Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:32 AM

398 posts, read 983,753 times

Advertisements

Having lived in both areas and also participating in both forums, I sense a great deal of defensive attitude with the Charlotte folks. A lot of topics are just about defending Charlotte in a thread that some troll started, or chest thumping about why its better than the north and yada yada. Not a whole lot of subjective material or discussion, imho. Why do I mention this? Because, I think this attitude is perhaps why you feel that Charlotteans find ways to make such crimes sound like the norm everywhere and so, okay in Charlotte also.

Anyways, sucks about the crime. Perhaps there is outcry, but just not making it into CD forum here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 10:02 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshinodalp View Post
Having lived in both areas and also participating in both forums, I sense a great deal of defensive attitude with the Charlotte folks. A lot of topics are just about defending Charlotte in a thread that some troll started, or chest thumping about why its better than the north and yada yada. Not a whole lot of subjective material or discussion, imho. Why do I mention this? Because, I think this attitude is perhaps why you feel that Charlotteans find ways to make such crimes sound like the norm everywhere and so, okay in Charlotte also.

Anyways, sucks about the crime. Perhaps there is outcry, but just not making it into CD forum here.
Really? I never said Charlotte is better than up north. Seems to me that the people from up north feel that way because they keep moving here.

Also, I don't think shooting crimes are the 'norm' but in this instance it sounds like two people got into a fight and one was shot. How are Charlotteans supposed to do something about that?

Old 10-21-2016, 01:03 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Whether you live in New York or Charlotte, crime only becomes notable when it occurs in areas where it's unexpected! A murder in Hidden Valley in Charlotte or in the Bedford Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn is likely to elicit yawns from respective city residents, but a rape or murder in Trump Tower or off of Ardrey Kell is headline news. Crime in poor sections of any large city is almost expected, but in wealthy areas, it's almost non-existent. It's pretty much that way all over the US! Why would anyone be surprised?

Old 10-21-2016, 08:56 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
try living in NYC and watching the news for 2 days before making these assumptions.
I have lived in both Queens and Staten Island, with close family in Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Yeah, we get it.

They even do "public outcry" better in New York... we could learn a thing or two about how New Yorkers make a fuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
NDL - can you share some statistics to support your feelings? I'm not saying you're wrong but need more detail to understand the merit.
I don't like statistics, because they can be manipulated.

Moreover, you might have one precinct that covers two entirely different areas (think Elizabeth AND Belmont. The stats from Belmont would lead someone to have very incorrect views of Elizabeth)

Old 10-21-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
He is not wrong.
NY murder rate is 3.9/100000 total crime rate: 241.3
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-New-York.html

Clt Murder rate is 5.5/100000 total crime rate: 338.6
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Carolina.html

I don't think there are many who would say we do not have a problem, but the most important question is what can we as CLT do to fix it?
You saved my bacon on that. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Can you show me the murder rate's changes over the last 30 years?

What do you see that you can measure that shows a lack of concern/outrage from Charlotte?
Again, statistics can be very misleading.

Example: areas containing Italian immigrants, and people of Italian descent, are typically very low in both property and violent crime - much like the suburbs of CLT. On the other hand, a small group of people are gangsters. From time to time there have been "wars" between factions, so statistically, homicides look high, when in reality, that crime is confined between two small factions. The level of homicides may be high, when in reality the threat to uninvolved parties is very low.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshinodalp View Post
My contribution in this regard would be anecdotal, but i've gotten opposite reactions from within, and outside, of CLT.

People outside of CLT have warned of roving gangs, etc. Their perception of crime in CLT is usually worse, sometimes much worse, than reality.

Others have an attitude of: "that's what life is like in the big City"

Here's a typical reaction from a smaller community in NYC:

https://www.google.com/#q=Karina+Vet...strict&tbm=nws

A girl was strangled while jogging. A shame indeed...

Local and regional media have been continually involved; marches throughout the community took place; new security camera's have been installed; new patrols have taken place.

Within the better neighborhoods of NYC is an intolerance of crime.

And I think the incidence of crime is more prevalent in CLT, because perpetrators think they can get away with it. Part of this has to do with a much lower population density, along with far fewer officers.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Really? I never said Charlotte is better than up north. Seems to me that the people from up north feel that way because they keep moving here.

Also, I don't think shooting crimes are the 'norm' but in this instance it sounds like two people got into a fight and one was shot. How are Charlotteans supposed to do something about that?
Part of it cannot be helped; that Charlotte has a much lower density per square mile means that criminals can more easily hide their crimes - hence the lack of a deterrent. But the other part of it has to do with Charlotte's poor police coverage.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:27 PM

I don't know how helpful these statistics will be, but here are two sources:

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ny...-island/crime/

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nc/charlotte/crime/

Old 10-21-2016, 09:34 PM

Brooklyn is much more urban than most all of Charlotte. Yet, look at the difference in property crime rates:

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ny/brooklyn/crime/

Old 10-21-2016, 10:38 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
Thanks for sharing NDL. I can't draw a conclusion from any of that.

I agree that statistics can be used to deceive, but it's simply impossible to draw meaningful conclusions in their absence. If you don't have data, you're left with personal perspectives that could be totally off base.

How do you measure respective "outrage" from the community? What are you not hearing from Charlotte that you would like to see/hear? Where are you going for your feedback? My guess is that the community near this crime is upset by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte