care arrangements.

The interupption was awkward for me, and it may just be something one has to grow accustomed to. I often think that if I had to work the schedule I formerly had in Jersey, my life would be seriously complicated by the YR schedule. It's a lot easier for me to figure out what to do with the boys in the summer (camp, obviously) than it is for me to figure it out for two full weeks in March.

Again, I'm not knocking it but if anyone asked me about the most difficult part about our transition to Union County (NC) from Jersey, I would definitely cite the school calendar. Aside from that, I feel like we've been here forever. We're definitely home.

SL

Old 05-25-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
It's still seven weeks off during the summer. I believe my children averaged eight weeks off in their traditional school.

Our situation is probably a bit different from most but, we are serviced by YR schools. I've had a difficult time adjusting, particularly because of the intersessions that made it more difficult for me to obtain suitable child care arrangements.

The interupption was awkward for me, and it may just be something one has to grow accustomed to. I often think that if I had to work the schedule I formerly had in Jersey, my life would be seriously complicated by the YR schedule. It's a lot easier for me to figure out what to do with the boys in the summer (camp, obviously) than it is for me to figure it out for two full weeks in March.

Again, I'm not knocking it but if anyone asked me about the most difficult part about our transition to Union County (NC) from Jersey, I would definitely cite the school calendar. Aside from that, I feel like we've been here forever. We're definitely home.

SL

Saralee - Are your kids in one of the year-round schools? My kids are on the traditional calendar, so I don't have first hand knowledge, but a few of our extended family members attended Shiloh. I was thinking that there was some sort of programs that continued on during the intersessions - tutoring or extracurricular courses - probably optional. Most of these family members were also school employees, so I think it probably worked well for them. Your firsthand knowledge definitely trumps what I have heard. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:39 AM

364 posts, read 1,168,146 times
Just to clarify- not all schools in union county are Year Round. I will be working at Weddington Elementary and it has a traditional calendar. There are also several other schools that are traditional. In my job search I found that most schools were traditional in Union County, with a handful that were year round.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Saralee - Are your kids in one of the year-round schools? My kids are on the traditional calendar, so I don't have first hand knowledge, but a few of our extended family members attended Shiloh. I was thinking that there was some sort of programs that continued on during the intersessions - tutoring or extracurricular courses - probably optional. Most of these family members were also school employees, so I think it probably worked well for them. Your firsthand knowledge definitely trumps what I have heard. Thanks for sharing.
I believe some of the schools offer after-school programs to a limited number of students, and thus, child care is probably available to clients of that particular program during intersession.

Also, if someone has a child who is "behind" academically, that child is invited to attend a half-day session of tutoring during the first week of intersession. If I am not mistaken, the school selects which students to invited based on academic performance and attendance records.

SL

Old 05-25-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwally View Post
Just to clarify- not all schools in union county are Year Round. I will be working at Weddington Elementary and it has a traditional calendar. There are also several other schools that are traditional. In my job search I found that most schools were traditional in Union County, with a handful that were year round.
You are correct. Traditional calendars are the norm.

SL

Old 05-25-2007, 08:08 AM

Default Traditional vs. Year Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwally View Post
Union County Public Schools website
http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/

You are correct that most of the schools in Union County do follow the traditional schedule. In looking around on the above website at next year's calendars (2007-2008), these are the schools that will be following the year-round schedule:

Year-Round:
Benton Heights Elementary http://bhes.ucps.k12.nc.us/
Shiloh Elementary http://shes.ucps.k12.nc.us/
Monroe Middle http://mms.ucps.k12.nc.us/
Wolfe School http://wolfe.ucps.k12.nc.us/
(FYI - Wolfe School focuses on exceptional students)

Extended Year-Round - High Priority Schools:
East Elementary http://ees.ucps.k12.nc.us/
Walter Bickett Elementary http://wbes.ucps.k12.nc.us/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte