U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-26-2016, 03:46 AM
 
145 posts, read 92,286 times
Reputation: 269

Advertisements

You must not have kids yet, because Indy and Charlotte are great family cities. Having kids recalibrates your definition of being 'bored'. I wish i could get back to feeling bored again, just once....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2016, 08:16 AM
 
126 posts, read 88,596 times
Reputation: 47
Charlotte is a great place IMHO for anyone. We moved from Florida and it is great over here. If you like the mountains and outdoors, this is a great place. The uptown is great as well, it is like a "mini"- Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 08:53 AM
 
501 posts, read 339,828 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhcstl View Post
That's very true. We didn't like Indy so much because we find it to be a very "blue-collar" city with mostly chain restaurants. How do I put it....it's just so boring.
I don't understand the thing about "chain" restaurants. There are many restaurants of all types in Charlotte. Some of the chain restaurants are excellent and are popular all over the U.S. They are chain restaurant because they are dependable and have been successful. There are hundreds of non-chain restaurants in town. many fail. Many are opened by people that think they can come to this city and try something different and be a hit. Most have failed as they really weren't very talented chefs or the demand wasn't there. That opportunity has mostly passed. I feel that Indy has plenty of non-chain restaurants. And, it is sad that you hold it against a place because it is "blue collar." Charlotte has a metro of over two and a half million. If you can't find it here, you probably won't find it anywhere. We also have a blue-collar element. You may want to save yourself some money and frustration and go to San Francisco. We have endured enough crying and gripping from north-easterners over the decades. Most, fortunately, are content and have assimilated well. Sometimes if people wait until they are over 40, they become more accepting of others and tolerate more things in life that aren't perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 01:09 PM
 
6,270 posts, read 9,995,686 times
Reputation: 4723
Chain usually refers to generics like Outback, Applebee's, and Chili's. However, anything with more than 1-2 locations is technically a chain. Viva Chicken and Bad Daddy's burgers are two GREAT "chains" that any foodie should try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 05:54 PM
 
94 posts, read 124,742 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
I don't understand the thing about "chain" restaurants. There are many restaurants of all types in Charlotte. Some of the chain restaurants are excellent and are popular all over the U.S. They are chain restaurant because they are dependable and have been successful. There are hundreds of non-chain restaurants in town. many fail. Many are opened by people that think they can come to this city and try something different and be a hit. Most have failed as they really weren't very talented chefs or the demand wasn't there. That opportunity has mostly passed. I feel that Indy has plenty of non-chain restaurants. And, it is sad that you hold it against a place because it is "blue collar." Charlotte has a metro of over two and a half million. If you can't find it here, you probably won't find it anywhere. We also have a blue-collar element. You may want to save yourself some money and frustration and go to San Francisco. We have endured enough crying and gripping from north-easterners over the decades. Most, fortunately, are content and have assimilated well. Sometimes if people wait until they are over 40, they become more accepting of others and tolerate more things in life that aren't perfect.
Well, there is no offense meant here, but I guess you might be venting too much of your anger on someone who you don't even know. When I talked about "blue collar" or "chain restaurants", I didn't mean that they are bad, I simply meant that we do not feel we fit in too much with a city characterized by that. If that offends you, I apologize. You did give a lot of helpful advice and we learnt a lot from your insights. Thank you for your input and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 05:56 PM
 
94 posts, read 124,742 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Chain usually refers to generics like Outback, Applebee's, and Chili's. However, anything with more than 1-2 locations is technically a chain. Viva Chicken and Bad Daddy's burgers are two GREAT "chains" that any foodie should try.
I very much agree with you on this one. Local chains are often very interesting, national chains have standard quality, but you know, they sometimes lack character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Historic West End
4,199 posts, read 3,564,439 times
Reputation: 4024
For the love of God. Its not the culture or city, but the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 07:02 PM
 
94 posts, read 124,742 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChillax View Post
You must not have kids yet, because Indy and Charlotte are great family cities. Having kids recalibrates your definition of being 'bored'. I wish i could get back to feeling bored again, just once....
You are right on that one. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 10:18 PM
 
376 posts, read 224,160 times
Reputation: 342
Without some additional details or clarifying information, perhaps you're asking people to wing it with their possible responses. Given Asia's pretty darn large and consequently highly diverse, Asian couple from which general area or specific country? Or, Asian-American of which ethnic background? If the latter, have you even lived in your parents', grandparents', etc. native country? Or minimally lived abroad? What do you and your spouse/partner enjoy? What's entertaining, exciting, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 06:26 AM
 
145 posts, read 85,408 times
Reputation: 123
I would come down here for a visit to see how you like it first. To me, Charlotte really is a boring place as I grew up in a very large metropolis (Philadelphia) I was relocated here for a job a couple of years ago. As in terms of "city life", there isn't much here. The only area that feels "city" is uptown (this is what they refer to downtown as) and it's not even that big. Once you leave uptown it's all suburban sprawl and you need a car to get everywhere. Charlotte is a city that kind of has a smaller town feel to it. There is an Asian population here, however it is nothing like you would find in the northeastern US or the west coast. There is no Chinatown. I would definitely choose LA over Charlotte no brainer haha. Charlotte is sleepy and completely devoid of culture IMO. And public transit here is a joke. No subway and the buses are not very frequent. I know this post sounds like a downer, but this is just my honest opinion as a big city northerner. So perhaps you'll like it here if you come to visit. Good luck in your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:10 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top