U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 08:34 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

3,188 posts, read 3,647,056 times

Advertisements

I've been on this forum for years, and I have a "feel" for many of the posters, their tastes, etc., which is why I am posting this here:

I love the ocean, and spent most of my life a mile or two (or five), from the water's edge. I am not a beach person in the Southern sense (I don't look to hang on the beach all day); I like the smell of salt water; plant life, natural features, etc., of ocean towns.

As to my interests, I like Gaston County; appreciate small town life, villages, general stores, history, farms, etc.

Would a day trip to New Bern/Oriental fit what I am looking for? If so, is there a preferred route? Any towns to watch out for, in terms of speedtraps?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 08:39 PM

45,165 posts, read 17,925,751 times
New Bern is a very nice place to visit, but I think that would be a tough day trip. It's easily a 5 hour drive from Charlotte.

If you want to want to see the beach on a day trip, I recommend the Charleston area. That's more like a 3 - 3.5 hour drive.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
New Bern is a very nice place to visit, but I think that would be a tough day trip. It's easily a 5 hour drive from Charlotte.

If you want to want to see the beach on a day trip, I recommend the Charleston area. That's more like a 3 - 3.5 hour drive.
Appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I dunno why, but I never took to Charleston. I can see why it's a popular destination, but...

Can you tell me more about New Bern? Appreciate the tip that it's a 5+ hour ride; I'll go on a weekend then .

Old 10-17-2016, 08:56 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,394,156 times
I would do a weekend trip and check out New Bern and Washington in the same trip. Have a meal at Chef and the Farmer in Kinston on the way there or home.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
I would do a weekend trip and check out New Bern and Washington in the same trip. Have a meal at Chef and the Farmer in Kinston on the way there or home.
Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Old 10-17-2016, 09:36 PM

45,165 posts, read 17,925,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I dunno why, but I never took to Charleston. I can see why it's a popular destination, but...

Can you tell me more about New Bern? Appreciate the tip that it's a 5+ hour ride; I'll go on a weekend then .
New Bern was the British capital of North Carolina. Lots of history. The Tryon Palace is worth a visit by anyone interested in NC History. Unfortunately, one gets an appreciation of how geographically large that NC is once you try to get there from CLT. I once took a trip from Elizabeth City to Myrtle Beach via the coastal roads, and it was easily a two day tip.

For a Beach visit, I recommend a stay in nearby Morehead City and/or Atlantic Beach. If you have time, take the ferry from Cedar Island to Okracoke Island. It's quite unique. You will be on an island 30+ miles out in the Atlantic ocean.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 10-17-2016 at 09:47 PM..

Old 10-17-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
New Bern was the British capital of North Carolina. Lots of history. The Tryon Palace is worth a visit by anyone interested in NC History. Unfortunately, one gets an appreciation of how geographically large that NC is once you try to get there from CLT. I once took a trip from Elizabeth City to Myrtle Beach via the coastal roads, and it was easily a two day tip.

For a Beach visit, I recommend a stay in nearby Morehead City and/or Atlantic Beach. If you have time, take the ferry from Cedar Island to Okracoke Island. It's quite unique. You will be on an island 30+ miles out in the Atlantic ocean.
Many thanks for the wonderful suggestions

Old 10-18-2016, 08:19 AM

686 posts, read 1,418,290 times
Beaufort, NC is a great little town, too. There are lots of cute little shops, great restaurants and so peaceful. You can go on a charter boat to see the wild horses and spend the day on the water.

I agree, it is not a day trip but a great weekend trip. Enoy!

Old 10-18-2016, 08:28 AM

5,887 posts, read 7,742,736 times
Southport and/or Wilmington (well both might be tough) might be doable in a day.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:33 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,438,238 times
I agree Beaufort would be better than New Bern, but is a looong way for a day trip. And Southport would make a much more feasible, and still fun and interesting, day trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte