U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 08:04 AM

22 posts, read 56,987 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We're still trying to decide where to move hopefully by the end of April. Now my husband is concerned we're looking for two different things. So my questions are as follows.

Where are some of the most Beautiful Hilly Golf Communities in the Charlotte area, preferably private courses?

We're thinking Verdict Ridge, in Denver looks very appealing. But he's worried I'm going to feel like I'm stuck in the middle of no where. Some of our priorities are:

Must have Great Schools, Nice shopping, like groceries stores within 3 miles, a movie theater would be nice too. Pharmacy & gas stations maybe even a Target or Walmart, Costco's, Sam's Club or BJ's. We prefer mountains or hills with a Great view and we don't want to be sitting on top of our neighbors. We also prefer the newer courses where everyone hasn't been there for 15 + years. Anyhow...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! We are headed down to look around once more the 15th. And will be looking in SC also.

Thanks in Advance,

Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 09:08 AM

15 posts, read 80,883 times
Fox Den up near Statesville is one of the hillest(and longest) courses around that I know of, its pretty brutal. Good playing there, no doubt--be ready to be humbled!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:17 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,668,324 times
River Hills at Lake Wylie or Firethorne Country Club. Both are difficult courses with great scenery/landscapes.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:20 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,475,771 times
Verdict Ridge is crazy! I think its cart path only. My ball always ends up on the side furthest from the path. Great exercise

Old 02-25-2008, 12:10 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarunk View Post
Hi Everyone,

We're still trying to decide where to move hopefully by the end of April. Now my husband is concerned we're looking for two different things. So my questions are as follows.

Where are some of the most Beautiful Hilly Golf Communities in the Charlotte area, preferably private courses?

We're thinking Verdict Ridge, in Denver looks very appealing. But he's worried I'm going to feel like I'm stuck in the middle of no where. Some of our priorities are:

Must have Great Schools, Nice shopping, like groceries stores within 3 miles, a movie theater would be nice too. Pharmacy & gas stations maybe even a Target or Walmart, Costco's, Sam's Club or BJ's. We prefer mountains or hills with a Great view and we don't want to be sitting on top of our neighbors. We also prefer the newer courses where everyone hasn't been there for 15 + years. Anyhow...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! We are headed down to look around once more the 15th. And will be looking in SC also.

Thanks in Advance,

Lisa
Have you been here to see this area? You do realize this whole region is somewhat rolling/hilly?

It would help if you could tell us what your price range is . . . do you wish to belong to a country club and live in a gated golf course community? Is your DH looking for a challenging course - hence description "hilly?"

If your DH has a course he likes anywhere in the USA, someone will probably be familiar w/ it and be able to tell you how that course compares to the courses here.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:44 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,707,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCWellDrilling View Post
Fox Den up near Statesville is one of the hillest(and longest) courses around that I know of, its pretty brutal. Good playing there, no doubt--be ready to be humbled!
Not a realistic commute if you will be working in Charlotte!

Very hilly and pretty from I-77 though!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:06 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,338,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarunk View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks in Advance,

Lisa
I might be able to narrow this down for you on the South Carolina side if you are only interested in private golf courses...as there are only two that I am aware of:

The first one would be located in River Hills Plantation, Lake Wylie SC (a gated community):
River Hills Community Association - RiverHillsPlantation.com

The other is Rock Hill Country Club: Welcome to Rock Hill Country Club!

Now if you were interested in public courses...I would have suggested Tega Cay Golf Course as it would have fit much of what your looking for (plus Tega Cay is known for their rugged terrrain): Tega Cay Golf Club | Fort Mill | Rock Hill, South Carolina Golf Club and Conference Center (tegacaysc.org).

Here is a link you may be interested in that covers the Private golf courses in Charlotte and surrounding areas (Charlotte Golf Course Directory for Private Courses). It also has public courses listed (and includes pictures...if hubby wants to take a look at the terrain himself).

Happy Hunting!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Have you been here to see this area? You do realize this whole region is somewhat rolling/hilly?

It would help if you could tell us what your price range is . . . do you wish to belong to a country club and live in a gated golf course community? Is your DH looking for a challenging course - hence description "hilly?"

If your DH has a course he likes anywhere in the USA, someone will probably be familiar w/ it and be able to tell you how that course compares to the courses here.
Thanks right now we're just looking to rent with the hopes of buying in 2 years between $550 & $650. My husband loves to golf though although I'm more into the family stuff. As for what I'm looking for: Lifestyle (http://www.bridgemill.com/html/lifestyle.php - broken link)

But as for golf when we lived in Chicago he loved going to WI to golf at Kohler:
Destination KOHLER:Golf Landing:Golf:Blackwolf Run:Whistling Straits

as for here in Pa he loves going to Olde Stonewall for the Challenge:
Olde Stonewall - Pittsburgh Golf

Although he's only played once he also likes Oakmont:

http://www.oakmont-countryclub.org/default.aspxp=CourseTourDefault&ssid=88629&vnf=1 (broken link)

My husband is usually around a 7 handcap, I think, but loves challenging courses. I grew in Goldsboro, NC so it was awfully flat that way. He grew up in PA where there's hills everywhere so that's what he is use to. As for the ttype of house we want we love the decks that over look a huge drop, valley or cliff like.

Anyhow, I appreciate everyone's help!!! I love theis site to get everyone's take on what you all think about your area. Anyhow...

Thanks Again,
Lisa

Old 02-25-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Not a realistic commute if you will be working in Charlotte!

Very hilly and pretty from I-77 though!
BTW my husband works from home but will occasionally need to get to the airport like once a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte